How To Grip'n'rip

Paul Knight

I wanted to make a vid on how to grip and rip - Smitty and Andrew were kind enough to teach me at last years GGC and I thought I would share the wealth - I didn't bother finishing the book because it already started hurting my right elbow - besides the hardest part is getting it started as you already know - hope it helps

Man, good stuff!! Thank you.

I have heard the arguments about grip and rip vs. popping, but really grip and rip is easy as hell if you know the technique. It has gotten to where I almost prefer to grip and rip.

I know what i am doing this weekend :D Thanks

Very nice video, thanks for posting. If I recall Edgin's video correctly, he's using a slightly different binding side hand positioning. I'll have to give this a try.

i tried it a couple of times (just getting the book into position) and i cant seem to get the same effect as you got at video point 1:45-1:50. my pages just seem to bridge up and fold up and stuff :(

edit ignore, i figured out what i had done wrong, but ill prolly need alot of practice :D

Edited by indiladhar

i got that crease within the pages once, but the hand position feels extremely awkward. for some reason i cant replicate that crease. tried the above on a small catalogue ive torn before and couldnt make any sort of a dent :dry

in saying that, i know im still not strong enough to be playing with yellow pages phonebooks, so maybe i should focus on getting much stronger so i can actually tear them, and then figuring out how to hold the books to tear :D

Nice tutorial Paul!

I just watched it with no sound at work and it was still a great video. I think I know how I'll be spending sunday.

brent

i got that crease within the pages once, but the hand position feels extremely awkward. for some reason i cant replicate that crease. tried the above on a small catalogue ive torn before and couldnt make any sort of a dent :dry

in saying that, i know im still not strong enough to be playing with yellow pages phonebooks, so maybe i should focus on getting much stronger so i can actually tear them, and then figuring out how to hold the books to tear :D

having your thumb down like that felt awkward for me too for a while, but it doesn't feel as awkward anymore - are you pinching the book while the pages are hanging down? keep it pinched and when you start to pull back you will see the crease ........ then just start bulling BACK (not up or down) and you should see it starting to tear. Try to find a yellowbook that's like 750-1000 pages and you should be able to rip it even if your technique is off a little - GL

I noticed you didn't finish it.... *cough*can't?*cough*...

I wish I could do it. :\ I'll figure out a way.

Michael

Ripping phone books is fun, and a great trick for parties too.

great instruction Paul !!!

having your thumb down like that felt awkward for me too for a while, but it doesn't feel as awkward anymore - are you pinching the book while the pages are hanging down? keep it pinched and when you start to pull back you will see the crease ........ then just start bulling BACK (not up or down) and you should see it starting to tear. Try to find a yellowbook that's like 750-1000 pages and you should be able to rip it even if your technique is off a little - GL

appreciate the added advice. ill be sure to try it as soon as i get my hands on a catalogue. would this work on any sized catalogue or only on the thicker ones? *is thinking about *borrowing* a few from his sister... :happy

appreciate the added advice. ill be sure to try it as soon as i get my hands on a catalogue. would this work on any sized catalogue or only on the thicker ones? *is thinking about *borrowing* a few from his sister... :happy

when you say "catalogue" do you mean phonebook, beacuse parts catalogues are alot harder than phonebooks, that may be your prob right there - the thinner the book the easier it is. GL

when you say "catalogue" do you mean phonebook, beacuse parts catalogues are alot harder than phonebooks, that may be your prob right there - the thinner the book the easier it is. GL

Practice your technique on a couple medium sized phone books. I tore one right away after seeing technique. then I went to a giant thick metro area yellow pages and was able to tear that one. This was less than a week from me learning how to tear a phonebook.

It's not as hard as you think

Thanks again Paul! I did my thickest grip n' rip so far tonight - 1280 pages. I tried a few rips with one inch books and they felt ridiculously easy. Thicker wasn't too bad either :)

And to think I spent $40 bucks for an instructional video :cry Paul, why didn't you post this video like 1 year ago :laugh

found a few catalogues, around 650 pages so nothing too big. got one here right now. followed everything as best i could (watched the video whilst doing it) and still nothing, no crease etc, the pages just dont seem to behave for me *shrugs* ill try to get my hands on a yellow pages book and seeing if maybe itll work with that, rather than a catalogue.

yea by catalogue i meant parts catalogues (ones with glossy pages) and didnt mean phonebooks. ive torn these before on a few occasions by just grabbing and tearing (the way you showed not to do it at the end of the video), so i know i can tear them, but i cant seem to make a dent using the technique shown in your video. the hand positioning is very awkward & i cant seem to generate any type of force with my hands like that.

Careful, when Clay Edgin made a tutorial on how to tear phonebooks he was accused "literally decimating the iron game" :D

I can't wait for certain individuals to see this thread :D

Careful, when Clay Edgin made a tutorial on how to tear phonebooks he was accused "literally decimating the iron game" :D

I can't wait for certain individuals to see this thread :D

As in, "I hate when someone figures out how to do something we do...and then tells everyone else how to do it!"?

wow, this is a better tutorial then Clay Edgin's one i read a while back. i always thought i was just too weak to tear one without popping it. because the way i'd try to tear it is the exact way you say not to do it in the video lol. i just tried man handle it, which i see now is impossible, i never knew there was a technique to gripping and ripping also.