60 Penny Nail

Adam Moyers

I've been reading the DC bending ebook and trying to learn what I can from watching everyones videos. I went to Lowe's and bought some 3/16"crs, 1/4"crs, grade 2 bolts, and some 60 penny nails. I'm sure my form sucks, but being new to bending I don't really now what I'm doing. I decided to try a 7"x1/4crs tonight and got it so I grabbed the 60 penny and went for it. I might be doing it totally wrong, but my goal was to bend it and thats what happened.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHqjlyETQ4

Any tips, critiques, or any thing you feel like posting is welcome.

Thanks

I've been reading the DC bending ebook and trying to learn what I can from watching everyones videos. I went to Lowe's and bought some 3/16"crs, 1/4"crs, grade 2 bolts, and some 60 penny nails. I'm sure my form sucks, but being new to bending I don't really now what I'm doing. I decided to try a 7"x1/4crs tonight and got it so I grabbed the 60 penny and went for it. I might be doing it totally wrong, but my goal was to bend it and thats what happened.

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byHqjlyETQ4

Any tips, critiques, or any thing you feel like posting is welcome.

Thanks

Yeah Yeah nice bend, now lets talk about THAT CAR!!!!!!!! Oh crap, that is my all time favorite muscle car ever!. You lucky SOB, is it yours? I'm assuming it is if its in your garage, unless its in storage for a buddy. Anyway, great bend and AWESOME car.

Thanks, it is my car. Might as well get this out of the way. It's a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 in it. Now back to the bending.

Thanks, it is my car. Might as well get this out of the way. It's a 1970 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 in it. Now back to the bending.

a 70' R/T with a 440 :rock:rock:rock I gotta go to my happy place for a few minutes :D I am not an experienced bender, I been bending for all of 1 week so far, so I can't really give you any tips. You got the damn nail bent pretty easily, Whatever you did worked for you. I'll let the good benders give you the advice.

Nice Bend Adam :rock Maybe bend over forward at the waist a bit to help start your Kink and maybe a little more space between your wraps would help you. Again, Congrats on your 60Ds :rock

Nice bend! (nice car, too :D) I wouldn't necessarily say there's a wrong way to bend, but if you look at your video on the initial kink, you see thet the bar bends when your wrists rotate. Strong, but less efficient than if you focus on bringing the shoulders and elbows forward while keeping your wrists locked.

Thanks for the comments. I will try bending forward at the waist, maybe that will help me bring my shoulders and elbows forward too.

good work Adam! your progress will be unreal if u put yourmind into it(thats what Gazza is always saying)!:-)

i would put all my bodyweight into the nail oposed to bend my back during the kink,seems like u are bending one 7" or 8" wich is not the case.

maybe its your flexibility that is playing against u? there's a good video made by Adam Glass showing how to improve it:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gPymEdzYM

(thanks timiacobucci)

Edited by ewokhugo

good work Adam! your progress will be unreal if u put yourmind into it(thats what Gazza is always saying)!:-)

i would put all my bodyweight into the nail oposed to bend my back during the kink,seems like u are bending one 7" or 8" wich is not the case.

maybe its your flexibility that is playing against u? there's a good video made by Adam Glass showing how to improve it:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gPymEdzYM

(thanks timiacobucci)

Interesting video, I will try it with a dumbbell. Next time I bend I will try to lean forward instead of backwards. I'm a work in progress, thanks for all the comments.

It looked like a very good bend to me. I see that you are using double wraps though, I am assuming you are looking to develop the most strength regardless of technique purity if you are using those wraps. You bent that pretty strict, fingers close together and straight over the top of the index finger. You could probably do the same in much less wrap pretty soon using that same technique.

But if you are also looking to bend bigger stuff in the doubles, it helps to also learn the pistol grip style. You just spread your index open a bit more and spread the load over both your index and middle finger. It does not work as well with less wrap and you should still work the stricter style you are using now. But if that is the type of bending you want to learn then experimenting with that grip will help you.

Also I know it is off topic and not what you were looking to discuss, but come on man, when you put that nasty bright orange car as your backdrop for a video you gotta expect some reactions. Maybe just have a friend revving the engine as background music next time. I bet that would get me fired up for a hard bend.

Nice bend Adam! Love the double wrapping, wonder who talked you into that, haha! You'll be bending some big steel by the time the contest rolls around man.

Thanks for the tips timiacobucci. I want to learn all styles eventually, but for now I want to do what ever will help me bend the hardest steel before the contest in May. I can't wait to see Ben bend in person, I think it will help me alot. Thanks again guys, keep the tips and comments coming. About the car, I don't mind people asking about it. I love that car so ask away.

Nice job, Adam :mosher Ha, I put a weight on my wraps while wrapping, too :cool

That is truly sweet. I'm mostly into newer muscle, but my eyes where instantly glued on that :D

But if you are also looking to bend bigger stuff in the doubles, it helps to also learn the pistol grip style. You just spread your index open a bit more and spread the load over both your index and middle finger. It does not work as well with less wrap and you should still work the stricter style you are using now. But if that is the type of bending you want to learn then experimenting with that grip will help you.

Huh, so it actually has a name :laugh I just started doing it cuz it was was annoying when my fingers were jamming into eachother :D

I use double wraps, too.

Edited by Magnus