2" V-bar

Jeff Parker

Anyone know how close using a 2" galvanized pipe with a floor flange is to the FBBC 2" v-bar?

Its on the lineup for the MGC, I have done 210 on a pipe, wanting to get a feel for what I will be opening up with and what to shoot for.

Thanks

A pipe is close, especially if it's 2". Close enough to train with. We might be using my Vbar as a matter of fact, we did last year. You might surprise yourself and pull more on mine ;)

Anyone know how close using a 2" galvanized pipe with a floor flange is to the FBBC 2" v-bar?

Its on the lineup for the MGC, I have done 210 on a pipe, wanting to get a feel for what I will be opening up with and what to shoot for.

Thanks

The big difference is the coating compared to bare steel. If you take an angle grinder and just remove the galvanized down to bare steel - it will compare very closely to the real thing. The one tenth of an inch difference is hardly anything but the galv will never season like steel will. A couple minutes with an angle grinder or ten minutes with a file should do it.

It's all about the texture. If it's Zach's vbar you'll probably pull more on it than the pipe, if others, then who knows. Just make sure your pipe is the same height as a shorter pipe WILL make it quite a bit easier.

I used a 2-inch pipe yesterday to practise the event (for Chad's comp) and put it on blocks to get the height within 1". I pulled 130-kilos in plates (286lbs). The pipe is galvanized.

It's all about the texture. If it's Zach's vbar you'll probably pull more on it than the pipe, if others, then who knows. Just make sure your pipe is the same height as a shorter pipe WILL make it quite a bit easier.

ok, didnt know about the height thing. I checked and mine is actually 2" longer. I just used some 2" pipe I had leftover from a project so I never measured it. Would it be worth it to cut it down?

I'd say no. Just allow for the difference between what you do in the gym and on the platform when working out where you'd be at.

It probably takes a whole minute to cut it down :D

24"

Yeah, but when you can never cut straight it takes hours to get it perfectly flat! I really need to just buy a metal blade for my dads chop saw. I have spent way too much time cutting up hex and york dumbbells and pipe with just a hacksaw, not to mention I use the same blade until the teeth are gone. Sometimes it does not pay to be cheap.

Yeah, but when you can never cut straight it takes hours to get it perfectly flat! I really need to just buy a metal blade for my dads chop saw. I have spent way too much time cutting up hex and york dumbbells and pipe with just a hacksaw, not to mention I use the same blade until the teeth are gone. Sometimes it does not pay to be cheap.

Buy a pipe cutter (the type with the wheel that you crank down as you spin the cutter). It makes a nice smooth cut that doesn't need grinding. Besides, wood chop saws are not made to handle the sparks and metal debris an abrasive wheel leaves behind.

You and me both bro I just spend 45 min on another hex its a work out in its self.

I just bought a homemade job today myself. 2 feet of pipe threaded on one end, and a 1.5 (inside diameter) to 2" coupler on the end. $15, took about 2 seconds to assemble.

In friction lifts, you never know what the hell you are gonna lift on meet day. Pretty hard to be consistent because of humidity differences. As long as you get something reasonably close you are fine.

Edited by Bob Lipinski

I have been using a 49mm just under 2" galvanized pipe I found at work for vbar. Been training it for a couple of months and have done 125kg (275lbs) on it but just got a 2" fbbc vbar and could only do 80kg (175lbs) first try which is a big difference but it is brand new and not seasoned yet I am sure it will go up when I get some chalk on it. Dont want to worry you just sharing my experiences.

Ive never saw a real one how long is it actually. then its really smooth 5 or 6 inches down from the top or something? is it smooth like chrome or just weathered or not painted at the top?

rico

How high do the plates have to come off the floor to count?