Heavygrips, And Bonecrushers, The Subtle Differences

jsmiley

My father has had a set of heavygrips for about a year now, and my brother just got some Bonecrushers in the mail a couple of days ago.

At first I thought that the two brands were exactly the same, however, after a little inspection I noticed that there are some differences.

The knurling on the Heavygrips gets sharper as you move from the 100 to the 350, the knurling on the Bonecrushers does not change, it is pretty sharp on every gripper.

The springs on the heavygrips are mounted very high probably upwards of a half an inch or more especially the 100, 150, where the bonecrusher grippers the spring is set very low on every gripper maybe 1/4" or under on every gripper and the spring mount is more consistent, about the same on each gripper.

The bonecrushers are a much harder, but they are also not seasoned, I would imagine even with seasoning with the spring mount position I still think the bonecrushers would be a little harder when compared to the higher mounted heavygrips.

Never seen the MD gladiators, no idea how the knurling or spring mount is on those.

So in fact, me closing the 300lb bone crusher is actually more impressive than an HG300 close? YES!

btw I wonder if that means the BoneCrusher 500 is actually harder than an HG500. When I compare them the only real difference seems to be that the HG has a higher spring mounting like you said. The bone crusher is fairly low.

Edited by Grippster

So in fact, me closing the 300lb bone crusher is actually more impressive than an HG300 close? YES!

btw I wonder if that means the BoneCrusher 500 is actually harder than an HG500. When I compare them the only real difference seems to be that the HG has a higher spring mounting like you said. The bone crusher is fairly low.

Comparing two hg300's is apples to oranges, let alone saying a BC300 is harder than HG300's.

My HG300 is harder than my 152lb #3.

That's a good point, but what are the odds that all the bone crushers just so happened to be monsters and the Hg's were just regular? A good point was made about the spring mounting.

I'm wondering if it's not so much a difference between BC and HG, as much as it is the age difference between them.

Edited by Magnus

no no. what I said was the lower mounted bonecrushers seemed as if they would be harder even after seasoning than the same strength hg with a higher mount, I would imagine that is only due to the physics of the mounting of the spring allowing for more leverage.

all mounts set to the same spot I the only difference between the different grippers would be the knurling.

My HGs were a lot better quality than my BCs. They seasoned less, the handles were mounted the same depth on each side, pretty much everything was better with the HGs. I thought about trying to sell my BCs, but I would have felt bad selling something so crappy to anyone.

Wow LilMo sorry to hear about the crappy bonecrushers you received, I have only seen one set of HG's and one set of BC's, it looks like with this construction of hand gripper that there is a large amount of variation in seasoning, mounting, and overall quality.

Personally I like the knurling on the Bonecrushers over the HG's and since that is the only difference I have noticed.

I can't really give my two cents for a quality comparison yet, as the Bonecrushers are new, I'll be able to have more info about seasoning over the next few months.

What I was trying to figure out is if there is any other differences than knurling with the Bonecrushers, the Heavygrips, and the MD gladiators.

What you've said sounds like it could be simple batch variation to me. My own HG300 has only about 1/4" mount and almost nonexistant knurling.

What you've said sounds like it could be simple batch variation to me. My own HG300 has only about 1/4" mount and almost nonexistant knurling.

Exactly. They vary so much, it probably makes little difference what they're labeled under. The mounts, knurling, etc, varied wildly in the same set of my HGs.

Edited by Magnus

the label on an HG means nothing. I had one HG300 start at around a 2.5 and season down below my IM #2. It even got close to to my IM#1. I also had one almost as hard as my 3 but season down to about my IM 2.5

That's crazy I had no idea they varied so much, my fathers HG300 has nice sharp knurling like all of my brothers bone crushers, but his 100-200 has much less abrasive knurling.

a HG300 down to a COC#1 :blink

nah I cleaned them out with an old toothbrush and hot soapy water a couple of days ago, the knurling on the 100 actually looks different, like the pattern is there, but there are no raised points just slightly raised diamond shapes that are smooth on top, the 150 and 200 are more like the 250 and 300 in that the knurling is the common diamond shape to a raised point, the 150 and 200 are just a little less sharp than his 250-350

BCs and HGs are crappy grippers. They vary so much between them, its ridiculous. My HG300 doesn't even line up with itself. When closed, the handles have 1/4 inch of overhang over each other.

BCs and HGs are crappy grippers. They vary so much between them, its ridiculous. My HG300 doesn't even line up with itself. When closed, the handles have 1/4 inch of overhang over each other.

Check out my HG100 before I remounted it:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7815

Magnus that's disgusting. You did a pretty good job with that remount I must say. Anyways, I see where you're coming from with this ridiculous variation but one thing I have noticed to be consistent is definitely the height of the spring mounting. It's lower on the Bone Crushers. I compared all my grippers to HG grips and ALL of them are lower than the HGs. I didn't buy my grips at the same time either. I bought 7 different grippers at 3 different times.

Magnus that's disgusting. You did a pretty good job with that remount I must say. Anyways, I see where you're coming from with this ridiculous variation but one thing I have noticed to be consistent is definitely the height of the spring mounting. It's lower on the Bone Crushers. I compared all my grippers to HG grips and ALL of them are lower than the HGs. I didn't buy my grips at the same time either. I bought 7 different grippers at 3 different times.

Thanks man. It was so pathetic before, my sister could close it...and that's saying something :rolleyes

For grippers to vary, that's fair enough but for springs to be mounted like that HG100 just take the piss. That just shows no quality control is used before they send them out.

here's something too.. the hg300 i have is way harder than the hg350 of pauls i borrowed.

This is a wicked variation. I've heard of the 400 going down to 300 level, but for a 300 to be "much harder" than something that is supposedly called the grip monster shows me there's a blatant disregard for quality control. All of my Bone Crusher grippers seasoned, the 400 the most, but I guess I'm pretty lucky that they were consistent enough to season evenly. By that I mean that the gripper that's supposed to be harder than another one - still is. From here on in, it's Tetting/COC ftw.

Seasoning can play a huge role with the HG's, they come down alot with use.

You get what you pay for. For what they are, the heavy grips aren't bad. The differences between them and bonecrushers might just be the differences between batches.