Shao-lin Block Weights. Anyone Sell 'em?

Guest Jeff0

I don't know how he prepared for the press, but I seriously doubt he pinched 110lb. blocks. He also looks to be more than 120 pounds. Interest picture though.

Oh, by the way, I know Shaolin Monks are very strong, so it's not impossible for him to press 110lbs. I'm just wondering how he managed to pick up with each hand.

Around February of this year I had the occasion to see quite a few different Monks from many different countries. Some appeared frail, but some stood out as having unusual muscle development, especially in the forearms. These were everyday ordinary Monks, not Shaolin monks. I’ve heard that they do exercises with a bamboo stick, and have been promised a videotape. It would not be surprising too me if they work out with weights, and that the weights have a grip aspect too them.

By the way, those rock weights look very similar to the block weights used by Grun and others of his day. Gripster, he did not pinch them, they have handles. Basically the same idea. See: http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/IronHistory/abk

I'm thinking that with the right type of form mold and a bit of concrete and a bar, you could probably make one of these type blocks.

Guest CalvinP

I weight 140 lbs at 5'6" but I look smaller than the monk (with 6% body fat). He must weigh at least 150 or more. Those monks use those block not only for lift, but some can move them around the body too as if shadow boxing with block weights kung fu style.

I was looking at the monk’s page again today and realized that there are many more pictures available. At the bottom left corner of the side menu there is a link to “gO On”. There are around 70 pictures total. Here are two of my favorites as they relate to hand and finger strength:

Water pour (Pot heavier than 50kg) :

fs66.jpg

Bowl break with finger. Note the wrist guards, the Mighty Atom had a similar pair (That's got to hurt):

fs52.jpg