Anyone Know How To Remove Gripper Handles?

lloyd80s

If anyone can help me with this it'd be great, I've got a #3 which is mounted lower than some of my other making it feel a tad more easy than most of the others.

I'm trying to remove the handles, drill down 3 or 4 mm and re-mount it but I've go no idea how to get the handles off. I tried boiling water on them and twisting but they wont budge!

Does andone have any tips?

Thanks,

Lloyd

If anyone can help me with this it'd be great, I've got a #3 which is mounted lower than some of my other making it feel a tad more easy than most of the others.

I'm trying to remove the handles, drill down 3 or 4 mm and re-mount it but I've go no idea how to get the handles off. I tried boiling water on them and twisting but they wont budge!

Does andone have any tips?

Thanks,

Lloyd

ask magnus I am pretty sure he knows how.

Heat one handle really good with a heat gun (1000w or so). Now wrap the handle in a single piece of leather, and put it horizontally in a vice. Now stick a piece of pipe (wrapped in tape to protect the spring) through the spring, and evenly twist back and forth until it comes out. Then just repeat with the other one.

Heat one handle really good with a heat gun (1000w or so). Now wrap the handle in a single piece of leather, and put it horizontally in a vice. Now stick a piece of pipe (wrapped in tape to protect the spring) through the spring, and evenly twist back and forth until it comes out. Then just repeat with the other one.

Thanks mate, only trouble is.....I don't haved a heat gun. Is there any other way you know of? Also if I did get a heat gun wouldn't it cause the handle to look like crap after being heated?

Have you ever personally removed a COC spring from the handles?

Thanks mate, only trouble is.....I don't haved a heat gun. Is there any other way you know of? Also if I did get a heat gun wouldn't it cause the handle to look like crap after being heated?

Try just boiling it first. All you really wanna do is soften the epoxy.

And no, heating it w/ the gun doesn't affect the handles at all. Here's a 250 I did. As you can see, it didn't affect them at all:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7817

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7818

Edited by Magnus

Not any CoCs, just a bunch of my my HGs.

Ok. Just to give a tip. The COC springs are extremely difficult to remove. The spring legs are set about 2 1/4 inches deep into the handles. You have to actually stand over top of the gripper while twisitng and pulling up on the spring like your life depended on it. :) It is best to have inserted rubber jaws in the vice as well because you can mar the handles. The rubber jaws are magnatized and are placed on the vice jaws for protection.

The job is a real bear

Ok. Just to give a tip. The COC springs are extremely difficult to remove. The spring legs are set about 2 1/4 inches deep into the handles. You have to actually stand over top of the gripper while twisitng and pulling up on the spring like your life depended on it. :) It is best to have inserted rubber jaws in the vice as well because you can mar the handles. The rubber jaws are magnatized and are placed on the vice jaws for protection.

The job is a real bear

Sounds like fun :laugh I've been cake-walk remounting w/ the HGs :D

And no, heating it w/ the gun doesn't affect the handles at all. Here's a 250 I did. As you can see, it didn't affect them at all:

I've just had it in a pot of boiling water (much to my wife disaproval) for about 10 minutes and still it wont budge!! Shall I just give up on this one?

I've just had it in a pot of boiling water (much to my wife disaproval) for about 10 minutes and still it wont budge!! Shall I just give up on this one?

If you can't break it free with a vice, then yes

be careful with the heat gun in this process. those put out temps high enough to change the temper of the spring if your not careful.

- Aaron

be careful with the heat gun in this process. those put out temps high enough to change the temper of the spring if your not careful.

- Aaron

Yeah, I usually only heat toward the middle of the handle in order to avoid that.

I would give up on boiling. I couldn't get it to work either.

I would give up on boiling. I couldn't get it to work either.

Yeah, me neither. Got my gripper really clean though! :D

if the epoxy is holding that well after boiling and careful heatgun work, I would think it would be only a small percentage of them that are removable without damaging either the spring temper or the handles in the process. Might be better to not try to remove them on the IM grippers at least.

- Aaron

if the epoxy is holding that well after boiling and careful heatgun work, I would think it would be only a small percentage of them that are removable without damaging either the spring temper or the handles in the process. Might be better to not try to remove them on the IM grippers at least.

- Aaron

I have removed IM #3 and #4 springs from their handles. This was done for the purpose of using the springs in an extended 9 inch single handle. It was an extremely difficult task. But it was accommplished and no damage done to the spring or handles. I will never want to do it again. :)

Some type of extractor tool is need for these springs :)