Math Experts?

Roark

Please some help:

What is the formula to convert the area of a globe into

cubic feet?

If a solid sphere has 12" diameter, for example, or 11",

how would I convert that to cubic feet?

Also, for one cubic foot to be put into a sphere, what would the diameter be?

I am wroking on Goerner's metal ball and could use some

help. BarBender, Nathan?

Thank you.

Pi is 3.14159 not 3.1428, although I don't think it would make too much difference. Answering your question about the one cubic foot into a sphere, the sphere radius would have to be 7.444 inches.

Tom,

Thanks for the correction on Pi.

So, a dumbell with two speheres of 14.888" diameter each, would be a dumbell having two cubic feet in the

spheres, plus the weight of the handle.

THAT would make the Millennium Bell look like a

keychain attachment :tongue

BarBender,

Thanks. I think :huh

I'll try some calculations later today, and ask if you

would grade my results later?

Math is more my soot than my suit.

Considering the current climate concerning posting rules for "out of this world claims" I figured you could benefit from "out of this world" formulas. :laugh

Yeah I saw the date on mine & it said 1996. I know there was a big beowulf cluster built recently to calculate pi because my U loaned out their supercomputer for a day to whoever was organizing it.

Nathan and Adam,

What do you guys do to relax :sleeping ? Figure out what was wrong with Einstein's theories :yikes ? I never realized there was such a thing as experts on pi (other than the kind you eat :D ).

Mark

Mark, as a matter of fact I do read quite a bit about Einstein's theories, physics is an area of interest for me. But that's neither here nor there. I actually had read the pi article a day or so prior to this thread, so it was still fresh in my mind. I am an engineer and it's my nature to be persnickety. :D

Edited by Adam Black

Barbender,

My apologies :ohmy . I certainly did not mean to exclude you from our elite group of math whizzes. And this discussion seems a bit transcendental and not so normal :D

Adam,

Let me make sure I got this right. You are an engineer who is an expert on Einstein's theories, reads about pi, and is also an expert on pie :yikes . What free time?

Nathan,

Well at least you've struck a balance between the mind and body :whacked Sounds like your time is about split between posting on the grip board and memorizing pi. :dry

Mark

Barbender,

My apologies :ohmy . I certainly did not mean to exclude you from our elite group of math whizzes. And this discussion seems a bit transcendental and not so normal :D

Adam,

Let me make sure I got this right. You are an engineer who is an expert on Einstein's theories, reads about pi, and is also an expert on pie :yikes . What free time?

Nathan,

Well at least you've struck a balance between the mind and body :whacked Sounds like your time is about split between posting on the grip board and memorizing pi. :dry

Mark

Adam,

Well, that's not quite right. I am no expert on Einstein's theroies. I just enjoy physics and have a good working knowledge of Einstein's work. But the rest sounds right. :D