Vitual Barehand Comp?

foxyj75

In light of all the wrapping debates lately, I propose a virtual comp that will not be subject to those debates. This will just be you and the steel, no cows involved! :D

So, I'm curious. I wanna see how far I can take this barehanded thing, and some friendly competition would be good motivation. Here's my thought. Let's keep it simple. Round the ends of the bar if you want, and a max length of 8''. Any style goes as long as it's unbraced. 5 min. limit. Hands in view in the vid at all times. To allow time for skin conditioning and training, the comp will last until the end of the year. If anyone has any thoughts about the rules, fee free to speak up. Lets bring on the PAIN!! :rock :rock

-Foxy<><

Edited by Foxman

Sure. I've just got to make a trip to TS to get some easier stock :blush

I would love to try, but my hands bring me alot of money during the day. Can't risk it for the sake of a few debates. I'll be up for an IMP only comp, that's about as crazy as I would get ;)

Cool. I just wanna remind everyone to go at your own pace. No need to impale yourselves trying to be hardcore. We have the better part of a year to work up to tougher bends. I also wanna see, when this is done, the carry over to padded bending. :cool

I'll do it with you Fox - I know I can bend 7" x 1/4" crs easily right now, but can't do 5/16" x 7" - so how are we to do this? use drillrod? and then what about calibration and all that? just curious

I'll do it with you Fox - I know I can bend 7" x 1/4" crs easily right now, but can't do 5/16" x 7" - so how are we to do this? use drillrod? and then what about calibration and all that? just curious

Paul,

Glad you're in. I was thinking that in the beginning, we could do it like this:

For a given diameter, material determines difficulty for the same length; such as this example:(hrs, national crs, steelworks crs, fbbc crs, 0-1 drillrod, 304, 303. This being easiest to hardest.

Bolts g5 and up beat crs.

Lets to keep it simple and get back to basics. If you use incremental drillrod, bigger diameter wins over smaller for same length.

If need be later on, we can possibly get stuff calibrated if there's a few bends real close to each other.

Keeping things 8'' to 7'' will make things easier than a ton of different lengths. Possibly using only 7'' lengths later on? For standardization?

Any input is welcomed, as are comments if you have a better idea! :cool

sounds like a great idea to me ...

Carl,

i am theraphist , i do "massages" for living ...:-)

i dont plan to start barehanded now (maybe 1/2 months from now) but i am IN!:-)(because the comp its till end 09)

God bless u Fox!:-)))

Can we have an honors system here for steel with 1/64" incriments? Im not going to say that I'm bending 19/64" d-rod when I'm really bending 9/32" d-rod, and I'm sure nobody else would either. Is that cool with you Fox?

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. Let's just be honest about what you're bending. I see no need for a micrometer anywhere. I mean, really, what do you have to gain by cheating? You'll only be cheating yourself. :D

Paul,

Glad you're in. I was thinking that in the beginning, we could do it like this:

For a given diameter, material determines difficulty for the same length; such as this example:(hrs, national crs, steelworks crs, fbbc crs, 0-1 drillrod, 304, 303. This being easiest to hardest.

Bolts g5 and up beat crs.

Lets to keep it simple and get back to basics. If you use incremental drillrod, bigger diameter wins over smaller for same length.

If need be later on, we can possibly get stuff calibrated if there's a few bends real close to each other.

Keeping things 8'' to 7'' will make things easier than a ton of different lengths. Possibly using only 7'' lengths later on? For standardization?

Any input is welcomed, as are comments if you have a better idea! :cool

all of that sound good except I've always expierienced National being harder than Steelworks - thats wierd - I'm down for whatever

• 4 weeks later...

That was a damn good bend Ben, very quick considering. No looking at hands for damage either, were you just being macho for the vid or are you really that hardcore? I seem to always do that when bare hand bending even though I know it's usually not going to hurt me, and I see most everyone else doing it as well even Gazza. It's funny the one time I did cut my hand on a bolt thread I didn't look and started bleeding everywhere.

Nice Ben!! Congrats! :rock

I plan to do some barehanded stuff here soon, I've just been preoccupied with my other lifting, and the fam has been sick with strep :( lately(I didn't get it! woo hoo!)

That was a damn good bend Ben, very quick considering. No looking at hands for damage either, were you just being macho for the vid or are you really that hardcore? I seem to always do that when bare hand bending even though I know it's usually not going to hurt me, and I see most everyone else doing it as well even Gazza. It's funny the one time I did cut my hand on a bolt thread I didn't look and started bleeding everywhere.

Yepo the reason i look at my hands is so that i can see it hurting and the pain and damage its inflicting this then makes me even madder and stronger and i then attack the steel even more.

Ends at the end of '09. I'am in. I've only been bending regularly for a little over a month so this should be good for me. I just bought 18' of stock from Lowes to train with, I guess this will last at least a couple days! :D

Thanks Tim! Lol, not being tough, it was just one of those bends where I knew I hadn't hurt them too much. I'll be very frank and say that it hurts my hands. Otherwise I'd be ripping through some real steel--like a Bastard or an Edgin. The only time I've cut my hand was actually last night when I tried a 1/4"X7" Square-FBBC. Reversed it to about 10 degrees and then tried to DU it and I don't think it moved. I did cut the shit out of my palms though and I won't try a square ever again.

Nice Ben!! Congrats! :rock

I plan to do some barehanded stuff here soon, I've just been preoccupied with my other lifting, and the fam has been sick with strep :( lately(I didn't get it! woo hoo!)

Thanks Jeremiah! I just wanted to nudge you guys into updating this thread. Wasn't any kind of a challenge because I know that there are quite a number of us who can do a 1/4"X7" CRS any day of the week. I bet you'll be doing something in 5/16" HRS or CRS before too long though the way your handkerchief bending is going. I might try a Bastard in a handkerchief before my kettlebell gets here.

I am up for knockin a few barehanders out over the next week or so.

Right on Gary! I figured this might encourage you to dust off the steel and show us how it's really done.

Respect++ for the speed and hardcoreness Ben!!! :bow

Thanks Luuc! I know you and I have had our disagreements in the past. But I think we both agree that the barehand stuff hurts, lol. :) On that note, an oilfield uncle of mine told me that after he watched my bend, he went to the hardware store, bought some 1/4" CRS-SteelWorks and bent a 7" piece of that barehand with no difficulty at all. He has some of the most solid hands I've ever seen. Lots of oilfield work.

Ends at the end of '09. I'am in. I've only been bending regularly for a little over a month so this should be good for me. I just bought 18' of stock from Lowes to train with, I guess this will last at least a couple days! :D

Tear it up man. Hopefully you'll experiment with all types of padding. No padding all the way to super fatty pads. It'll all make you stronger.

Tear it up man. Hopefully you'll experiment with all types of padding. No padding all the way to super fatty pads. It'll all make you stronger.

I have a couple pair of leather pads and a couple pair of IM's, I like to use them when my hands are beat up from work and barehand stuff. Thanks for bumping this thread up, I had forgot all about it.

• 6 months later...

GUYS,

Hurry up!.. time is shorth(end 09) play hard! :D

Just curious; its necessary to get the bar under 2" or not?

For me it makes sense to get it under 2"...

what do u think guys?