Measuring Hand

BigTallOx

Lighting is kinda dark, but it looks to me like you might have measured your hands a tad too far down. They're likely a hair under 9 inches. Either way, you've got big hands. I'm not sure how it will limit you other than the fact that thin handled grippers might feel awkward (HG grippers) but you will do well with thick handled ones.

That's a big freakin hand. No limits, providing you have the strength, on grip feats, especially pinch & thickbar.

Am I measuring my hand correctly?

http://www.brianmielke.com/hand_20090511.jpg

If so, it looks like it's about 9.25". Is that going to limit me in anyway?

Okay, that accounts for your Gripboard name.... :cool

i don't know how big my hands either, because when i measure with a soft tape like that it always comes out bigger then measuring with a hard ruler or aluminum measuring tape. have you measured with anything besides that?

have you measured with anything besides that?

I wasn't exactly sure where to start. I read the first crease on your wrist. If that's the case, then with a ruler my left hand is just under 9" and my right hand is just over 9".

I'm new to grip training, but I'm finding it fun. Today I maxed out on the grip roller where I train ( for powerlifting ), I believe it's 2" in diameter and the rope hangs down probably 3 - 4 feet. I was able to do sets of 3-5 with 5 45 pound plates on the bottom of the rope. Is that strong?

Edited by BigTallOx

I wasn't exactly sure where to start. I read the first crease on your wrist. If that's the case, then with a ruler my left hand is just under 9" and my right hand is just over 9".

I'm new to grip training, but I'm finding it fun. Today I maxed out on the grip roller where I train ( for powerlifting ), I believe it's 2" in diameter and the rope hangs down probably 3 - 4 feet. I was able to do sets of 3-5 with 5 45 pound plates on the bottom of the rope. Is that strong?

holy crap that is good, at least i think anyways lol that's a lot of weight

There's another grip training thing that I don't know what to call it. It's kind of like a square frame with a flat base and a handle thats attached to where you can add plates, the plates and the handle moves up and down along the square frame. So, you basically grab two steal bars ( both maybe 1/2" in diameter ) and top one stays stationary and the bottom one is loaded up with weight. Over the last couple weeks, the weight I can do on it has sky rocketed ( I can now do more than it can hold ). What fun, I love this grip stuff, lol.

i just noticed you are a complete monster. 6'8 and 330lbs, 43 yrs old ...man you must've built a hell of a strength base. i know a lot of guys around your age who have enormous hands and forearms, not because their particularly big but just because they've worked manual labor for a long time.

There's another grip training thing that I don't know what to call it. It's kind of like a square frame with a flat base and a handle thats attached to where you can add plates, the plates and the handle moves up and down along the square frame. So, you basically grab two steal bars ( both maybe 1/2" in diameter ) and top one stays stationary and the bottom one is loaded up with weight. Over the last couple weeks, the weight I can do on it has sky rocketed ( I can now do more than it can hold ). What fun, I love this grip stuff, lol.

Yep.. that's called a 'grip machine'

I wish I had one of those at my gym.

i don't know how big my hands either, because when i measure with a soft tape like that it always comes out bigger then measuring with a hard ruler or aluminum measuring tape. have you measured with anything besides that?

The soft tape will follow the contours of the hand exaggerating the reading, with a well muscled hand this will be even more.

i just noticed you are a complete monster. 6'8 and 330lbs, 43 yrs old ...man you must've built a hell of a strength base. i know a lot of guys around your age who have enormous hands and forearms, not because their particularly big but just because they've worked manual labor for a long time.

They have enormous hands because they've worked manual labour for a long time? :erm

The soft tape will follow the contours of the hand exaggerating the reading, with a well muscled hand this will be even more.

They have enormous hands because they've worked manual labour for a long time? :erm

yeah, i mean like big and thick. i even know a guy who's a piano player and he has pretty large hands, as in he was born like that, but most of the others had probably regular sized hands but the muscle and thickness of it was pretty unbelievable.

i just noticed you are a complete monster. 6'8 and 330lbs, 43 yrs old ...man you must've built a hell of a strength base.

I've been lifting weights for a while. But I started competing in powerlifting about a year ago, basically that's when I feel like I finally figured some things out, and really focused on training for pure strength. Over the last year, I'm really happy with how strength has improved.

i know a lot of guys around your age who have enormous hands and forearms, not because their particularly big but just because they've worked manual labor for a long time.

I type on a computer all day long.

Edited by BigTallOx

[quote name='Pancake Sprawl' post='439045' date='May 11

Yep.. that's called a 'grip machine'

I wish I had one of those at my gym.

Cool, thanks. I didn't know what to call it. I like loading it up with as much weight as will fit on it and holding it closed for as long as I can. But one day I made the mistake of doing that when I was lifting during lunch, when I got back to work my hands and forearms were so spent it was impossible to type.

Am I measuring my hand correctly?

http://www.brianmielke.com/hand_20090511.jpg

If so, it looks like it's about 9.25". Is that going to limit me in anyway?

For comparison this is my hand http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8826 not so large as your hand but fingers like pundle of c...s :D . I do hard work with my hands every day, you can even see some grease on my hand... :rolleyes:laugh