Fluctuations On The Grippers

gothrik

My question is basically do you guys find your grip strength doing the IM grippers fluctuates a lot or no?

I mostly do high rep grip work in the evenings, usually 1 set with my IM #1. However some days I can crank off 30-40 reps no problem. The next time I train it may be hard to do 20. I don't really do much in the way of setting, I just make sure that the same side of the gripper is always in my palms. I took some time off from regular grip training while I was deadlifting a lot, so is this fluctuation when I am starting back in normal? (Been about 6 workouts now and still fluctuating.) Or could it be the result of my "grab and go" approach to the grippers, and not taking time to set? (Though honestly I don't know how to "set" it.)

Thanks in advanced.

I found that my gripper strength/overall hand strength fluctuated quite a bit when I had a grab it and go approach. It was also all over the place when I did any kind of volume. For me it seems that once I put togethor a very simple routine and followed it, my gains finally started to be very consistent. I also do very little volume compared to most and concentrate more on overall hand strength than grippers in particuliar. I closed the #2 out of the package, but was very inconsistent with grippers until I learned how to set properly from one of John Eatons videos. This helped me the most.

I found that my gripper strength/overall hand strength fluctuated quite a bit when I had a grab it and go approach. It was also all over the place when I did any kind of volume. For me it seems that once I put togethor a very simple routine and followed it, my gains finally started to be very consistent. I also do very little volume compared to most and concentrate more on overall hand strength than grippers in particuliar. I closed the #2 out of the package, but was very inconsistent with grippers until I learned how to set properly from one of John Eatons videos. This helped me the most.

Yeah I do grippers once or twice a week usually alternating with wrist curls and IM's twist yo wrist. My reps are high but I always do 1 set.

Where can I find one of those videos by Eatons? Do I have to pay for them? If so :(

But thank you for the reply. :D

Here's a few "How to set" videos:

John Eaton:

Paul Knight:

Diesel Crew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaG1G80v4k

You shouldn't be doing high rep grippers if you want to make strength gains. Do low reps, no higher then 3, Negs, Overcrushes, coin holds, Bounce forced Negs, Choker work, etc.

Also incorporate more things into your routine, more variety, especially strengthening muscles that complement crushing, will increase your strength very well. Do pinch, block weights, extensors, thickbar, etc.

Edited by vikingsrule92

John Eaton:

Paul Knight:

You shouldn't be doing high rep grippers if you want to make strength gains. Do low reps, no higher then 3, Negs, Overcrushes, coin holds, Bounce forced Negs, Choker work, etc.

Also incorporate more things into your routine, more variety, especially strengthening muscles that complement crushing, will increase your strength very well. Do pinch, block weights, extensors, thickbar, etc.

What he said.

Hey! Thanks you helped in more ways than you can know... watching those couple of videos brought my addiction back! I haven't trained grip like I used to in almost 6 months! Time to get out all the toys!

Thanks for the advice... I have some extensors stuff I just haven't been doing it lately. The other thing I do for grip, and I suppose it would be like block weights is to pick up two dumbbells in one hand. Basically like they would be set on a rack... I just put my fingers on one handle and my thumb on the other, squeeze and life. Though I need to start plate pinching, and some other stuff again.

Yeah I need to go back to doing heavy work again, just tried my 2 with the "sets" from the videos and couldn't close it... and I used to no set it with no hand when I did low reps. Oh well live and learn. I suppose the rep work just helped me get some form back from the break.

Edited by The Steve Train

John Eaton:

Paul Knight:

What he said.

High reps do work for some people though.

John Eaton:

Paul Knight:

What he said.

High reps do work for some people though.

Agreed. High reps are great for newbies. They have a volume PR to shoot for instead of a resistance PR. Stops them from getting wicked tendonitis and/or an injury doing negatives right off the bat(on the off chance they do them right).

Warm up, that's important to help your strength be consistent. If I don't warm up it's 40 reps on my BC200. When I am it's 60. Plus, the more work you can do the faster you can gain strength. That's the other advantage to being warmed up, not to mention decreased risk of injury.