411lb Dinnie Lift, Inch Lift And Anvil

Fatboy250

I was over a Richard Sorin's place the other day with a fellow lifter named Don Thompson. Richard, Bert, Louie Simmons, and I watched in amazement as he successfully dead lifted the Inch replica 4x, 2 right and 2 left with relative ease. Then lifted the Dinnie stone replica at 411lbs, then the 170lb anvil by the horn. Don is not a grip guy, just a really stong guy who has also totaled 2400 in the 3 PL. Recently, he came in second to Gary Frank at the WPO in New Orleans.

Just thought I'd share some feats of strength by an uncommonly strong fellow.

Jason

Fatboy250,

Impressive lifting with the Inch and the Dinnie.

But what's the big deal with the 170 pound anvil being deadlifted

by the horn? I mean, didn't Jowett clean and press a 168 lb anvil? :rolleyes:laugh:laugh

Seriously, was tacky used with the anvil?

I guess it's not a big deal, if you say it's not. I couldn't lift it. If I remember correctly it was 170lbs. You could double check with Richard. All of the implements were his in his office. To actually clean it and put it overhead is more amazing to me than the Inch lifted by Mark Henry. Way more!!!

No tacky, just chalk. AND no warmup.

Edited by Fatboy250

Whoa! I was kidding! It is an incredible one hand deadlift when 170 is

lifted in anvil form.

What I mis-communicated was, how can anyone believe that Jowett

could clean a 168 lb anvil by the horn and put it overhead when this

giant you witnessed could 'only' deadlift it. Jowett could not have, of

course.

Sorry. I meant no disrepect to Don Thompson, and admire what he

did. Was just trying to show how fanciful Jowett's claim was.

:(

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Very cool report.

:yikes Yeah i listed him as one of the top 20 strongest people in the world (on my list in The Goerner Reborn section)and thats before I knew he had a grip???!!!.

Somebody better tell him about the Millenium being at 'The Snowman'strongman contest in Illinois......

Fatboy 250,

Quite serious.The 226lb Millenium Dumbell has NEVER been lifted from the GROUND by anyone.

It will be at the PRO StrongMAN contest called 'The Snowman' in Illinois.The promoter Is John Beatty.

Roark is the provider of the dumbells.

IF you have a way to get the message to Thompson..please do. :laugh

Sounds like he is a candidate to do it...........

I'm impressed and fired up to kick butt before Jan 4th. I would also like to run Mr Sorins gauntlet. Tom its 228 - not 226.

Edited by mobsterone

Before Jan 4, I'll try to get mine weighed on a good scale. Weighing it

at home on my digital bathroon scale, by upending in (yes with two hands, Steve) and placing it on the scale, I got a reading of 232 lbs-

which I suspect is too heavy, so I'll try to get it to an accurate scale.

On the other hand, it feels like 300 lbs to me!

Sorry.226?228?232????It's all too heavy for me.....

BTW...your ability to lift it off the phonebook IS impressive to me......I'm sure you'll get it off the floor soon enough... ;) sounds like an interesting training method...

Joe I had the same problem weighing mine. Let me know what you get. I know mines 228 but there will be a pound or three variation and yes its a sod to get it on isn't it?

Well, about Don. I can assure you that he has no interest in being a strongman. He is completely dedicated to PL. He has his own private gym where only the best PL from around the area go. Much like WSB. That's where the Louie Simmon's connection comes from. In fact, I had to coax him into trying the Inch. After that, it was much easier to convience him to try the other stuff. The only thing he didn't try was all the different grippers Richard has.

Also, don't discount his 2400 total as something easy to come by. I know this isn't a PL forum, but you have to respect a total like that just as much as the other lifts.

The most important reason I admire all that he has accomplished is that he has ALWAYS been drug free. A quality that seems to be lacking in many of the world's "strongest"

Fatboy 250,

He is an all around-very strong- impressive ndividual.Very impressive.

My off the wall suggestion :blink was more for the fun of it...although it would be cool :cool to see him try it.

He wouldn't have to convert to the 'dark side :dry'of strongman to give the Millenium a shot though.

The promoter is just chargeing a nominal fee to anyone that wants to try...it's not part of the actual strongman contest. It might be history in the makeing???

The 2400 total is amazing...!!!!and the grip feats that he completed makes his overall strength/power even more impressive.

Again thanks for the report....(good witnesses too :ohmy )

The anvil was in its "unloaded state"and weighed 149 not the usual 196 as it is in the gauntlet.Don deadlifted lifted the Henry Inch bell very strongly both right and left handed. My son Bert says Don has long included thick bar work in his training.This young giant by the way totaled 2425 not 2400.

The anvil was in its "unloaded state"and weighed 149 not the usual 196 as it is in the gauntlet.Don deadlifted lifted the Henry Inch bell very strongly both right and left handed. My son Bert says Don has long included thick bar work in his training.This young giant by the way totaled 2425 not 2400.

Richard,

Thanks for the clarification on the anvil. For some reason, the previous posts didn't include the (plus) after 2400. He has totaled 2400(plus) 3x I believe, each of his last three meets.

As for his age and all, I believe he is 37, 6'1", and about 365lbs.

Edited by Fatboy250

Don is a straightforward and unassuming gentleman. He and his wife run a first class key gym in Columbia SC, The Thompson Barbell Company. We shipped his Atlas and Shrug Bar but he opted to come visit to pick up his 3" diameter Kong. He is not a large man, as Richard is. But he is big in the character and work ethic departments. Thick bar training is indeed one of his strong suits.

Don is a straightforward and unassuming gentleman. He and his wife run a first class key gym in Columbia SC, The Thompson Barbell Company. We shipped his Atlas and Shrug Bar but he opted to come visit to pick up his 3" diameter Kong. He is not a large man, as Richard is. But he is big in the character and work ethic departments. Thick bar training is indeed one of his strong suits.

John,

He got out of the gym business and sold Thompson Barbell a few years ago and now has his own private gym appropriately named Maximus Barbell.

Jason