Heavy Grips Q

TheJailer521

I got my first set of grippers hg100-350 this week, and I am already having trouble with the training. I can close the hg200 20+ times for multiple sets, but am still a little under half inch from being able to close the hg250. Does that sound normal, or is that due to hg's lack of quality? I just started grip training about a week ago, so maybe I'm just impatient.

If it is normal what will it take to get it closed negs, strap holds, and choker work?

Thanks for any and all help.

Guest Bullitt
I got my first set of grippers hg100-350 this week, and I am already having trouble with the training. I can close the hg200 20+ times for multiple sets, but am still a little under half inch from being able to close the hg250. Does that sound normal, or is that due to hg's lack of quality? I just started grip training about a week ago, so maybe I'm just impatient.

If it is normal what will it take to get it closed negs, strap holds, and choker work?

While the HG's are better than store bought grippers, they do vary quite a bit. If you are doing multiple 20 rep sets with the 200, you should normally at least be able to close the 250. Sounds like you got an easy 200 and a hard 250. Nothing inherently wrong with that, you just have a bigger spread between the grippers than normal. It will come.

I switched a few months ago from the HGs to Captains of Crush and Beef builder for the reason that it was just too hard to know where I was with the HGs compared to other people. That being said, you can still use them to train and get a much stronger grip. You might want to cut down on the big multi rep sets and do more singles, partials and negatives with the 250. That will get you closing it in no time. :)

While the HG's are better than store bought grippers, they do vary quite a bit. If you are doing multiple 20 rep sets with the 200, you should normally at least be able to close the 250. Sounds like you got an easy 200 and a hard 250. Nothing inherently wrong with that, you just have a bigger spread between the grippers than normal. It will come.

I switched a few months ago from the HGs to Captains of Crush and Beef builder for the reason that it was just too hard to know where I was with the HGs compared to other people. That being said, you can still use them to train and get a much stronger grip. You might want to cut down on the big multi rep sets and do more singles, partials and negatives with the 250. That will get you closing it in no time. :)

I appreciate the quick response, I will give that a try for sure.

While the Heavy Grips do vary a lot, I would say closing the HG200 certainly means you are more than ready to move up to the next level. What you can start with is putting up a post on here to sell all your HG's or actually putting them all in eBay and moving up to something more accurate, precise, and useful = Captains of Crush.

The reason you want your training tool to be the best is because you want to know where you're at and want to progress with something more accurate. HG's tend to season a lot and vary from one to another and the quality is relatively low.

Since we know you can close the HG200 for 20 reps for multiple sets, I would say order the #1.5 and #2 CoC Grippers.

You can skip the #1 because usually it's about the same as an HG200 or slightly easier.

Another option would be to just order the #2 gripper, it's slightly easier than the HG250 from what I remember and just try to see if you're closing that.

If you are closing that, just practice holds with it and when you're ready to move up - then think of your next gripper.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DannyGrip

^

What I'd suggest in the interim is to re-mount the handles on your HG200, to flush or maybe slightly beyond. You will then have a harder gripper and one that will probably get you to the HG250 for a little of your time and effort + the cost of a little epoxy.

There are a few threads about doing this. :)

What I'd suggest in the interim is to re-mount the handles on your HG200, to flush or maybe slightly beyond. You will then have a harder gripper and one that will probably get you to the HG250 for a little of your time and effort + the cost of a little epoxy.

There are a few threads about doing this. :)

That, too :D

hg's are pretty wild..

i own a few of them.. hg's spring wise are all over the damn place. The HG350 I have is much easier to close than my 300 but both are solid grippers.

thanks again for all the help so far guys, adding in the choker work brought me down from a half inch to just mm's away. Hoping within the new couple of trainings to get it closed. But yea I deff see some CoC grippers in my future. :D

thanks again for all the help so far guys, adding in the choker work brought me down from a half inch to just mm's away. Hoping within the new couple of trainings to get it closed. But yea I deff see some CoC grippers in my future. :D

yea I have a HG250 300 and 350 that are all significantly harder than they are supposed to be. My HG300 was just calibrated and it came in around 170 pre seasoning then ended up around 160 after seasoning. Stout bugger