Do Problems

aklifta907

So I'm new to bending. I am bending 5.5" CRS 1/4 steel so far and killing 1/4 5" G2 bolts easily. I've bent 2 60D nails succesfully but I must admit they were tough SOB's. My problem is that while trying to get the initial first bend or kink I HAVE to use the DU method. I can generate no power at all in the DO while the bolt or nail is straight. BUT as soon as theres a decent bend in the bolt my DO is very strong and I and finish my bend easily. Am I just not built for a strong DO and the DU is just my style? or does my form absolutely suck and with some instruction I can develope my DO to be strong?.

So I'm new to bending. I am bending 5.5" CRS 1/4 steel so far and killing 1/4 5" G2 bolts easily. I've bent 2 60D nails succesfully but I must admit they were tough SOB's. My problem is that while trying to get the initial first bend or kink I HAVE to use the DU method. I can generate no power at all in the DO while the bolt or nail is straight. BUT as soon as theres a decent bend in the bolt my DO is very strong and I and finish my bend easily. Am I just not built for a strong DO and the DU is just my style? or does my form absolutely suck and with some instruction I can develope my DO to be strong?.

hm, first let me say that it's not a problem to work a lot of DU when you're a beginner. DU builds wrist and tendon strength and will make your DO much stronger.

Regarding overhand, DO is often a little tricky to get the hang off, but check these videos out:

They are somewhat different regarding the kink, but try to see the similarities (there are of course other great kinkers, but these videos really has helped me alot)

/Henrik

A video would be helpful, but, I started the same way except Reverse was my kinker. It is important to keep the bar high and the more confident you hit the bar and bending forward at the waist the easier it will give way. I am confident your DO will catch up and pass the other styles. Also, it is very helpful to start with fresh, rested hands :D

To me, i am a strong DO kinker. If you do alot of training beside grip, bending etc, try doing some dips. I felt that after doing alots of dips, i can get my hands and elbows pretty far up under my chin, and still generate alot of power for the kink :)

Edited by Darko

Sweet superkink video selection, Henrik :rock

Yeah, I know, it's made wonder for me :)

David Wigren has a sick way of using his wrist-torque in his kink, I'm slowly learning it, but he's a natural :)

[David Wigren has a sick way of using his wrist-torque in his kink, I'm slowly learning it, but he's a natural :)

Ha! I started bending with IM pads because of his videos :cool Despite being much shorter and fatter, I bend with a similar overall style.