Wrapping

aklifta907

SO I'm a newbie and have been reading all the recent hub bub about wrapping and thick wraps, thin wraps, double layer wrapping etc etc. All I have is 2 thin pieces of suede. each piece is about 8 inches long and 3" wide. What kinda wrap is this considered, thick, thin, ????. When the bolt or nail is wrapped the thickness of the wrap isn't very thick, its just enough to keep the nail or bolt from (what it feels like, piercing the skin) It still hurts when I bend, but I enjoy the pain a little and look forward to it really making my hands tough. Should I change anything or just keep doing whats been working for me?. what are advantages of thicker wrap VS thin wraps?

Thicker wraps gives you more leverage for the initial kink, even tho thinner wraps is based more on wriststrenth (?). This is what it feels for me tho.

8x3 wraps are much thinner than most use. Whether you want to go with more or not is entirely up to you.

Thick wraps are useually used to bend big steel, they give you more leverage so you are able to bend bigger steel.

That's one advantage, you also don't feel any pains from the steel.

The disadvantage: it's generally seen as less 'real bending'; compared to the old days (where thin wraps and no wraps were used) you are stronger even though you're not on a level that the old guys had to be in their time.

Some people have pains in their shoulder from injury's, they are often unable to bend in thick wraps. (Don't ask why, I'm still blessed with healthy shoulders).

Thin (or no) wraps are used to actually feel the steel in your hands, to try to feel how olt time benders felt, the advantage is; you're hands and fingers will need to be strong enough to hold the steel and not give in to the pain. This will make you a stronger bender (not that fat pads don't make you stronger though, the difference is in the area's where you gain strength; thin wraps will tend to really make fingers and wrist stronger, every single muscle in your hand will need to hold on to the steel).

The disadvantage is you'll need to be patient; it'll take time for your hands to be conditioned and to be able to stand the pain.

You must be the one to decide what type of wrapping is good for you.

I hope I helped you with this explanation, and I hope I didn't forget anything.

IMO use what you have now but don't get punctured. I started with denim close to the same measurements. I would also get some IM pads (more than 1 pair to save on shipping :D ) as well as the leathers from FBBC and suede from Tandy and I believe David Horne also has wraps. Try them all. If you intend to Cert on the RedNail, you will need to use IM Pads more often to condition your hands.

SO I'm a newbie and have been reading all the recent hub bub about wrapping and thick wraps, thin wraps, double layer wrapping etc etc. All I have is 2 thin pieces of suede. each piece is about 8 inches long and 3" wide. What kinda wrap is this considered, thick, thin, ????. When the bolt or nail is wrapped the thickness of the wrap isn't very thick, its just enough to keep the nail or bolt from (what it feels like, piercing the skin) It still hurts when I bend, but I enjoy the pain a little and look forward to it really making my hands tough. Should I change anything or just keep doing whats been working for me?. what are advantages of thicker wrap VS thin wraps?

as I understand it, you're fairly new to bending?

if that's the case, don't think too much about bending. just make sure that you have wraps that are puncture-safe. In the beginning you will harden and condition your hands a great deal just by starting bending, when you have been doing it for a couple of months, assess which way you want to go. But in the beginning, just have fun, and don't overthink it :)

/Henrik

as I understand it, you're fairly new to bending?

if that's the case, don't think too much about bending. just make sure that you have wraps that are puncture-safe. In the beginning you will harden and condition your hands a great deal just by starting bending, when you have been doing it for a couple of months, assess which way you want to go. But in the beginning, just have fun, and don't overthink it :)

/Henrik

Awesome advice, thanks guys. I will continue with what I have been using. Yeah I'm new and just enjoying the new workout that bending is providing me. I'm a purest at heart I guess so I'll continue to use as thin as a pad as I can without hurting myself. I'm not into this to break any bending records, I like the personal challenge that a piece of steel gives me. So I'll keep it simple and keep the wraps thin and feel the steel give way to me. Thanks guys!!

this is not directed at alaska-grip. But I would say to all the new benders out there is try and find your own path. experience your own faults. find what you love to do through your own journey. find your own pain. dont try and live other peoples pain. Just experiment, thats my advice :rock :rock :rock

this is not directed at alaska-grip. But I would say to all the new benders out there is try and find your own path. experience your own faults. find what you love to do through your own journey. find your own pain. dont try and live other peoples pain. Just experiment, thats my advice :rock :rock :rock

This.

Just bend :D I think regardless of the differences of opinion on here everyone that posts in this forum loves to bend. Its such a quick addiction once you really get into it. Once you start getting decent size pieces to melt in your hands there is no turning back.