Veryifying Records

Cunny

With all the discussions going on how are records verified is photographic evidence enough or are independant witnesses required?

Edited by Cunny

I would suggest that most lifts are not official whether we post them here or not as the reference for the lifts comes from associations and will need to be done in competition.

The point was "here" on this board. There's other issues with the others.

Steve, what's the difference between coming on here and saying you were the first to lift the MDB versus doing it in competition?

To the best of my knowledge and I stand ready to be corrected the lifting of the MDB is not and has not been claimed as a world record nor is there a lift using the MDB in competition for which there is a world record.

The rule regarding pictures is not for official “verification.” I suggested this idea so that we don’t beleaguer the discussion of a claimed lift. In a way it protects the person who claims the lift as well. Some people (especially those who don’t post a lot) do not realize that they’ll be challenged if they post what appears to be a world record. Even if they don’t use the words “world record,” if the numbers are high then they will be challenged. And yes, I know that pictures can be faked and so on, but a picture still is better than an empty claim. Also, I'm not suggesting that every lift should have a picture. If you've taken pictures of big lifts in the past then these could be representative of your abilities (e.g., posting that you just lifted 275 and there's an older picture of yourself lifting 260 would suffice). As I said, we are not here to verify claims, we just want to make the community get along as well as possible.

This is why Tom was voted as IGC main man. Tom I like your answer and would suggest that high number/weight lifts are not claimed as WR but as either a PR or a record if done in comp rules.

Guest woody36

I pinch gripped a slim black disc, 12 inches in diameter!

on the center of the disc were the words Michael Jackson

"Thriller"...... is this a record?

The rule regarding pictures is not for official “verification.” I suggested this idea so that we don’t beleaguer the discussion of a claimed lift. In a way it protects the person who claims the lift as well. Some people (especially those who don’t post a lot) do not realize that they’ll be challenged if they post what appears to be a world record. Even if they don’t use the words “world record,” if the numbers are high then they will be challenged. And yes, I know that pictures can be faked and so on, but a picture still is better than an empty claim. Also, I'm not suggesting that every lift should have a picture. If you've taken pictures of big lifts in the past then these could be representative of your abilities (e.g., posting that you just lifted 275 and there's an older picture of yourself lifting 260 would suffice). As I said, we are not here to verify claims, we just want to make the community get along as well as possible.

Bingo.