Question For Mabsterone . . .

austinslater

Mob-Your 280 rolling thunder is unreal! Do you have any tips on how to peak for this event? Im planning on hitting a RT contest in april and am totally new to grip training. Ive already gotten some good advice from others on this board but would still like to hear from you. I had planned on doing something like this after taking some advice from others on the board; day1 rolling thunder, day2 coc work, day3 thick bar deads with 2 1/2 and 3" dbs or barbells. I have a rolling thunder and thick db's 2 1/2 and 3". I also have 2" and 2 1/2" barbells. Thanks in advance for all your help! Austin

I have replied to the email you sent me. Feel free to put the reply here. BTW 282 lbs (I can't wait for some wag to cast aspertions).

Thanks for the reply. I didnt get the email, for some reason my email is acting up. You can try again or post it here. I might have given you my old email also. My new one is austinslater@aol.com. Sorry for the inconvienence! Looking forward to hearing from you. ALso is the 283 a world record? Thanks and GOd BLess-Austin

Here's the reply I sent to the AOL email.

282 pounds. I might well be 282 tomorrow! Depending on your bodyweight/age and the rules of the competition and add in what I have seen as results from previous competitions a good number would be 150-200 pounds. I would advise using chalk but most comps do not allow anything else with one or two not allowing chalk either. Train with and without (more on this in a mo).

Regards training. I'd ask more than one person from the board. What works for me and now my training partner doesn't seem to work for all.

Best to get a balance of views.

What I do is...

Rolling Thunder: A single rep with 80 kilos (176) plus the handle and weight pin (7 = 184 pounds) - no chalk. A single rep with 100 kilos (220 plus 7 = 227 pounds) - no chalk. A maxed out single (currently 282) with chalk and then 4-6 reps in quick succesion with 80 kilos again (some chalk still on my hand).

My training partner who has been training on the lift with me for 5 weeks can do 227 and does as follows:- 4 reps each hand (alternating) with 40 kilos plus, 3 reps alternating 60 kilos, 3 reps alternating 80 kilos, max single with 100 kilos (as of last Tuesday) and 4-6 reps with 80 kilos.

Note: there may be some variation between handles and how freely they spin.

One site uses an air line to make sure that there is no chalk etc under the sleeve. Rules are available from Randall Strossen (I have a copy if you want) on how the lift is done in competition.

Thick handles: Loads on the site on this. Do a search. Tip: as with the

rolling thunder doen't just grip - squeeze as thoughj you want the hand to crush the handle and ensure every inch of skin is in contact with the

handles.

A training programme: I do my rolling thunder work on the same day as Leg Presses, bench presses and chines. I do the RT work first when I'm fresh. I do my grip work - Thick handles, weaver stick and partial deadlifts 2 days later and I do grippers when I feel like it.

2.5 inch handle against Rt handle. About the same but the RT handle turns and my 2.5 doesn't (I set up the dumbbell so that everything is so tight it doesn't budge). So while I'm good (great?) on both they are different. If the dumbbell was loose I might have a different opinion.

Gripper tip: attitude. Treat it like a max bench, squat or deadlift. Come in and max out with fire in ya balls! Oh and read up on Pavel T from DragonDoor. You can use the whole body to shut a gripper.

Steve

Mob-Thanks for the reply. just one more question before I let you go. What are your pr's in the 2 1/2" and 3" db's? Just curious if I should expect more on the RT then the Db's Thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated! Ill let you know how I do.Austin

I don't have a 3 inch db so don't know and I have done 83 kilos on a 3.5 inch bell at the 2002 Iron Grip comp. On a 2.5 inch bell I have totalled 272 pounds x 4 x 1 but have 300 x 1 in mind for Jan 18th.