Have I Not Been Bending Gr 5?

wlong132003

Ok I have been bending for a couple months now and every time I go to Lowes to pick up some bolts I get the Grade 5's and have the store helper check the computer numbers to verify that there grade 5's Once that is done I move out. My question is this. I can't seem to get the 1/4x 6 or 7" CRS and I can get the bolt that is labeled BL. Is it a grade 2? Or is it the fault of the steel being weaker and stronger?????

BL is a grade 2. Sorry to say it is normally one of the weakest ones as well.

It is easy to identify graded bolts though, they have specific markings on the top of the head, both standard and metric.

bolt markings

It is important to realize realistically where you are at and what progression you need to follow to make progress so don't be discouraged, you will get the crs and g5 before too long.

Thanks for the info I see that chart today when I was searching for my answer and I got upset I started wondering because I felt I was progressing to fast with my bending. Oh well I guess I will have to go bend some more. We should take some pictures of the heads and post them in here to visualize the different bolts. I don't know if it has been done already.

This also means that my 60D's are not real either! I am beyond pissed right now with Lowe's there bins are wrong!

Thant kind of sucks, I guess, but at least you figured out what the problem was. I am sure I've seen posted pictures of bolt heads in someone's gallery for comparison, but I can't recall where (my own camera isn't good enough for close shots or I'd post them myself). But like Tim said, they are easy to identify by the raised hash marks arranged around the edge an equal distance apart. Three marks for a grade 5, six for a grade 8. Grade 2's have none.

The Diesel Crew's bending e-book has this stuff detailed with pictures, plus nail size charts and bending techniques for various styles, if you don't mind spending a few bucks.

Thant kind of sucks, I guess, but at least you figured out what the problem was. I am sure I've seen posted pictures of bolt heads in someone's gallery for comparison, but I can't recall where (my own camera isn't good enough for close shots or I'd post them myself). But like Tim said, they are easy to identify by the raised hash marks arranged around the edge an equal distance apart. Three marks for a grade 5, six for a grade 8. Grade 2's have none.

The Diesel Crew's bending e-book has this stuff detailed with pictures, plus nail size charts and bending techniques for various styles, if you don't mind spending a few bucks.

Yes it does suck but I knew there was a problem when I was seeing other beginners starting bending was not progressing as I was. So I started looking. I am going to buy the Bending ebook I have almost all of there other manuals mite as well get this one I have no doubt it rocks!

Thanks for the info I see that chart today when I was searching for my answer and I got upset I started wondering because I felt I was progressing to fast with my bending. Oh well I guess I will have to go bend some more. We should take some pictures of the heads and post them in here to visualize the different bolts. I don't know if it has been done already.

This is a great reference that I used when I first started. Derek Graybill(vikingsrule) is the author so thank him for this info ;)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6896

This is a great reference that I used when I first started. Derek Graybill(vikingsrule) is the author so thank him for this info ;)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6896

Awesome thanks and thank you Derek for posting that I think I may try a 5/16" Grade 2 now I suppose thats my next step.

Ok will do. Would a Grade 2 that size work as well?

There is a lot of variance, but I think in general a 5/16" Grade 2 is harder than a 1/4" G5. and that 5/16" HRS is harder than either at the same length.

I don't know how much volume you picked up but I would bet you paid a lot more for the bolts if they were charging you for Grade 5's? You should find out so maybe you can get some money back...

I don't know how much volume you picked up but I would bet you paid a lot more for the bolts if they were charging you for Grade 5's? You should find out so maybe you can get some money back...

That is a point...maybe not worth it, but I think G5's often cost 3x or 4x more than G2's the same size.

Not worried about that now the reciept is gone and the "Grade 2's" are bent. I thought the 5/16 would be much harder then the gr 5. I got to look into the 60D's because I picked up some more a few days ago when I realized all this and I can't bend them. I thought wow these must be 70 or 80D's. I guess I will have to find the diameters of each to find out if it is a 60D.

What's scary is that people have been buying them for other purposes thinking that they're G5s, and they're really G2s.

What's scary is that people have been buying them for other purposes thinking that they're G5s, and they're really G2s.

I thought about that last night also. What if some dude is putting some big item together with these bolts that are much weaker then the GR 5. Some one could get hurt! I am going to tell Lowe's of this later so no one gets hurt.

I thought about that last night also. What if some dude is putting some big item together with these bolts that are much weaker then the GR 5. Some one could get hurt! I am going to tell Lowe's of this later so no one gets hurt.

For Grade 5 bolts I would go to Fastenal there alot cheaper there and you can get

longer length there too I got 1/4"x7" & 1/4"x6.5" G5s and a 1/4"x6.5" G8

For Grade 5 bolts I would go to Fastenal there alot cheaper there and you can get

longer length there too I got 1/4"x7" & 1/4"x6.5" G5s and a 1/4"x6.5" G8

Thats what I would like to get is some 7" grade 5's can I get the "Fastenal" brand at the hardware store? I think I could possible get it if I can get a 5.5" grade 2.

I've never seen 7" G5's (or G8's) at a regular hardware store. If you look in the phone book under "fasteners" there might be a Fastenal store close by. I live in a small town, but I was surprised to find two within reasonable driving distance.

Edit - here's the link to the Fastenal store locator. There are even more stores than I thought!: Fastenal Store Locator

Edited by The Writer

I've never seen 7" G5's (or G8's) at a regular hardware store. If you look in the phone book under "fasteners" there might be a Fastenal store close by. I live in a small town, but I was surprised to find two within reasonable driving distance.

Edit - here's the link to the Fastenal store locator. There are even more stores than I thought!: Fastenal Store Locator

Thanks man I have a hardware store I can go to that has EVERYTHING if you walked into it you would probably walk out because it is filled with junk but they do have everything. I will check them out to thanks for the link.

Hey, it looks like there's one about 10 minutes from my house in NY. I'll have to check it out when I come home this summer.

There's one opening up maybe two miles from me :rock Just what I need...another place to waste money :blush

When you get there ask them if you can get a catalog when I go there

I just give the part # and just come back a couple days later to pick them up.

The 7" & 6.5" G5s were (triangle ) so were the 6.5" G8s the bolts they can get in a

day or two the drill rod takes a week to get to Ca. . If you need the part # let

know I left my catalog at work today.

When you get there ask them if you can get a catalog when I go there

I just give the part # and just come back a couple days later to pick them up.

The 7" & 6.5" G5s were (triangle ) so were the 6.5" G8s the bolts they can get in a

day or two the drill rod takes a week to get to Ca. . If you need the part # let

know I left my catalog at work today.

Makes since I will do that. You saying the bolt portion was triangle or the head was?