Is John Wood a Primate?

Bill Piche

The first picture is of the kiosk itself.  The flash obscured the markings a bit.  The caption says: "Compare your strength to other primates.  Use one hand to squeeze the handle as hard as hard as you can.  Measuring the exact grip strength of wild primates is rather difficult.  The ranges shown are general estimates.  For example, an adult male chimp is estimated to be three times as strong as an adult male human."  The second picture shows the measurement for my right hand. The markings were as follows:tarsier@7: 00, Marmoset a little above that, Potto a little above that, Velvet monkey @ 9: 00, Im not sure what the next marking was.  Rhesus macaque @11: 00, gibbbon @ 12: 00, Sitaka @ 1: 00, Babboon @ 2: 00, Chimpanze@4: 00, Orangutan@ 5: 00.  The third picture shows my effort with two hands which was between the chimp ang orangutan level. this was my second try with two hands. The flash didnt go off on the first which  was closer to the chimp level.  The last picture shows a little clearer view of the machine and also my sisters try which was at the 9: 00 level (which I can't quite make out) which was actually stronger than most of the dads who tried it.   This kiosk was very popular while I was there with just about everyone trying it who walked past.  The strongest measurement was chimpanze.  I dont know what a gorilla would measure but the gauge would probably have to spin around at least twice.  Kind of scary.  Watch for my Gibbon strength training manual to come out before Christmas. :p

When the booklet is produced they'll be a prize to see if you can tell which is the Primate and which is John (kidding :p) he he.

Years ago down in Miami at the Discovery Center, they had a human performance exhibit. Part of the exhibit was a test for human gip. It recorded both your best effort and the best attempt made so far on the device. I was able to easily beat the best recording even though people could have used both their hands at the same time.

John

No need to answer I have just spotted the post below

Where were the pictures taken (some kind of Zoo?), would like to have a try myself won't be anywhere near your mark though.