Dead raised

Roark

If you could bring a person, now deceased, to the grip

board to join us, who would you choose, and why? Choose

anyone in strength history, and pose one question to that

figure. Please select one at a time.

Can be a strongman, writer, promoter, manufacturer etc.

I would select Leo Gaudreau because he was a sound

historian and could read French, and thus answer my

questions about Apollon.

My question would be: From the vantage point of 2002,

which strongman stopped shortest of reaching his full

potential?

I would choose Louis Uni ! I would buy him COC's (if necessary) to convince him to train with them and see him close the #4 within the end of 2003 ! :D

I would ask him " Louis, tu peux m'expliquer pourquoi tu n'as jamais cherché a couper le poil que tu avais dans la main, merde ?" :D :D

From the vantage point of 2002,

which strongman stopped shortest of reaching his full

potential?

IMVHO Karl Norberg should be on the list.

Wow, I think Joe should have chosen Paul Anderson at his peak and then he could have said to Strossen 'in yer face!'. I'm tempted to suggest Louis Cyr, Hercules, Angus McGaskill (sp). As for the question: 'Can you be my mentor and teach me how to be the greatest?'

"Mac" Batchelor.

McCallum's description of his hand strength in an old Milo article amazed me. I would like to have known what he could do with grippers, pinch grip, etc.

Paul Anderson would be asked to compete in a powerlifting meet with the advantage of wearing all that ridiculous gear. Who wouldn't want to see Paul squat 200# more than the current IPF world record, though obviously it wouldn't be lifted in said organization with his professional status. I do get weary of watching the accomplishments of the true greats of yesteryear being overshadowed by all the bogus, meaningless lifts of today.

That would be worth seeing, if only to see if it were true...

I get weary of all the "bogus, meaningless" lifts of today being overshadowed by the greats of yesteryear.

Thomas Inch so we could interrogate him and watch him fail to lift his own dumbbell. If he was able to lift it we could say that it was the wrong bell and then give him the millenium to try. :)

Joe,

I would want John Davis to join us here on the board. Not only was his overall strength incredible, he also had very strong grip strength. Didn't he have a Weaver stick record for a bit? Of course he lifted the legendary Apollon wheels too. He performed many amazing lifts at a relatively light bodyweight. I would ask him how he trained and what his nutrition plan consisted of. He lived and lifted during a time when racism was strong, and I know he was a man of exceptional strength of character too.

John Davis had very small hands hadn't he (couldn't really get a good grip on apollon's axle)?

Can't imagine him lifting the Inch DB :whistel

But he would certainly have lot's of things to tell !

My pick would be Arthur Saxon. :D

So many to choose from...

1. Alan Calvert & Peary Rader & anyone else, ask them about any new training ideas

2. David Willoughby, ask him about Joe Roark

3. Doug Hepburn, ask him about the good old days

4. Thomas Inch, ask him what it's like to clean & press his 172 on a regular basis... :tongue