Rolling Thunder

deadgame1

Just ordere th RT anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom on training with this tool?

I just started myself so I'm completely ignorant. Adam Glass did make a few suggestions on training logs from certain members to read in a thread I started on my very first RT lift. Maybe read his post and go from there.

Good luck with it man. :rock

The most recent consensus seems to be to use it often and for many different movements, don't use chalk but try to keep the hand clammyish.

I would recommend regular extensor work alongside it.

I recommend doing it at the beginning of your workout so you can get a true evaluation of your grip strength. Like grippers, right after, or between, medium/high load squats is the best time to do them, IMO.

Also like grippers I find that maximal (1-2 reps) and sub maximal (3-5 reps) yields the best results. Wrist and finger strength is critical with the new handle, work on it.. levering and various forms of curls.

Edited by Omari

The most recent consensus seems to be to use it often and for many different movements, don't use chalk but try to keep the hand clammyish.

I would recommend regular extensor work alongside it.

Right on I'v recently started doing finger walks with a 4x4 they are helping alongside with OLL's and band work thanks for the advice!

I recommend doing it at the beginning of your workout so you can get a true evaluation of your grip strength. Like grippers, right after, or between, medium/high load squats is the best time to do them, IMO.

Also like grippers I find that maximal (1-2 reps) and sub maximal (3-5 reps) yields the best results. Wrist and finger strength is critical with the new handle, work on it.. levering and various forms of curls.

Sounds like it will fir nicely in my program. I'm doing the other lifts you've recomended already so I'm hoping it'll be good. The rep and set scheme is how I train my pinch lifts I also find good rewsults with this scheme thanks alot guys!! :D

Just ordere th RT anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom on training with this tool?

Yes! Attach a heavy weight to it and lift it with the RT. Repeat as often as you need to. Psyche yourself up for maximum weight. Shoot for 200 pounds or more. SYBERSNOTT HAS SPOKEN!!! :D

Yes! Attach a heavy weight to it and lift it with the RT. Repeat as often as you need to. Psyche yourself up for maximum weight. Shoot for 200 pounds or more. SYBERSNOTT HAS SPOKEN!!! :D

PRICELESS COMEDY !! youre a funny mofo snott!! I love it!

got the new RT in today AWESOME !!!!! I thought it would roll a little more but it's still awesome hooked it up and pulled a little bit before I have to run some errands I didn't thiknk it would be so big I was surprised!!

got the new RT in today AWESOME !!!!! I thought it would roll a little more but it's still awesome hooked it up and pulled a little bit before I have to run some errands I didn't thiknk it would be so big I was surprised!!

You should try a 3" Crusher from FBBC! 12.2lbs!!! and a 4.4lbs loading pin!

Anyways, back on topic. I hope to get my RT in the next few days. Thanks for asking, as I would've loaded up with chalk and went no where... :)

Michael

So I used the rt tonight used it after regular lifts was only able to pull 90lbs. I think I could have done a little better if I had used it before lifts but I'm not trippin about so it's alright I guess not what I'd tyhought i would get but hey! So I just hit hit with single negs then did some 2hp also not so good but it's gettin there

Edited by deadgame1

So I used the rt tonight used it after regular lifts was only able to pull 90lbs. I think I could have done a little better if I had used it before lifts but I'm not trippin about so it's alright I guess not what I'd tyhought i would get but hey! So I just hit hit with single negs then did some 2hp also not so good but it's gettin there

Good job! I just received my RT (Older seasoned one) and the best I was able to get off the ground was 130lbs.

Rt

Michael

Good job! I just received my RT (Older seasoned one) and the best I was able to get off the ground was 130lbs.

Rt

Michael

Plates only, or does that include the device?

Rt

Michael

Plates only, or does that include the device?

Plates only. Add the 4.4 for the loading pin and whatever the old RTs weighed.

Michael

include everything, you have to lift everything. You don't see people doing a deadlift and just count the plates

Get ready for the most frustrating grip implement on the planet ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know what is considered "the best" way to train with it - I've seen all sorts of different approaches to training with it.

I train with mine every-other workout, on the non-deadlift workout (I train mon-wed-fri).

I'm up to 90lbs now, and I just lift and hold for 2 seconds, and do 10 reps with each hand. I don't rest between lifts, I just lift with the left, then right, then left and keep going until I've done 10 with each hand. I just do that for 1 set and that's it, then on to another hand/wrist/forearm exercise. I'm breathing pretty hard after I'm done, that's for sure.

I add 2.5lbs each workout, and I'm progressing nicely. I'm not in a hurry - I just keep climbing the mountain slow and steady on all my lifts.

Edited by eltorrente

I thought it would roll a little more but it's still awesome hooked it up and pulled a little bit before I have to run some errands I didn't thiknk it would be so big I was surprised!!

O.K., O.K. - tell us what you're doing with it. I just got mine not too long ago, and yes, I really like it!

I got my RT and daisy chains and 2 large carabiners at ironmind. Putting a carabiner at bottom then daisy chain through the plates with a carabiner attached to the RT. We ve pulled close to 200 ibs that way. The RT is by far my favorite tool.

singles a negatives really thats about it so far

What's the weight? I'm maxing at 150 pounds right now which totally sucks for me considering I've lifted a lot more with my old RT handle. :(

only 100 lbs in plates it started at 90 lbs i figured i could hit more weight but was sadly mistaken! It hurt my feelings a bit and then i stomped off and ppouted in my room!! :cry:cry

It hurt my feelings a bit and then i stomped off and ppouted in my room!! :cry:cry

What the... ? What kind of training method is this? I've never heard of it before... ;)