Beauty And The Beast...rolling Thunder?

Tom of Iowa2

Beauty and the Beast,Odd haugens Pro stringman Contest is scheduled for

Jan.18 and 19..

Will they be having the MILO Rolling Thunder and Pinch Block contest-as they have in the past?

I think it was $1000 to the winner of the Rolling Thunder contest and then a few Hundred to win the Pinch block.

Whats the word????Is the MILO contest going to happen in Hawaii again?

If the contest was held in UK, I think none of the pro strongmen would make money. With David Horne to pinch the block and Mobsterone to lift the RT, along with Chris James, WSM guys would have a good demonstration of grip strength.

It's not that WSM competitors are not strong at grip. They are very strong. But we have the best of the best here.

Just a hypothetical question?How much would it cost to fly to Hawaii from the UK?

IF someone could win the Rolling Thunder(@$1000 prize) AND win the pinch(@$500?) you could go to Hawaii?for what FREE! :whistel Just a thought.....IF you were that much ahead of the competitors...?Go for it!I'm not being sarcastic...its a realistic thought.(maybe even get some local sponsorship to help fly you over?and you can come back to the UK with a few dollars in your pocket..and a suntan) :cool

There will be some other athletes from Europe over comepeteing int the strongman contest?

********************************************Actually Josh-from Iowa-is contacting a travel agent in hopes that the MILO rolling Thunder contest might come off :laughnot as far but IF he goes it's still a risk?

Good luck to all..especially if you have some frequent flyer miles to burn ;)

Well we are just moving forward as IF it will be held in Hawaii Jan 18 and 19?Again i don't know if his wife will let him go or if he can get off from work- but in the past the MILO contest was held the day BEFORE the Actual Beauty and the Beast strongman contest?

At this moment i was sort of waiting for you or someone else 'hear back'from Strossen?Milo

So he is looking into flights around the 16th?.he feels as a Farmer/truckdriver/construction worker-with both his kids under 3 years of age(meaning he is used to 'lack of sleep' and surviving on cat naps)the jet lag won't 'get him'- although I've heard that Jet lag HAS a major effect on performance...of course everbody over there will have to cope with it..I geuss?

Of course if YOU are going then Josh may not be so interested!?LOL :cry He was counting on the guys that usually go 'around' 260# showing up. :erm Me and my big ideas......seriously though i think-IF- THERE IS A CONTEST-you should look into it..slight financial risk..but IF you win you could get home and pay off your credit card before you even get the bill???

It's usually been in June but i read an announcement that it (Beauty and the Beast)is comeing up in JAN!

Go to www.strongestman.com

Hopefully they made a mistake!and it will be in June..a lot cheaper to by plane tickets 3 or 4 months in advance.

Ah my grip thing is on Jan 18th so it may well have to be next year. It'll be interesting to see how I get on with a new handle come Jan 18th.

BB is in January this year - the meet format has changed some. In the past there has only been a RT contest and I'm sure Odd will do that again. The only Pinch Grip contest associated with strongman meets that I am aware of was the blockbuster pinch grip contest at the American National strongman meet last year.

As for the strongman walking away without any money - I wouldn't bet on it. Remember, with a new handle and in a real competition, you won't be close to your best in the RT. Jan Bartl is still the world record holder and Phil Pfister is a close second. This won't change until someone beats their numbers in an official competition.

Wade

I have Randall's approval for any record set on Jan 18th to be considerd as official. I am, however, aware that a new handle can make all the difference.

Wade,

How much does one lose on a 'new'Rolling Thunder handle?

Percentage Guesstimate?Ours is 3 years old or so but we've really only been useing it for the last 5 months?We blow it out with an 'airpig'and none of us use chalk.Its in pretty good shape...but I'm sure it doesn't roll quite as EZ as it used to...?OR is there another reason the new Rolling THunder is more difficult?

We should have a new big block pinch in a week or too but I really don't want to buy another new Rolling Thunder handle.

I hope some Pro Strongmen can make it to our Grip contest this summer.We are getting some decent prize money together.It'll be in Burlington..Ia.,we haven't set an exact date.Trying to work it in 'between'the Pro contests and the Am contests so it will be realistic for more strongmen(ams or pros) to do.Should be an EZ afternoon for you guys..over in a few hours.Might? lose a callous or two but EZ on the body.

Hopefully we'll have some of our lifts up in the Gallery soon.We'll also be at the Snowman.

No guesstimates on how much things change. As an example, I've done 245 numerous times and either 250 or 255, in plates, on the oldest of our handles. On our newer handle, I've done 235 in plates after only doing 225 on a brand new handle at the contest 4 days before. It's tough for me to walk in cold and do any grip work. Everything I do is after a weight training workout so my adrenaline is going and my hands and forearms are warmed up. My brother Brad on the other hand has done (I think) 265 on our newer handle and 275 (I know) on our older handle. It doesn't seem to affect him as much because he always uses chalk. I personally don't like chalk but will use it if conditions are bad. Good luck on the 18th Steve. Where and what are you doing?

Wade

Subject to attendence of my fellow British Grip nuts and any last minute publicity I aim to do the following.

Promote Ironmind and Pullum Sports. Pullums have moved to a new location as they do most of their trade via the mail. Ironmind and Pullums cos they are doing me a favour with the venue and acceptance of the lift if good as a WR.

I want to do four movements/lifts and or attempts and in between we will have some other grip goodies and hopefully some grip master classes.

Rolling Thunder - as close to 300 as I can get it and as much over 264.5 as possible. I feel this is likely. I have done 282 lbs thus far and have four more weeks to go)

Weaver Stick - I have the Iron Grip record at 16.75 lbs (approx) and want to raise this to at least 20 pounds. I have been using a 16 pound ez curl bar and 3.5 kilos (7.7 lbs) in training. So should be good.

No 4 CoC Gripper - I may have to knuckle down on this one and will do my best.

2.5 inch handled dumbbell - 300 pounds. And yes a full range lift (blah, blah).

I might, energy and back allowing, pull the MDB and have a go at taking the Baraban Roberts grip dynometer to 126-130 kilos.

I'm looking forward to it - names and numbers please :)