Practice Saturday

James Retarides

2pm. Hopefully we can get Jewel out. I want to get him training right on that rolling thunder.

2pm. Hopefully we can get Jewel out. I want to get him training right on that rolling thunder.

If someone has a truck or easily loadable car and wants to swing by my place Saturday to pick up the Inch so Jewel and anyone else can try it at practice, let me know.

I don't have a truck, but I do want to try that inch Bob. I'll be sure to bring that #3 as well.

I don't have a truck, but I do want to try that inch Bob. I'll be sure to bring that #3 as well.

Jewel Banks is coming and he says he is lifting the inch if it's there. :rock

Keep the camera rollin' Bob-O! :rock

Keep the camera rollin' Bob-O! :rock

With his hand size and overall hand/body strength, Jewel will be pulling the Inch Saturday or after just a few months or less of training to remedy whatever the weak link in the chain is, if any. My guess is that he'll likely need to build up his thumb strength first, unless his hand size and wrist/forearm strength are enough to overcome that-the reason I'm saying this is because the Blob stymied him and the shot was not easy for him either.

Now if James or Paul Walther or Jason Otto fully pull it, that would be jaw-dropping, given that they don't have huge hands (especially Paul, his might be a little smaller than mine).

For the guys who can get air, we can experiment with paradoxical deloading (adding weight to the finger side) or try some of the bands if there are some different strengths we can use for deloading.

I'll bring the camera if someone can get the Inch in their auto (Otto?) :)

Edited by odin

Hey James, have you lifted the Inch already?

No Florian, I have never even tried. My guess is that I can't get it yet. The most I have done on the RT is 185 so I probably have a good deal of training before I can lift the Inch. But I will. :rock

No Florian, I have never even tried. My guess is that I can't get it yet. The most I have done on the RT is 185 so I probably have a good deal of training before I can lift the Inch. But I will. :rock

You should try, James. Some people can lift it, that aren't stronger than you on the RT.

You should try, James. Some people can lift it, that aren't stronger than you on the RT.

I am looking forward to trying. It is going to come down to my fingers and whether my bum thumb can handle the stress. I feel like my wrist is strong enough to support that weight. I have done singles with that amount of weight wrist curling with a thick handle, not that it always translates. I have heard that the inch is just a different animal.

I hope I can come tomorrow, I don't know yet but will be there if work cooperates.

Inch lifting is good stuff(well trying that is), It will be fun watching that beast roll through some thumbs :D and my weak hand will be one it rolls through.

Scott, if you can't lift it I don't have a snowball's chance in Jamaica.

Scott, if you can't lift it I don't have a snowball's chance in Jamaica.

James, you won't know until you try. If you look in Burkhard Macht's gallery, you'll see at least a couple armwrestlers who pulled the Inch and I think he's posted some on the regular board, here's a thread about one AW who did it their first try.

That's one reason I want to gradually add a bit of AW into my grip mix, they tend to do well w/ the Inch.

I think Paul might surprise us all today, I'm sure he'll get significant air if not a full lift.

odin: I guess it's because of their incredible wrist strength? It would be interesting to know, maybe from Burkhart, if they lifted it with a somewhat flexed wrist.

Arturo, I think you are correct.

It was fun as always getting to see all the reactions to the Inch, I wrote up the practice here. I hope everyone who was there chimes in on their initial impressions re: the Inch, it is always fun to read about them. I really need to get a pickup if I'm going to keep lugging it around haha.

Thanks for bringing the Inch, Bob. That thing is very deceiving. It looks as though you could just pick it right up, but it rolls right out of your hand. It is amazing to think that something that compact is as heavy as it is.

I am looking forward to trying again, after more training of course. There is so much that I want to accomplish over the next few months. (First and Foremost, that #3!)

I will see you guys next week.

Thanks for bringing the Inch, Bob. That thing is very deceiving. It looks as though you could just pick it right up, but it rolls right out of your hand. It is amazing to think that something that compact is as heavy as it is.

I am looking forward to trying again, after more training of course. There is so much that I want to accomplish over the next few months. (First and Foremost, that #3!)

I will see you guys next week.

You are ever-so-close to getting the #3 every time you try it Jason. When you start working more on your open-hand strength (thickbar and pinch), your grippers will improve to a new level even if you don't train grippers much. I think you will be closing somewhere between the BB Elite and the 3.5 by next year at this time or even sooner-I know the AW slows down the gripper progress, but you have a lot of ability as evidenced by that (18 second?) coin hold video you showed me w/ your 2.5 as well as your #3 attempts.