My Grippers

ruffhans

Well i tried the old sacale thing with my grippers.

they role over too easy to get a good reading from my scale. so, whatever gripper i was trying to test i put inside the handle of one of those clamps from home depot.

puting the grippers on the inside of the clamp handles allowed me to push against a flat surface instead of the round surface of the grippers.

i tested each gripper 3 times!

my trainer came in at 155 lbs closed.

my #1 came in at 175 lbs

and my #2 was well over 200 lbs.

i could not tell how much, i had to stand on it to close it.

i wiegh 240, and it did not close! my body weight took it to within one half inch. when i looked down the scale read 205.

id ike to know what my #3 and #4 are

I tested my trainer on my scale the other week and it only read 90lbs :(

Still waiting for the mail to come in for my other grippers.

Jon@han

ruffhans, No offence, but you've made a great case against using the scale to measure grippers, those numbers seem surreal compared to anything that I've measured on a scale. Most #3's I've tested come in below the number you give for the #1 (Average probably around 150). I've never had a problem pushing a #2 down on a scale with just my hand, and don't have to stand on any #3 to close it. The only gripper I have to stand on to close is my old Silver Elite (And I'm 200-pounds). I own over 20 grippers so mine couldn't be that out of whack. What kind of scale did you use? If it reads that high maybe you don't weigh 240 either ;)

Well it was an electronic scale, and with all due respect i believe it was very close. im not sure how you held the gripper to test it, but when i pressed it agianst my knuckles on the scale it read low also, like 95 lbs. this is a bad way i feel due to the fact that your trying to close a gripper, plus press agianst the scale. i dont know how you did it.

i thought i would get a more acurate reading if wieght was just applied strate down on the gripper.

in other words one handle of the gripper is in contact with the scale without anything between them, and pressure is applied strate down on te other handle until the gripper is closed. this is also why it is hard to do anything hiegher tan a #2.

That is weird.... I dont have a scale right now but I did test my trainer and #2 before on one. The scale read ~60 pounds for the trainer and the #2 read at about 200. Im not sure exactly why you cant push down a #2 with or without standing on it. I tried it with my #3 and got it down pretty far, I was kindof afraid to go all the way cuz if it slipped... ouch! But I was no where near pushing up my whole body, I weigh in at about 195-200. That doesnt really make sense though since if It was that much, I would be pushed off the ground when I tested my #2, heres my theory... I think since when you read a scale with you standing on it it measures the weight spread out across, but when a large amount of force is applied to a small area on it, say the handle of a gripper, it will read more than it actually is. But anyway, yeah, scales do differ A LOT. But heres an idea, why dont we all go buy the same exact scale, we will deem it the official gripper testing scale, :stuart !

well i guess we will never know. there is no way or SURE to knwo if the scale rite. however, you guys say tat wen doing this, your grippers came in at, 60, 90 lbs? well we all know that althought each gripper differs a litte in puondage, there is noway a trainer is only 60 lbs. or a #3 90!! read the PDA results. even I.M says a trainer is at least 100 lbs.

ahhhhh! i whish there was a good way to find out what my gripers rank in as!!

can you guys tell that i need to know for my ego?

:D

no. realy i would like to know, i want to know just how much pressure i can sqeeze with my hands!

First, you must understand that the PDA numbers were meant to represent the torque in pounds-inch at the center of the handle, not the end. The numbers we are reporting are basically force needed to close a gripper from the end, not torque. PDA multiplied the reading they measured off the end by 2.375 (I think that was the number). My testing method is to take a washcloth, fold it up and place it on the scale. I then take the end of the gripper and place it on the washcloth and push down with my hand, using my bodyweight only for #2's and above. Also, I don't think anyone said that a #3 was only 90-pounds with this method. If you are pushing more down on the center of the handle, as opposed to the end of the handle, that could account for your discrepancies.

I used an electronic scale:

#1: 34kgs (74.8lbs)

#2: 47kgs (103.4lbs)

#3: couldn't manage to close it properly (that is to say weighing the point where the handles are JUST in touch...) because of a lack of control.

I'm 170lbs...

To prove how truly ridiculous this is:

My #1-110 pounds

Filed #2-138 pounds

PDA387-159 pounds

#3- 168 pounds

I did not stand on any of them-simple held the srping with one hand and pushed down with the other.

Come on guys-these numbers arent even close. Heck, the PDA gripper "tested" in at 387 and it is a toy compared to my #3.

I put way more stock into PDA's method. The scale method is garbage!

Rick Walker :yikes

Edited by Rick Walker

To further prove that scales are pointless:

I just weighed myself on the same scale-207 pounds.

I then put my #3 in a clamp and had my stepson steady it. I stood on it-the handles didnt touch :glare :whacked:whistel

Rick Walker :yikes

Ok so I think it's safe to say the scale system won't give you an acurate reading for the pressure required to close one. Could it be then just used as a simple gauge between your own grippers? Kindof like how a gas gauge in a car doesn't tell you the exact fluid amount but a rough guide.

BTW I just did my test by pressing it shut on the scale like a pushup.

Jon@han