Narrow Pinching

meelhama

In light of the Blob's popularity, I know most everyone likes wide pinching. However, what do you think about narrow pinch lifts? For example, has any experienced benefits of lifting with a 1'' or 1/2'' block?

I think narrow pinching is harder. The weight I set up requires a narrow pinch and it's just so hard to get a good grip on a thin flat surface. With a blob or something fat like that it always felt like I could get a better hold on it.

I think narrow pinching is harder. The weight I set up requires a narrow pinch and it's just so hard to get a good grip on a thin flat surface. With a blob or something fat like that it always felt like I could get a better hold on it.

Tell me about it! I just tried pinching with a 1/2'' plasitc block and I could only lift 17.5 lbs. + loading pin.

When it gets heavy, my joints start feeling strange because of the pressure when fully extended.

Herefor I prefere thick pinch blocks.

Edited by luuc

Strangely, I have an easier time narrow pinching. It could be because ligament damage in my thumb, but I would love to see how I would compare to some of the strong-gripped freaks out there. :shifty

Some numbers from Gripmas Carol medleys and events from the past

1/4" Plate Pinch - one hand - 55#

1/4" Key Pinch - one hand - 55#

3/8" Plate Pinch - two hands - 130#

1" Euro Pinch - two hands 170#

Be careful working thin pinch - your fingers are in a somewhat bad position and the tendons etc can get pretty sore.

• Thanks 1

narrow pinch - great helped me for cards tearing

This is why I've started narrow pinching.

However, I'm concerned that there is little training effect since I can only lift 20 to 25 lbs.

Pawel, how did you train with narrow pinch to help you tear cards? Did you focus on timed holds, max lifts, high volume, frequency. . . ?

Pawel, how did you train with narrow pinch to help you tear cards? Did you focus on timed holds, max lifts, high volume, frequency. . . ?

Good question. Did you hold the weight in the card tearing position? Without the thumb?

Good question. Did you hold the weight in the card tearing position? Without the thumb?

Bump.

And did you lift the block straight up or did you try holding it at an angle or pressing it to simulate the torque of card tearing?

also curious for some answers from pawel :D

ive got a thin pinch block, and an even thinner one (like..1cm thickness) but ive never really used them. :blush

Narrow pinch works the fingers really good, sort of like a plate curl. It was an event at one of the Michigan grip contests, 3/4 inch I think. Jedd did 190ish.

Narrow pinching made my blobs the strongest they've ever been. My fingers just felt like they were glued on.

Narrow pinching made my blobs the strongest they've ever been. My fingers just felt like they were glued on.

Now that sounds weird! :)

Josh how much weight have you added to the blob?

Narrow pinch works the fingers really good, sort of like a plate curl. It was an event at one of the Michigan grip contests, 3/4 inch I think. Jedd did 190ish.

I got a big pump just from doing some easy lifts, but you really have to be careful with pinch especially narrow for me because of the angle your fingers are on.

Work all kinds of pinch and you will be better for it.

Train wide-ER pinch for wide pinch, and narrow-ER for narrow pinch and ou won't go far wrong.

If you take the time to study the results from Isometric training from the past - you will find that isometric work strengthens you in a fairly narrow range on both sides of the position worked. Therefore - as pinch work for grip is almost always isometric in nature - all widths should be trained.

• Like 2

I like narrow pinch and its cheap to train with my 3/4" x 5" wood panel with an eye bolt screwed unevenly into it.

The consensus seems to be:

1) Can’t go wrong working all widths.

2) Watch out for narrow pinch injuries to your fingers.

The second point is really valuable. I think most gripsters are aware of injuries associated with wide objects. John Brookfield even warns about this in his book. However, not as many are aware that narrow pinch can strain your fingers.

Bump.

And did you lift the block straight up or did you try holding it at an angle or pressing it to simulate the torque of card tearing?

I kept so:

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/120800881...7_623_14266.jpg

with 20 kg on timed holds

If you take the time to study the results from Isometric training from the past - you will find that isometric work strengthens you in a fairly narrow range on both sides of the position worked. Therefore - as pinch work for grip is almost always isometric in nature - all widths should be trained.

Chris what are some good/reputable sources to learn more about isometrics? I'm specifically interested in it for grippers and strengthening my lock for AW.

Chris what are some good/reputable sources to learn more about isometrics? I'm specifically interested in it for grippers and strengthening my lock for AW.

Josh - start with SuperTraining - page 222. There is also some stuff done out of the York boys way back when as well. I'll find some stuff for you if you give me a little time. The thing that made me start studying it is the fact that most grip stuff is isometric (without movement at least) in nature. I'm thinking eccentric overloads at the moment as I start my training for Chads contest - gonna take some thought on how to implement it - we'll see.

And yes I do read too much :blush

Edited by climber511

Josh - start with SuperTraining - page 222. There is also some stuff done out of the York boys way back when as well. I'll find some stuff for you if you give me a little time. The thing that made me start studying it is the fact that most grip stuff is isometric (without movement at least) in nature. I'm thinking eccentric overloads at the moment as I start my training for Chads contest - gonna take some thought on how to implement it - we'll see.

And yes I do read too much :blush

Does it matter which edition? The one on Elite is about 110 bucks cheaper than the one on Amazon and I don't see the second author listed on the one on the Elite site. Is that the right edition?