Not Tennis Elbow, A Little Lower...

APL

Hi there gripboard,

Yes i am knew to gripping i have been doing it since Dec 08 and have already learned and improved so much I LOVE IT, well. I am hurt..boooo. Now all i want to find out is if I am injured or hurt really, and should i back off or change program????

This is the overview of my schedule 3 days a week strength workouts, 3 days conditioning, 5/6 days a week martial arts, and on my conditioning days i do my grip work out 3/4 days). My specs, 6'1" aprox 200 (havent weighed recently) can close COC 2, 3 times, rep out 1, do NEGs with the 3.5. I use a modified workout that i got from the book Mastery of hand strength, love that book. Well i cut back the condition but kept the strength this last week. So i have 3 days TOTAL of hard lifting/conditions (from top shape if you are wondering), 3 other days hard grip workouts, everyday of the martial arts for 1-2 hours.

ISSUE: Below my elbows mainly on dominant arm, i have a excruciating pain in the muscle/tendon or bone not sure. I can hardily close a COC 'T', when it comes on. I did that today to test on how bad it affects my grip. I usually will do a light grip workout after i roll around for a while to get that conditioning in my hands. Well now i am back to ground zero or even less. Between full body strength training and grip workouts and martial arts, I am DONE! Today my arm was shaking on its own, never seen this before...

WHAT SHOULD I DO. Please send me messages, post in here whatever but i need some advice from some serious old school grippers and grapplers, haha G&G thats me. I think it might be tennis elbow or tendentious, ripped muscle. GIVE ME THE HGH, lol, just kidding but seriously, I took 3 Tylenol and now i shall sleep. Oh I am overseas in the desert sea, so i have limited mail, no rehab items, just my grippers, tiger balm and sleep.

THANK YOU

I have been struggling w/the same thing lately - I think its from over training. Its slowly been going away, but still lingering. I've been trying everything and the things that seem to be helping the most are: high volume low intensity excersises (rehab work - active rest) I have also been taking ALN's Results (creatine) and its been pooling alot of water and blood into my forearms and thats seems to be working quickly to help with my pain - I've also been doing contrast baths, but I really think its the creatine that's been helping the most believe it or not. I'll do about 50-60 fast reps on the trainer until I get a pump in my forearm and then put it down and also extensor work, but the biggest thing is time .......... I don't think its a perm injury, just strain and prolly a little tendonitis which I feel in my elbow and forearm, so back off on those negs w/the 3.5 and do light weight and high reps for a little while and try creatine and take it exactly how it is recommended and eat alot with plenty of rest - that is the best advice I can give. Good Luck - those pains are frustrating as hell, but they are part of extreme grip training that you will have to learn to work around.

I have had injuries preventing grip training since November of last year. What ever you do, do NOT do anything that will make it worse. If you deepen the injury, it takes twice as long to heal. It's likely swollen, so I recommend icing it for 15 minutes 1-2 times a day. Back off with the grip workouts, but what you should do to keep blood going to it is to just work them lightly with something soft. If you don't have any therapy balls, squeeze something soft like a pillow or something until you feel them get warm. Also running/biking is good for circulation. Good luck man, I hope this doesn't stay with you for too long.

Well, I am not much for the rest, but I guess I have to slow down to see where it gets me. I talked with my instructor and he said that I have been 'muscling" a lot more lately. So I am going to slow down there also. I hope to find an exercise that will help build that specific muscle group. Any ideas?

Trust me, I didn't much want to rest at all when I first got it. I paid the price for it and learned the hard way.

Just to put things into perspective, I was at the point where I could almost do reps on the Bone Crusher 400. The 300 feels hard now, in fact I probably can't close it anymore. And when I first started rehab, I could not close the 250.

Edited by Grippster