Oiling Gripper Springs

hamil1km

The only thing I worry about is how much easier does oiling the springs make the close. I'm not looking to make them easier and get a false sense of security. I just oiled mine to get rid of the squeaking. It didn't seem any easier, but does anybody know if this actually makes them easier to close? If so, by how much? I think I read somewhere on the board that it might decrease the poundage by 2 - 3lbs.

sometimes oiling doesn't make mauch of a difference - it all depends on how the spring presses against itself - some springs are wound tightly against themselves .. in this case oiling would help more - if your gripper is already in fairly good shape even if the spring is tightly wound, the oiling, again, may not make much of a difference - maybe 2-3lbs like you said, or if it's a gripper where the spring isn't already bound up on itself and you have always been able to see small gaps between the spring coils then you may never need to oil this type of gripper or the difference will simply be minimal between oiling or not, but if it's a gripper that has been sitting in your humid dungeon for along time without any kind of oiling and the coils are already pressed tightly together, the difference could be vast - so once again, in a nutshell, it's on a case to case basis with each gripper. some respond nicely to oil, others don't

Hey Paul, this is way off topic but what made you decide to stop fighting MMA?

Well at least with Gripping you are less likely to suffer serious injury lol. CRUSH!

had a couple bad injuries ie .. gade 4 seperation of my clavical - needed a full AC reconstruction surgery to fix it which it took over a year to heal and when I finally started getting back into the swing of things - I was helping one of my training partners to get ready for his WEC fight, we were sparring in the cage and he broke my jaw - after that finally healed, I had sorta lost interest beacause I started getting into all this grip stuff again and have been having tons of fun with it since. ah well

• 12 years later...
On 5/9/2009 at 1:08 PM, Captain Sam said:

Hi. Yesterday i did an experiment with one of my brand new #3,5:s

First i calibrated it straight out of the package, the result 80 kg.

next i oild it and it still calibrated 80 kg.

Next i closed it rather rapidly but not violently 200 times using a extended pipe when it was still in the RGC device, it still calibrated 80 kg!

I thought the oil would make it easier and certanly the 200 closes but none of it mattered....

Thanks cap. This old info still rates. I use wd40 on my grippers. I'm figuring once a month or every 2 months. Also keep each of my grippers in its own  ziplock bag rather than hang them up. So it seems to keep the springs oiled and ready to train on longer between oil treatments. 

Afternoon all

3-1 works the best, but for a quick lube job to take the squeaks away WD is good.

After a good cleaning it’s always good to hit 3-1

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 7:22 PM, John Knowlton said:

3-1 works the best, but for a quick lube job to take the squeaks away WD is good.

After a good cleaning it’s always good to hit 3-1

Thanks John. :) What grippers are you training with nowadays :)

Edited by ShelluvstheMostHigh
Just updating

Right now I’m using a mix of GHP and captains of crush

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hey all,  I'm curious can ghps and cocs keep most of their rgc strength if you had them rated say 25-30 years ago at 175.

How much strength would it have with regular use and maintained with oil in 2022.  I rem some folks said their grippers lost very little force over 20-25 yr period. 

Anyone have grippers older than 15 yrs? Share  your thoughts.😎💪

On 4/4/2022 at 9:59 PM, John Knowlton said:

Right now I’m using a mix of GHP and captains of crush

image.jpg

Nice I'm doing  long holds and closes and cat sets with the 1.5- 2.5 and negs with my goal gripper to tns a  filed 3.

I also do near close attempts and negs  with two 3.5s and my  ghp8 and occasionally on heavy grip days I mix in those huge negs with  two Coc4s and my Ghp10.

Do you go for No Set closes as well my brother?

Also hope your winter season is going  well John.  Blessings to you and your family from The Most High heavenly  Father in the name of his son and our lord and Savior Jesus Christ 😎🏋‍♀️

4 hours ago, ShelluvstheMostHigh said:

I'm curious can ghps and cocs keep most of their rgc strength if you had them rated say 25-30 years ago at 175.

Extensive usage is what causes a rating to decline slightly. Like, hundreds and hundreds of reps. If you take a rating and let a gripper sit there is no reason it would change. We have also found that even rust rarely affects a rating unless it’s bad in the exact right spots where the spring arms move against the spring body. The arm pits hehe. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Cannon said:

Extensive usage is what causes a rating to decline slightly. Like, hundreds and hundreds of reps. If you take a rating and let a gripper sit there is no reason it would change. We have also found that even rust rarely affects a rating unless it’s bad in the exact right spots where the spring arms move against the spring body. The arm pits hehe. 

Thanks so Much. I was always curious on this my brother. Love your products and  will be always recommending you strength tools. 

I had someone ask me this very question if grippers last if he bought a used one that was many years old one etc. :)