Tracking #3 Closes

3Crusher

I keep a pretty detailed training log, and have tracked just about all my gripper activities, barring some extra curricular activity such as at the AOBS dinner. It is very interesting to see the peaks and valleys, to see what works well, and what doesn't work so well. It is also nice to see that from year to year, the number of successful closes has increased. I first closed my #3 righty on 8/4/00, and lefty on 10/20/00. To date, I have tracked 955 closes righty and 462 lefty. Throw in the extra activities that were untracked, and I am at around 1500 closes total between both hands to date. I would love to know if anybody else kept training logs, as it would be interesting to compare notes. I know Pat Povilaitis is into the 4 figure area in total #3 closes, and I think Heath Sexton is as well. Anybody else have any estimates, or detailed totals?

I keep a pretty detailed training log, and have tracked just about all my gripper activities, barring some extra curricular activity such as at the AOBS dinner. It is very interesting to see the peaks and valleys, to see what works well, and what doesn't work so well. It is also nice to see that from year to year, the number of successful closes has increased. I first closed my #3 righty on 8/4/00, and lefty on 10/20/00. To date, I have tracked 955 closes righty and 462 lefty. Throw in the extra activities that were untracked, and I am at around 1500 closes total between both hands to date. I would love to know if anybody else kept training logs, as it would be interesting to compare notes. I know Pat Povilaitis is into the 4 figure area in total #3 closes, and I think Heath Sexton is as well. Anybody else have any estimates, or detailed totals?

No but for me, with my back aching, a means of seeing where I go wrong and where things go right is a good idea. I hurt my back a fe weeks ago and held off for 2 sessions. Obviously I didn't heed the warning this time.

I'd be interested in hearing what we all have in common regarding good training traits and bad and hopefully to be able to learn from this.

Steve in my training for the inch I am not lifting it at the side of my body. I am straddling it with back as flat as possible, etc. I know that if I tried to the side, I would never be able to handle the volume of attempts let alone possibly blow my back out. I am doing about 5 attempts per day. Or, more like 5 negatives. Lift with other hand assist, and try and hold.

Steve,

Your detailed training log reminds of of the bodybuilder Bill Pearl. He recorded every detail of every workout that he ever did in his entire lifetime! I'm more like Brookfield, training grip when I feel like it (usually three times a week), and changing my routine when I see fit. I increased my training level when I went to certify, then backed off after.... I change often, and I'm changing it again starting tomorrow! :cool

Edited by Sybersnott

wanna and syber. I'm somewhere in between. I like wanna would not try the suitcase method. I have enough problems with imbalances and back injuries as it is without tempting fate.

Like Syber I have experimented with different training but for the most part what grip training I do is driven by a target and or self set challenge or by a competition. This year 2002-2003 I have Jan 18th, the OH dinner and the August Iron Grip comp.

I think I was referring to, in my last post, seeing what mistakes have been made and learning from them. I can do that from you guys as much as I can from myself and hopefully others here can benefit as well. Post away!

3Crusher,

I'm gonna throw an estimate out there for the year since I've been certified (not including before that). I think a good conservative guess would be in the neighborhood of 4000-5000 #3 closes. I train grippers every day, and close #3's lefty and righty. My worst days I log about ten combined lefty and righty and usually average 20 #3 closes (or Elite) per session. It's no stretch to say I've averaged 100 #3 closes a week for the last year, and that takes into account the odd day off or sick day.

Last night I managed 55 total reps with a #3. This consisted of: RT hand, 2 singles, 10 triples (full range), one single after triples

LT hand, 2 singles, 6 triples (full range), 2 singles after triples.

This doesn't count speed work, cut down gripper overcrushes, negatives etc. So much for overtraining. If there are any doubters, you know I'm telling the truth.

I've got another question. How many different #3 grippers has everyone closed? I think I lost count somewhere around 20. Maybe going forward IM should require that people close multiple different grippers for certification.... :rolleyes

Terminator,

I am with you when it comes to closing different #3's, since they are all different. I have closed about a dozen different #3's, if I had to hazard a guess, and I love taking a shot at whatever #3's I come across. I have had the opportunity to try a few old style #3 grippers that Richard Sorin and Bob Bollenbach have in their collections, "The Kaz" #3 gripper that Bob Bollenbach has in his possession, Tom Black's #3, a few of yours, a couple of Heath's, my own 3 #3's, and a couple that guys in my gym own. It is fun stuff, and it always keeps you on your toes when people ask you to do it for them.

PS To you doubters, this guy is the real deal. Trust me, as Richard Sorin, Randy Strossen, Heath Sexton, Bob Bollenbach, Ron Mazza, guys at Iron Island Gym, and others at the AOBS dinner have seen him in action.

Training logs -a must for every person who wants to get stronger. I've been lifting weights for quite a while now and have never kept a good training journal. Several months ago a friend suggested I'll never make gains in the gym unless I tracked the right route to get there. I started one and its made a big difference.

Great idea looking at the total times is great inspiration even for one like me who has only closed the #1. I've been very disciplined in keeping a training log for all my other training...going to make a point of including gripper training in it as well.

Jon@han

The #4 is not on my immediate radar screen, but thanks for asking. I've got some unfinished business with the Red Nail, right now I'm just doing grippers for fun. Extreme volume bending takes a lot off the top end of the grippers (right 3crusher?). As soon as I take care of that sucker I will probably focus on the #4. :blink

Terminator,

How did you work up to that type of volume? I'm not so much concerned with the number of #3 closes but the fact that you close every day. Did you start out in what I will call the traditional method of 2 to 3x per week and gradually add days or did you start out gripping every day and add to the # of closes per day?

I am presently doing 20 timed holds (7 to 10 seconds) throughout the course of my training day which is two times per week. I want to increase the weekly volume and am on the fence between doing less closes per day (ie. 10 per day) and adding to the days I close or increasing the reps on the two traing days.

Any suggestions?

-Kevin