Total Noob To Armwrestling

mglassner

Hey fellas,... i dont usually venture much into here until now. i have an arm wrestling competition (at my college for frats) about a month away. I was reading on a website about techniques and such. They all seem interesting.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have any helpful tip and/or exercises on how to prepare for this.... if it helps I am 5' 7'' around 180, been lifting for 5 years now. i can close a 2.5 gripper ( i know this is kinda random, but i figured saying i had a strong grip could be important)

what i am mainly asking here is should i start arm wrestling my friends the week before the compeition preparing th techniques and seeing which i am best at...

im totally lost, but totally willing to learn

thanks for your time

If you do pull the week before the competition be very careful. I have done tons of grip work and been fine afterwards but Ive never been so sore in my tendons than after pulling and it can take weeks to properly heal before you will be 100% again. Especially if it will be your first session pulling.

A month away gives you little time. Look into starting hand position, be sure to start with your thumb capped (index finger over your thumb) and fingers wrapped around your opponent's hand as far as possible. Keep your hand close to your face and keep it there, in a winning or losing position. Good luck!

Seroiusly.

Don't pull at all.

Practice set-ups and hand positions only.

If you're new to AW your tendons are not developed enough

to recover in time for the tournament.

If you pull at all, even at 50% you could actually be weaker

come contest day.

The best thing you can do is show up, do your best, and then after

the tournament learn technique, tips, etc. from some experienced

pullers.

I'm telling you from experience, I promise.

Hope this helps. :)

Good luck.

Mighty Joe

It sounds like you're strong but you're arms probably aren't that long, is that correct? Just hook every match if that's true. Don't pull the week before. I don't see any problems with pulling now though, just take a week or 2 off before the tournament, just don't pull too much. Regular dudes armwrestle all the time and don't even get sore so, I used to armwrestle just about every day in school and did this for a whole year before I even got sore at all (this was before I ever started training or doing competitions).