Help For A Newbie Of Grip Training?

Guest sb413197

Guest sb413197

Hello people! I'm a "newbie" when it comes to grip training. I have a book or two on grip training but really don't know how to put together a good grip routine. The rest of my training is fine--but the only thing I've ever done for grip is wrist curls and deadlifting. My grip isn't really a problem for what I need it for (max deadlifts) but I would be interested in making it a strong point; for a non-grip trainee I think my grip is fairly strong, I did something called "plate curls" the awhile ago and was able to use a 25 pound plate for a few reps. Also I can use well over 200 pounds for wrist curls, as this is the only grip exercise I've ever done. Could somebody point me to a good, balanced grip&forearm training routine or give me a routine I could use? I have no objections to training grip every day, anything could work. Also I'm willing to buy cheap stuff like the pinch grip block from ironmind if that helps. Thanks!

Steve

Edited by sb413197

That'a an impressive wrist curl! Well, I, too, am a newbie but can offer you what little I do know. To develop crushing strength start with the grippers atleast twice a week, using low reps, medium volume, and very high intensity. Pinching two plates together with the smooth sides out will work your thumbs, which don't get much work with the grippers. Deadlift the plates and hold. Lockouts using an overhand grip are good for supporting strength. Along with your wrist curls, this would make for a good basic program. Keep us posted on your progress.

I second the idea of getting the grippers. they will realy give you good crushing strength. for you the #2 and #3 should do. if your strong with the wrist curl thats good! a good thick handled wrist roler would be a very wise choice also. if your going to the gym, plate pinching will do well. sit down and decide what your grip goals are and go from there! if you just want a stronger grip, and forearms, thick handled dumbells are the way to go. if you use a 2 1/2 3 inch handle, you will get a little thumb work too.

the best thing anyone could ever buy is Broofields book. you will become a grip knowledge person in one sitting!

Make sure you browse through the back posts...there's oodles of info on this board if your willing to spend the time to sift through it all.

I suggest making some block weights from a solid dumbell set. a 50lb dumbell will give you 2 blocks at 25lbs each once you saw the handle off and this is a good weight to start with. I have 20lb'ers and 30'ers.

Jon@han

I suggest you find a "grip mentor" to help you with your training.

I am available for a nominal fee, of course! :rolleyes

I suggest you find a "grip mentor" to help you with your training.

Anyone but Sybersnott! ;):tongue He puts foam pads on his gripper handles to protect his hands! :stuart :tongue:laugh:laugh

"He also has hands like a woman" :kiss

How would you know?!? :huh

Fess up. You've been to my website, www.sybersnottshands.com, haven't you... you sneak!! :angry:

My advice is to set up a routine you like, run it out and change it up. I don't progress long on the same routine, I get stale. Changing things up gives new interest which will bring about new and better gains. Pick a few goals, meet them, then find some more. You can't train every grip feat at once, trust me I've tried. You can always go back to an old program......