New Tool To Help With Card Tearing

ruffhans

I decided to get beack into card tearng agian. i started about 8 months ago but never got past 20 cards! :dry

i purchased a couple decks at the dallor store to see if i had gotten any stronger from pinching. while i was a little stronger, i didnt do very well on this feat.

so i decided to train for stength in the card tearing area. whie visiting Tom Blacks site, i saw a little tool he made for this.

i cut a piece of wood, ( same width, length size of a deck of cards), and drilled a hole through it.

i atached some weight to it today, 20 lbs was all i could lift with this tiny piece of wood!! ;)

it s rather hard. every 10 puonds i add, ill try a deck agian to see if i can do it.

i wonder if this will help the most,or just tearing cards and adding a few each week. ;)

Rebember that the Luxembourger Georges Christen has officially ripped 120! plastic coated playing cards.

Ruffans did you try Tom Black's way of tearing? Get cereal boxes and cut up the size of playing cards. Each workout add some pieces. It's alot cheaper too.

The best practice for ripping is ripping. There is a lot of technique involved. After not doing it for awhile I don't think I could rip a deck now. I'd have to get a box of cards and work my way up for a few weeks again. On the wood "card" I could only do around 40-pounds on it the first time I tried. I was very surprised when I didn't train on the card (but did a lot of wider pinching) and tried it months later and found I could easily do quite a bit more (like 80-pounds). With a few weeks practice I made it up to 120, while practicing with cards, and my card tearing was much better.

Some time ago on the site I read a post where someone was using newspaper to try and replicate card tearing. Just get a sheet and fold it in half until its about the same size as a deck of cards. I've found this to be the cheapest way to tear, and it makes progression easy too.

Jeff

I tried this yesterday and managed 49 cards the outer cards kept slipping and tearing fully alone after removing them each time the total torn was 49 ( I was made up because the last time I did it I only managed 28) :D.

Edited by Cunny

Guest sjeff70

Thanks, Woody.

Tom,

I don't understand how the block card is held. If you don't put your fingers underneath the edge, how is it pinched?

I suppose the purpose of this lift is to strengthen the technique YOU use to tear cards. I have never pursued card tearing, but I would never have thought pinching would help. Card tearing feels like it would be more of a finger exercise to me. It would seem to me that Rim Lifts would help most. :unsure

Nevertheless, I'm most impressed with your tears and bends. I could really scare my friends with some of those feats.

Jeff

Jeff:

from what lill card tearing i have done, your thumb presses against the side of your index finger. same postitoin as holding a key when turning it.

Tom:

is this rite?

ruffhans,

The technique for tearing the corner off the deck is the same as in half. I just started a little off center. Once I was part way through the deck I simply re-gripped and applied force perpendicular to the force applied to start. Yes, my thumb presses against my index finger.

Jeff,

It’s not pinched the way you would do a plate pinch. I kind of curled my index finger so that it would not hook into the bottom of the wood and make the lift easier. It’s probably not exactly like I would hold the cards, but it is close enough I think to work the muscles involved. Even if it doesn’t, I think it’s a good exercise. BTW, someone who is in the York Barbell hall of Fame once told me that he pinched plates with the index finger curled up like I just described.

Guest sjeff70

Thank you Tom and ruffhans,

I see. Looks like I have something new to add to my grip goals. I'm thinking it is not as simple as being to able to do 125 lbs on that apparatus. Tearing cards in that matter cannot be an easy task.

This would probably be a good routine for someone trying to accomplish tearing a deck of cards:

DAY A

Block Card

Progression: add weight each training session

DAY B

Card Tearing

Progression: add cards each training session

A place to start. This would replace conventional One or Two-Hand Pinch lifting in my grip training.

Jeff