Total Newbie

aklifta907

I've been doing grip stuff for a few months now and I decided I wanted to try bending. I went to the local hardware store and the only nails that I bought were only 4" long, but they were 60d nails. They didn't have any 6" 60d nails. I honestly didn't even know what length to get, I just remember people saying to get 60d nails. Anyway's I cut up an old leather welding apron for a wrap and I wrapped up the nail and I bent it into a U pretty fast and easily. Is a 4" 60d nail harder than a 6" 60d nail and was this a good bend for a total newbie?. I bought like 30 nails thinking that It would take me awhile to get through them, but I have bent 4 of them and its really not even challenging me so I wasted that money. I'm going back, what should I look for now?. I want to order some nails for Iron mind or fat bastard, what can I bend in the mean time while waiting?. Thanks for any advice. -Spencer

Well I just watched a video of a guy bending a 60d nail and it looked bigger than my nail in the video, now I'm questioning If truly bought 60d nails, there were about 1 thousand of them in a big bin labeled "60d", but they just don't appear as thick as the ones in the video, I'll have to check now for sure. Its sad that I don't even know what a 60d should look like. :blink

A true 60d nail in the US is 6" long and about 1/4" in diameter. In Europe I believe they are usually 6mm in diameter. 40d nails are fairly common for bending, but I believe they are 5" long (and easier than a 60d). I am not sure what you have if they are 4" long. I buy 60d nails from Home Depot, they are Griprite brand and are in an open box...and definitely 6" long. If you can bend one of those just starting out, you're doing well. You can also look for 1/4" diameter Grade 2 bolts (or hex fasteners). They are very shiny-looking steel bolts, but softer metal than 60d's.

Yeah, after some research(what I should have done before this post) I see that a true 60d nail is 6" long. So I must have bought something different. I will go to home depot today and get some definate 60d nails, then we will see where I stand.

Just to be confusing...there are the smooth 60d nails and also 60d timber ties. The timber ties are easier. It might be best to try some of both, but for some unknown reason I've never seen the timber ties in an open box...just 50 lb. tubs, which might be more than you want...

Just to be confusing...there are the smooth 60d nails and also 60d timber ties. The timber ties are easier. It might be best to try some of both, but for some unknown reason I've never seen the timber ties in an open box...just 50 lb. tubs, which might be more than you want...

Matt, I've also seen the timber ties in a 5lb. box at lowes, but never loose like the real 60's.

Alaska, I think you may have 20d nails. Those are the only ones I can think of that are 4'' long. I might be wrong though.

Matt, I've also seen the timber ties in a 5lb. box at lowes, but never loose like the real 60's.

Alaska, I think you may have 20d nails. Those are the only ones I can think of that are 4'' long. I might be wrong though.

They actually do sell timber ties at HD separate... Or at least they do at the one I picked up my 5 lb box. I think they were 17 cents a piece. But, you're really better off going bulk.

well I was able to buy some grade 2 1/4"x6" long bolts. I was able to bend them, I wouldn't say it was easy, but I wouldn't say they are all I'm capable of. The first one I used my legs a little bit and then I was angry because it seems using the legs was cheating, so I did another one with all hands. I'd say the hardest part is getting the initial kink in the bolt from perfectly straight to the first bend, then it seemed pretty easy. Any secrets to building that initial strength to get the bolt to start that first bend?. Let me guess..........just keep bending :rock

I just read an awesome article on here about un-braced bending and it answered alot of my questions. I need to experiment and find out if I'm stronger with a double overhand or the underhand technique. Then I have to learn to explode into it, I feel now I was adding tension to the bar at a slow rate. How much harder is a 60d nail then the 1/4 inch 6" long grade 2 bolt?. I think I'll bend about 50 more of these and get my form down first before I go bigger. This stuff is so fun.

It helps to watch some videos of people with good bending technique. For double overhand, keep the bar high under your chin and explode into the bend with all your upper body strength focused on the bolt. I don't think the 60d is that much harder than a G2, but it is harder steel and won't crush as easily. If you can try 7" long by 1/4" round CRS first it might help. That's why I like the FBBC bender's bag...it has all the steps right there so you don't have to hunt around for something that might be easier or harder.

It helps to watch some videos of people with good bending technique. For double overhand, keep the bar high under your chin and explode into the bend with all your upper body strength focused on the bolt. I don't think the 60d is that much harder than a G2, but it is harder steel and won't crush as easily. If you can try 7" long by 1/4" round CRS first it might help. That's why I like the FBBC bender's bag...it has all the steps right there so you don't have to hunt around for something that might be easier or harder.

Thanks writer, I will pick some up, and now I'm gonna look into ordering the FBBC bag.

Thanks writer, I will pick some up, and now I'm gonna look into ordering the FBBC bag.

I wish I had known about this when I first started, this is about the best thing you can do, you will not regret it I promise.

Also don't worry about specializing in a certain way of bending, practicing all styles builds the most strength, and I think it is more fun and interesting anyways. Double overhand is the strongest technique though, it lets you use the biggest muscles and make the most use of additional wrap. As for wraps, it is also good to practice with more and less wrapping, they have different feels and work and strengthen different things.

These 2 things between style and wraps aside from bending stock (which FBBC will have covered) are the biggest beginner things I think people get hung up on.

Also don't overdo it when you begin and injure your tendons or hands until they are conditioned abit as it is very easy to abuse the hell out of them with bending.

thanks for the advice. I do tend to overdo when I get excited about something. Tonight I bent 3 of those grade 2 1/4"x6" bolts in about 2 minutes pretty easily now that my confidence is up. I am finding that to get the initial kink my double underhand is the strongest to get the bar to kink, then once its kinked I switch quickly to DO and it feels strong.

Welcome to the addiction. Im not so experienced myself, started for about 4 months ago. At the start, i overdid my bending. Couldnt move my fingers after a hard bend, so remember to take breaks :)