What Is A Good Result On The New Rolling Thunder Handle?

bojjan89

Is that plates only? Whether it is or is not, 160 is not bad.

200 used to be a "good" standard, maybe a little shy of closing the 3 as far as accomplishments go.

With the New Handle Design, 200 is "very good". I would venture to say most Number 3 closers will not be able to pull 200 on it. I doubt there are 5 guys on the Gripboard who have done 200 (it's new).

At the Fit Expo, I was not in 200-old-handle-shape (around 190-195), and in the Grip Gauntlet, I could not legally get the 167 (160 plates) to lockout. It was embarassing, in that I saw 5 or 6 big muscular guys, but not grip guys, do it. Practice has helped, and I am up to 182 on it.

With Rolling Thunder, hand size DOES matter. For some reason, being taller seems to help too. Body strength (not just grip strength) is another plus.

It would depend on the hand size. For a big handed guy, 200 and up is good. For a small-handed guy, the figure would be lower, somewhere around 180, let's say.

-Rex

Yes, 160 pounds was plates only. and i think you are correct when you say that most #3 closers cant pull 200 pounds. I am 3mm of closing the #3 and 200 pounds feels far away.

Even if hand size does matter if feels like thumb strength is very important and that you can pull a lot of weisght with strong thumbs? Or?

Yes, 160 pounds was plates only. and i think you are correct when you say that most #3 closers cant pull 200 pounds. I am 3mm of closing the #3 and 200 pounds feels far away.

Even if hand size does matter if feels like thumb strength is very important and that you can pull a lot of weisght with strong thumbs? Or?

Thumb strength certainly will matter if your hands are small enough. It will in effect be like a pinch lift.

-Rex

it would actually be more benefical to work your wrist strength to lift with the new RT, your thumb doesn't do much as it is so slick

I agree with Paul. On the old handle, strong thumbs were helpful for everyone except those with the Gibbon Hands. The wrist is now more important than it was before, and the thumb is less important than it was before.

it would actually be more benefical to work your wrist strength to lift with the new RT, your thumb doesn't do much as it is so slick
I agree with Paul. On the old handle, strong thumbs were helpful for everyone except those with the Gibbon Hands. The wrist is now more important than it was before, and the thumb is less important than it was before.

I also agree with both.... I have the new RT also and thumb strength is definately less a factor than actual wrist strength.

Edited by Dreadnought

The new Thunder gave many a real "fit" at the Arnolds Classic GNC grip gauntlet.I think going from the old to new bothers those with a higher skill level than those just grabbing it. Rich Williams after destroying the "set" weight( both right and left handed) had enough left to do whatever extra weight Wade had left and did it right and left again. I have seen Rich do 242 with either hand during several workouts. Perhaps Wade remembers what the final GNC weight was for Rich (either 227 or 242 pops into my mind ...not sure. ).RS

The new Thunder gave many a real "fit" at the Arnolds Classic GNC grip gauntlet.I think going from the old to new bothers those with a higher skill level than those just grabbing it. Rich Williams after destroying the "set" weight( both right and left handed) had enough left to do whatever extra weight Wade had left and did it right and left again. I have seen Rich do 242 with either hand during several workouts. Perhaps Wade remembers what the final GNC weight was for Rich (either 227 or 242 pops into my mind ...not sure. ).RS

I think I remeber Wade saying it was in the 240's

so if mine is around 3-4 yrs old, it focuses on the thumb and the new one would be ideal for thumbless grip? Paul, what about the handle ya had at cemery's, thumb or wrist?

so if mine is around 3-4 yrs old, it focuses on the thumb and the new one would be ideal for thumbless grip? Paul, what about the handle ya had at cemery's, thumb or wrist?

that was the old handle so you are able to engage your thumb a little more. The old handle doesn't necessarily focus on your thumb more, i just has a better texture so it allows more thumb involvement, whereas the new handle is so slippery that your thumb isn't doing a whole lot. I wouldn't use the new handle completely thumbless because for you to offically lift it you need to use your thumb (I think). Just focus on goose necking your wrist more and try to keep your wrist locked in that position and I think your numbers will improve. Eric and I discovered this. Good to see you back - have'nt seen you in awhile

Paul, I have been around and do keep up with whats going on.I will try the gooseneck,which I figure is having the hand bent towards the legs. need to get a cert on the v bar.

hows your mma training going?