Nice Girlfriend

Guest mg6680

My birthday was Sun and my girlfriend was nice enough to buy my a pair of the Olympic Husky DB's from IM. The photos in the catalog dont do them justice. About 22" of very thick, polished stainless steel. They have a 2" grip diameter w/some pretty sharp knurling. They come w/some beefy 2 screw collars. They'll hold four wide plates per side w/the supplied collars, 5 w/spring collars.

It wasnt my DL day (why I got them) but I couldnt wait to try. I just did some one arm DL, singles to failure. I worked up to 215lb in my right nd failed in the left. I was able to hold the right for a few secs, but my pinky/ring gave and the bell started to roll out of the hand.

An excellent piece of equip that should be in everyones garage. Expensive though. The 2" is a good compromise for me - much thicker and my hands give out too soon. I'd like to try a 3" DB some day.

Just a note: you can buy the thick handles separately and slide them onto your own dumbbell rods. The 2" handles are $48.95, and the 2.5" handles are $58.95. Substantially cheaper than $125.95 and/or $135.95 with the accompanying rods.

I made my brother a high-quality, interchangeable thick handle, plate loaded dumbell with a 2.4" and 2.8" Handle.

The total? 85 dollars. Oh yea. 78 of those dollars were for the 155lbs of standard weights to go with it. The dumbel, of supurb personal craftmansship quality, cost 8 bucks. ;)

They are basically a 22" piece of 1/4" thick, 2.5" diam stainless steel pipe thats machined. They are expensive, but do come w/the expensive collars. They were a nice gift so I aint complaining. One could make them much cheaper.

My birthday was Sun and my girlfriend was nice enough to buy my a pair of the Olympic Husky DB's from IM. The photos in the catalog dont do them justice. About 22" of very thick, polished stainless steel. They have a 2" grip diameter w/some pretty sharp knurling. They come w/some beefy 2 screw collars. They'll hold four wide plates per side w/the supplied collars, 5 w/spring collars.

It wasnt my DL day (why I got them) but I couldnt wait to try. I just did some one arm DL, singles to failure. I worked up to 215lb in my right nd failed in the left. I was able to hold the right for a few secs, but my pinky/ring gave and the bell started to roll out of the hand.

An excellent piece of equip that should be in everyones garage. Expensive though. The 2" is a good compromise for me - much thicker and my hands give out too soon. I'd like to try a 3" DB some day.

I don't think they are stainless. I think you are mistaking "finished look" for what the steel really is. Put a magnetic on one of them and report back if you would. Let's not have more misinformation after all. :)

Stainless steel tube with 2 1/2 od x 1/4 wall runs in the

neighborhood of $6 an inch. $132 for 22inches. That is

straight tube. Add in the machining costs and the high dollar

collars, you could really dent your Visa card. ;)

As Wannagrip said; try a magnet because true stainless steel

is non-magnetic