Magnus In The Grip Gallery

HAMMERHEAD

I was browsing through the Sorin Gallery (again), when I noticed (again) the picture of Magnus Samuelsson closing the #3 with only 3 fingers! :yikes

You can clearly see in the picture that his pinky is not on the gripper. What a grip!

I wonder how many CoC's can duplicate this feat? This also reminds me that Brookfield suggests closing grippers with 2 or 3 fingers in MOHS.

-HH

I think that a bunch of COC can do it (at least the top guys). I can close my BBM with 3 fingers and it's not really VERY MUCH harder than with the pinkie on.

Closing a gripper with 2 fingers becomes way harder.

Something I used to do is to close a gripper with 2 fingers for max singles. When I couldn't close it, I would do max singles with 3 fingers.

Terminator has closed a #3 with 2 fingers if I'm not mistaken, a 3 finger close is common place to him.........

I can go three fingers all day long. Heath's right, I've gotten a few two finger closes (just missed one at AOBS, got one last week, and a few others previous). I know when I get one because I can feel the handles grind. It's probably the hardest picture to take because the other fingers are in the way. You almost need to hold it shut and pry the other fingers back. If I ever get a good pic of it you'll see it. Short of that, I'll settle for verification from an acceptable, knowledgeable, unbiased witness.

I have pics of 2 and 3 fingers closes on my #1. On the 3 fingers pic, you can barely see the bottom of the handle. On the 2 fingers pics, you don't see the bottom handle.

Guest Mikael Siversson

Magnus did not close that #3 with three fingers to show off. He simply always closes it with three fingers as he finds it difficult to find enough space using four fingers.

I am not certified, just pointing out that if you have a large hand then you may not have room on the handle for the pinky finger. I have closed my #3 many times and can close a 2 both with 2 fingers and inverted.

How about any crushes with the last two fingers instead of the first two? To me that would be more impressive as others have stated the pinkie for some people isn't even a factor for closing the grippers. I on the other hand need all the fingers I can get just to close the #1 :blush

Jon@han

I know for myself I use my pinkie so much witth grippers that I have developed callouses on my little fingers. I have average size hands. I like testing my strength with my #1 by using fewer fingers. I can almost close it with two fingers.

-HH

Old Guy if you have closed the #3 many times why are you not certified? thats the thing most people in the Grip world are aiming at.

Or you could just post the video evidence of you closing it if you don't want to be certified.After all you are always shouting for proof of this and that, and bragging what you can lift etc lets see some proof...

I do not brag about anything. There are many people who have been able to close a 3 consistently or otherwise but have not bothered, or do not intend to be certified. Grip is the least part of my training. I train full body several times a week. Everyday I do some kind of training. The grip stuff is just for fun. Grippers are boring compared to say thickbar lifting. I only do them out of habit having started doing them a couple of years ago after trying a friends #1 & 2. I did not know of them prior to this. I do not compete except with myself. If my son who also trains is my only witness, that is more than enough for me. I have made no outrageous claims using dubious techniques.