Unbending Steel

AnimalCage

I've been working with a 3' long, 1/2" CRS. I cross the tips one day, then uncross them the next. In my attempts to straighten the steel, I have difficulty finding leverage to get it past the 90 degree angle. I know the muscle groups change with the angle and grip. Has anyone tried this, or have any suggestions?

I've tried to straighten out a bar but you can never get it straight again.

But it is fun & a nice workout.If you use yer leg the bar just keeps on twisting :( .

I'm just getting into the bending thing myself, I find the shorter pieces are more difficult to unbend. It's weird how much it wants to flip out of your hands compared to bending isn't!?

Jon@han

Gripper,

Yeah, the twisting drove me nuts until I saw a photo of Brookfield bending a 4' bar around his foot...twice. Aha and alas, the foot is what keeps it from twisting at certain points. But unbending past 90, the only leverage I can get is on my hip, and that's not enough. I suppose it's the back muscles that are deficient?

Jon@han,

I haven't tried to unbend shorter pieces. I'll keep that in mind when I go back to short bends.

Thanks, Alan

I came across the exact same problem with the 3'x1/2" HRS. With a really tight grip, I can pull it to about 91-92 degrees, but not a degree farter. :tongue

I've spent hours trying to find some technique to straighten it, and have failed. I found some theories, but the body positions would take ungodly strength to straighten it.

As for 3/8" steel, It can be pulled back to about 120 degrees, but straightening even that is near impossible.

Conclusion: Learn to love that 90 degree mark. :D

A friend came to my cube and bent it back to a "U". I then unbent it. He bent it again. I unbent it again. Each time we went through the process, it unbent a little further. I also noticed the area of the angle was becoming quite warm. I believe the heat was allowing me to take it a little further.

My next goal is to create two 1 1/2' sections :yikes

Alan

I've only bent and rebent a 3/16" steel rod that was 7" long, I've yet to open up a 5" piece of the same rod past 45 degrees. I've read somewhere that people bend and rebend a thin piece like that enough that it breaks! Not me...well not yet ;)

Funny you mentioned the heat factor. I've been cutting my rods with a hacksaw...talk about heat! Sometimes it travels right to the other end of the rod!

Jon@han