Throbbing Elbows

barbe705

so, lately I've been doing some training and I've found some guys to get together with. my question is, is there anything I can do to prevent the throbbing elbows for 4 days after? any exercises, pre or post workout treatments, anything. or, do I just have to suck it up and wait until the joint gets stronger over the course of the next year?

brent

I am a former Minor League pitcher, now part time armwrestler. That said, I am no stranger to arm pain. The pain associated with armwrestling is very similar to the pain felt after throwing 100+ pitches. By far the best way to stop the pain the next morning is to ice your arm (elbow in particular) for at least a half an hour after you use your arm in any stressful way. I normally will buy a 7lb bag of ice from a convienence store and pour about 1/3 of it out to provide some working room. Then I will place the ice directly on the inside of my elbow untill it goes completely numb and then some. The ice will stop and eventually reduce the swelling in the elbow, providing great relief. Be SURE TO WARM YOUR ARM UP properly if you use it again after icing. The shrunken tendons and muscles will be prone to injury if you decide to pull someone directly after icing. But I wouldn't dream of pulling someone til at least the next day.

the sad thing is that this is really something I should have already done. I was doing contrast baths after I did grip but, I got away from it. But, this sounds like it would really hit the spot. thanks

I am a former Minor League pitcher, now part time armwrestler. That said, I am no stranger to arm pain. The pain associated with armwrestling is very similar to the pain felt after throwing 100+ pitches. By far the best way to stop the pain the next morning is to ice your arm (elbow in particular) for at least a half an hour after you use your arm in any stressful way. I normally will buy a 7lb bag of ice from a convienence store and pour about 1/3 of it out to provide some working room. Then I will place the ice directly on the inside of my elbow untill it goes completely numb and then some. The ice will stop and eventually reduce the swelling in the elbow, providing great relief. Be SURE TO WARM YOUR ARM UP properly if you use it again after icing. The shrunken tendons and muscles will be prone to injury if you decide to pull someone directly after icing. But I wouldn't dream of pulling someone til at least the next day.

i never use ice, i kinda go against it but thats just me. at the most i might have some strong anti-inflam drugs. when i first started pulling i got pain in my elbows all the time. after time, after just letting them heal without any treatment, they get stronger, and now i dont get the pain as much, sometimes not at all. so for me, dont just use ice cause everyone else says to use ice.

'do I just have to suck it up and wait until the joint gets stronger over the course of the next year?' that seems liek the best thing to do IMO .most people dont realise that tendons and ligaments in your elbows or anywhere will take over 5 times longer to heal than muscle, because they have very little blood supply. sometimes you can injure them where you will need surgery to fix them. but the pain will go after months/years of pulling.you might have to have a 2 - 3 weeks off from a training session, just be careful. if its painful while pulling, its cause its not right!

but you want to lightly keep workin the elbow with maybe cable or bands (very light) just to get the blood flowing abit and let the elbow it still has a job to do. =)