Consequences For Not Working Extensors?

Grippster

Supposedly, you can develop pain or joint problems from not working extensors as much as the flexors and wikipedia even says tendinitis may occur. I'd just like to know if anyone here has experienced problems from not doing extensor work and if so, what were the side effects/symptoms?

Supposedly, you can develop pain or joint problems from not working extensors as much as the flexors and wikipedia even says tendinitis may occur. I'd just like to know if anyone here has experienced problems from not doing extensor work and if so, what were the side effects/symptoms?

Yes I,But I belive that the injury that I developed was due to doing cold #3 closes and not training extensors.I damaged my ring finger tendon so bad I had to lay off grip for a year,And now I have come past the point I was at before the injury and I am still going strong,I try to train my extensors everytime I train grip.

i've experienced problems, and the symptoms/side effects was of course pain in the back of my hand and loss of strength.

What are good methods for working extensors besides rubber bands and glass jars filled with sand to put your fingertips into and extend out, which is an idea I got from a martial artist friend and the few times I've done it it's worked pretty good, except the second time I dropped the glass jar in my room when my hand gave out, it smashed and I had sand all over the place. It was quite the mess to clean up lemme tell ya. :laugh

use your other hand to create the tension or use a weight on the back of your hand.

You mean putting the fingertips of my right hand over the finger tips of my left hand and try to fully open and extend my left and vice-versa will do the trick?

You mean putting the fingertips of my right hand over the finger tips of my left hand and try to fully open and extend my left and vice-versa will do the trick?

yes

i've experienced problems, and the symptoms/side effects was of course pain in the back of my hand and loss of strength.

You mean like where your wrist is? I have occasional stiffness there, but for me the real problem is the extensor carpi ulnaris. It's a very weird muscle, it controls part of your wrist movements and it goes right up to the elbow and merges with the lower area of the triceps. I'm wondering if the top part of my forearm isn't strong enough to match the bottom. I get these sore spots along that area, sometimes it's in my wrist, sometimes halfway up the arm and sometimes in the triceps. It feels like a really bad bruise when you rub it, but it moves around a lot. I think I might start doing a serious triceps and forearm extensors program.

I never knew about or worked exstensors before grip trainig, but I knew about and started doing it as I started grip training. Luckly for me.

Loads of it, and it helped me not only with the training but with a light tennis elbow I used to have on my right arm.

So I don't know the consequences of not doing it but I know those of...doing it. Just do it. It's pretty easy.

Not only it helps avoiding troubles and imbalances but it's also a grip training in itself (that you can do it even when your hands are tired/overtrained, within some limits that too), because I noticed it strengthens the grip even without gripping the grippers or doing anything else.

The reason why I still hurt my right hand was because in the beginning I overdid on HG200 training cold and doing a bad stretch afterwards, hurting a tendon.

Then I learnt my lesson and had to do rehab for 3 months, almost ok now. Meantime I trained my left hand instead, with more care, and finally closed HG250 (narrow missing CoC #2), so my hands will be sort of par in future.

As for the jar full of sand falling everywhere...use stones or a bigger jar full of... feathers....

You mean like where your wrist is? I have occasional stiffness there, but for me the real problem is the extensor carpi ulnaris. It's a very weird muscle, it controls part of your wrist movements and it goes right up to the elbow and merges with the lower area of the triceps. I'm wondering if the top part of my forearm isn't strong enough to match the bottom. I get these sore spots along that area, sometimes it's in my wrist, sometimes halfway up the arm and sometimes in the triceps. It feels like a really bad bruise when you rub it, but it moves around a lot. I think I might start doing a serious triceps and forearm extensors program.

no, my pain was in the back of my hand, like where you see the tendons for your fingers. i am not familiar with the pain you talk about, but i did get some elbow soreness, i think it was from my constant pull ups routine, it went away immediately after doing some tricep work though. one thing though is my top forearm muscles seem to be very strong, my lower forearm is also but the muscle is not as prominent as my top forearm muscle.

Hand stand push ups, very strong extension through out the body. Extension is a strong reflex, and you do not need to dump tons of time working with it for big gains. I personally doubt the results from rubber bands and jars by comparison of other things.

Hand stand push ups, very strong extension through out the body. Extension is a strong reflex, and you do not need to dump tons of time working with it for big gains. I personally doubt the results from rubber bands and jars by comparison of other things.

now that i think about it, i agree with that. it took months for my hands to heal and i was using the rubberbands a lot. it took 1 workout of tricep work to get my elbow to feel better almost instantaneously.

Guest indi

i had neglected extensor work and eventually it caught up with me. mostly because i found it quite boring. but was left in pain, and unable to close a trainer for 3 months (could just about close a 2with left hand at that time). alot of time offf, contrast soaks, light band extensor work, exercises using my other hand as resistance, etc, and it eventually got better.

learned my lesson, always do enough extensor work, and i actually love it now! i sometimes hold bricks across the back of my fingers, but very rarely. most of my work is built up around the extensor bands.

moral of story: do extensor work!

I also share the same experience with the triceps workout. I just did one today and that really big sore spot is starting to go away. Plus, after doing work with the extensors I actually almost closed the seasoned BC400 which is incredible for me considering I was afraid to close the BC100 several months ago. I'm starting to wonder if the problem wasn't simply damaged tissue, but lack of extensor work. I think it's both but again, extensor work greatly decreases chance of injury not to mention it feels great after a grip workout.

Edited by Grippster

Many people with elbow problems are simply flexion over use injuries. While i would not label things like bands and jars completely useless, i do think they are the bottoms options in terms of efficency.

Functionally speaking, the hands are far more capable of demonstrating strength through flexion rather than extension. A well rounded fitness routine will address most of these concerns with some intelligent program design. Another thing i would want to look at is how much repetition work someone does day to day through life to see why there is a problem.

Food for thought- More people are hurt sitting at their computer all day in the office than hurt while training grip (squeezing a gripper maybe 10-30 reps several times a week, typing--thousands of reps per day). Grip athletes suffer the fewest hand/wrist/elbow injuries by comparison to other forms of training.

SAID-- Everyone likes to throw this out for training. I will add this. The body Specifically Adapts to imposed demands EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME. Everything you do has an effect on your body, from the way you tied your shoes to the paper cut on your pinkie to the big pull you do tonight. The CNS continously makes changes, hundreds of changes each minute based upon a wide variety of factors.

Z-Health--the more you get in to it, the deeper the rabbit hole goes.

Many people with elbow problems are simply flexion over use injuries. While i would not label things like bands and jars completely useless, i do think they are the bottoms options in terms of efficency.

Functionally speaking, the hands are far more capable of demonstrating strength through flexion rather than extension. A well rounded fitness routine will address most of these concerns with some intelligent program design. Another thing i would want to look at is how much repetition work someone does day to day through life to see why there is a problem.

Food for thought- More people are hurt sitting at their computer all day in the office than hurt while training grip (squeezing a gripper maybe 10-30 reps several times a week, typing--thousands of reps per day). Grip athletes suffer the fewest hand/wrist/elbow injuries by comparison to other forms of training.

SAID-- Everyone likes to throw this out for training. I will add this. The body Specifically Adapts to imposed demands EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME. Everything you do has an effect on your body, from the way you tied your shoes to the paper cut on your pinkie to the big pull you do tonight. The CNS continously makes changes, hundreds of changes each minute based upon a wide variety of factors.

Z-Health--the more you get in to it, the deeper the rabbit hole goes.

Hey thanks for sharing this Adam. Good stuff!!

I heard that sledgehammer levering is mainly an extensor movement, or at least that what is a hard weight for the extensors is nothing for the flexors so your extensors end up getting much more benefit from it. Is this true?

This is slightly unrelated as I've never had any problems (and I do work extensors, taken a month break recently though...) related to grip.

I had some tendonitis in what felt like my left brachialis tendon (somewhere in there) from doing chin-up negatives.

After trying to close at max effort on a gripper, it started hurting. Yesterday I did some triceps work, and although it felt like that same area hurt and was tight after doing so, it immediately seemed better and hasn't hurt since.

What are good methods for working extensors besides rubber bands and glass jars filled with sand to put your fingertips into and extend out, which is an idea I got from a martial artist friend and the few times I've done it it's worked pretty good, except the second time I dropped the glass jar in my room when my hand gave out, it smashed and I had sand all over the place. It was quite the mess to clean up lemme tell ya. :laugh

Instead of a glass jar, use an empty protein jug

what type of extensor exersize are you doing witha jar of pickels? how do you do it, hold it and move your wrist up and down?

rico

what type of extensor exersize are you doing witha jar of pickels? how do you do it, hold it and move your wrist up and down?

rico

1. First you open the jar and take out all the pickles.

2. Then stick a pickle between each finger, making sure each pickle is centered perpendicular to your fingers.

3. squeeze your fingers together, trying to crack each pickle in half simultaneously (now this takes some practice).

4. Now if one can can do this consistently I would start on putting two pinkels between each finger.

5. If you get into the 3 pickels realm that is comparable to closing the #4 COC.

Excuse the dumb humor.

This is what happens when I haven't been grip training for a while because of tendonitis. Stupid jokes..... :whacked

I heard that sledgehammer levering is mainly an extensor movement, or at least that what is a hard weight for the extensors is nothing for the flexors so your extensors end up getting much more benefit from it. Is this true?

I think you mean sledgehammer walking? Tommy Heslep is a huge advocate. Take a hammer with the head hanging down. Hold the handle with the tips of your fingers opposing each other. Interlock your thumbs for stability. Now "walk" along the handle with your fingers until you reach the hammerhead. Repeat. You can really use anything with a handle--broom, rake, shovel...

rico

1. First you open the jar and take out all the pickles.

2. Then stick a pickle between each finger, making sure each pickle is centered perpendicular to your fingers.

3. squeeze your fingers together, trying to crack each pickle in half simultaneously (now this takes some practice).

4. Now if one can can do this consistently I would start on putting two pinkels between each finger.

5. If you get into the 3 pickels realm that is comparable to closing the #4 COC.

well the only prob is i just keep getting weaker because my kids keep eating them from the fridge then i cant hold as many.....

rico