Certification On Inch Dumbell

Lol999

I've only picked up on this briefly in other posts. Where are we in terms of this happening? Is there general agreement drawn up between folks as to what constitutes an inch dumbell, assuming the use of replicas, and what the certification process would involve? I ask because I'm on the verge of having a large dumbell made with the ultimate aim of certifying on something, but if it's not going to happen I may save myself the £150-£200 and not bother.

Cheers, Lol

There is a gripboard cert. The rules are basically an inch DB replica is to be used, and the lift must be done without significant tilt, therefore keeping the bells horizontal throughout the lift. It does not specify what sort of replica so you would assume that a Holle inch, heavygrip tools inch, ironmind inch etc... are all acceptable bells for this certification. The heavygrip tools inch replica is probably actually the hardest one to lift as it has a 2.52'' diamater, whereas the Holle's replica has a 2.38'' handle - just like the original that Thomas Inch had. I think the ironmind inches which have been discontinued have a 2.47'' diameter.

While on the subject of inch dumbells does anyone know where the original inch is kept? Or who owns it these days?

Indeed. Plus it's more of a feat strength - no one gets a certificate.

I'm curious, would a regular old 2.5" handled DB loaded to the proper weight constitute an inch lift? Or is there something more to the spherical design of the bell that I'm not getting?

I'm curious, would a regular old 2.5" handled DB loaded to the proper weight constitute an inch lift? Or is there something more to the spherical design of the bell that I'm not getting?

No, and yes. The bells being the shape they are is what makes the lift hard. Any globe dumbell will be harder to lift than it's weight equivalent plate loaded on a bar. This is because it tries to rotate out of your hand a lot more than a plate loaded bar will. When you try to lift the inch, or any globe DB, the handle rotates towards the thumb and if you are not strong enough, out of your hand. I think when you can lift 90-100kg on a thick handled DB setup loaded with 5kg plates (10kg plates or bigger and you can tilt it excessively and brace it against the forearm, negating the rotation and making the lift a lot easier) you will be ready for the inch challenge. The rolling thunder has carryover but the problem with the RT is the ROM is 5''-6'' for me using an ironmind loading pin. Hardly the full range of deadlifting the inch.

Edited by CoC#3

Thanks for the reply Sam, I get it now. I saw on strongergrip.com that there was a loadable inch replica photo on the site in the "New stuff" section but the last time I checked they weren't for sale yet. An Inch DB lift would be something fun and challenging for myself in the next year or so, I think I'll start with thick handled loadable DB's and work my way up to 200lbs on the 2.5" handle.

Oh, and after checking here they are:

http://www.strongergrip.com/Images/New%20S...loadableDBs.jpg

Now I'd love to get one of those sometime next year if they're still in production.