Palm Skin Tears With Grippers

NEETOP

Recently, every time a train with grippers at CoC #3 level or above I tear a huge chunk of skin in my palm, right where the bottom of the handle of the gripper is postioned. I tried placing the gripper in a different position but when I move it back I lose all my leverage. Should I just man up and let the skin toughen or are there any better alternatives? Any advice would be appreciated in helping my training. (Btw, sharp or smooth knurling I still have this problem)

Recently, every time a train with grippers at CoC #3 level or above I tear a huge chunk of skin in my palm, right where the bottom of the handle of the gripper is postioned. I tried placing the gripper in a different position but when I move it back I lose all my leverage. Should I just man up and let the skin toughen or are there any better alternatives? Any advice would be appreciated in helping my training. (Btw, sharp or smooth knurling I still have this problem)

I'm sure athletic tape would help. I'm not sure about in a competition,but for normal training, should help. Maybe a few layers and add chalk?

Michael

You need to go for a few weeks without letting the skin tear again. It needs to heal. I recommend two things:

1) Tape your palm. Just put a single piece of almost any kind of tape in line with your fingers, right over the problem.

2) Watch one of Teemu's videos. You'll see how he pulls his thumb back and brings it forward to the handle to stretch out the skin. Otherwise you end up with a ridge of skin under the handle and that's almost certainly causing your problem. I think Paul mentions this as well in his setting video.

Good luck. If it continues to happen, you're doing something wrong, probably related to #2 above.

I have this problem aswell - infact i rememeber mobster saying to me once he's never seen my palms without a skin tear in the position you mention. It is annoying because there is a line in your hand in the position so it never completely heals. Matt, could you explain in more detail about stretching out the skin? I have seen both videos you mention and i set exactly the same so i can't see what the issue is.

I dont get tears on my palm, i get hard ridges at the top of my middle finger just below the first crease, quite painful but the worst is the one on my little finger perfectly between the two knuckles and i have to leave grippers for a few days when that opens up :S

Actually since doing choked #3 closes i've noticed an imprint of the handles on my palm and another ridge popping up exactly in the middle of the handles :P Doesnt hurt but it's like a red/brown line of tough skin. I found that leaving grippers for 4-5 days allowed all these tears and ridges to heal up/soften and has helped a lot.

If I rip a hole in my hand or tear a callous off, I just super glue it up and it's fixed :)

If I rip a hole in my hand or tear a callous off, I just super glue it up and it's fixed :)

That's exactly what I do. I keep tubes of super glue stashed all over the place: at the office, in my gym bag, in my gripper bag. You never know when you'll need to replace some valuable skin a gripper has taken away. :dry

I have this problem aswell - infact i rememeber mobster saying to me once he's never seen my palms without a skin tear in the position you mention. It is annoying because there is a line in your hand in the position so it never completely heals. Matt, could you explain in more detail about stretching out the skin? I have seen both videos you mention and i set exactly the same so i can't see what the issue is.

I'm trying to think of a good way to describe this.

Take a look at this picture. On most people, when you cup your hand, a ridge of skin is created between the two red lines I drew on that picture. Most people are putting the handle directly on that ridge or just in front of it toward the fingers. The tear happens as the gripper handle presses against and ultimately moves this ridge of skin. It has nowhere to go but to tear away. To protect against this, you can place the gripper handle and then open and close your hand slightly to make sure the skin under the gripper handle is "evenly distributed" for lack of a better term. You can eliminate that ridge in other words.

prevention: supple skin is far less likely to tear than tough, callused skin.

now i'm sure we all have proper 'mans hands' on these pages, but regular moisturising and good general skin care will help.

the comments about even load distribution are spot on.

cure: superglue works well for missing skin, but a quality zinc oxide tape is pretty good too. i've had good success using zinc tape for patching my hands for judo and rock climbing.

best of luck and stay strong!

Thanks guys.

That's exactly what I do. I keep tubes of super glue stashed all over the place: at the office, in my gym bag, in my gripper bag. You never know when you'll need to replace some valuable skin a gripper has taken away. :dry

Do you think that there is any long term damage from supergluing the skin back on or has anyone experienced any problems from this?

It's also a question of volume (the number of sets and reps some do). Mines low and even though I don't stretch the skin I get nothing. Both Paul and Sam do more reps and get it. There might be an issue with depth of setting too. It's much harder to do the stretch etc if you deep set.

It's also a question of volume (the number of sets and reps some do). Mines low and even though I don't stretch the skin I get nothing. Both Paul and Sam do more reps and get it. There might be an issue with depth of setting too. It's much harder to do the stretch etc if you deep set.

I've never had a tear on my hands from grippers - or you talkin bout P. Savage?

Yep. He's as bad as Sam. The worse I get is a little thickening of the skin on the inner side of my index fingers where I pull the handles in.

Thanks guys.

Do you think that there is any long term damage from supergluing the skin back on or has anyone experienced any problems from this?

I've been glueing up cuts and grazes for at least 6 years now and I've never had any problems. My coach even busted the inside of his bottom lip 2 days before a fight and had to super glue shut a half inch cut on the inside of his mouth. It's such a small amount of chemicals in the scheme of things, your probably getting more poisons in your system from food and drinking out of plastic bottles. And if it's good enough for the soldiers in 'Nam, it's good enough for me :rock