6 X 1/4 1045 Done

yohechris

Today I did what has been my short term goal for a while, a 6 X 1/4 of the 1045 I got at Fastenal. Unlike regular CRS, that 1045 never gives in. It's a beast, at least for me. Also did my first coil, 6' of 1/2 in HRS which I put three coils in. Not very well done but done and a lot of fun. I think 4 coils seems doable in 6 feet with better technique.

I also have quick question, when people talk about the pistol grip does the forefinger touch the bar directly or is it still on the pads?

I just got my wraps from FBBC which are a good bit better than the ones I had so I hope to finish off the 7 X1/4 sq. I kinked to about 10 degress and then get one all in one go.

Also a big thanks for all the info that is available here on the Gripboard , it's been a big help.

great job bro!

My index fingers are always resting on the bar when I bend. It just seems more comfortable to me. I can't bend with all my fingers on the wraps.

Thanks guys. The 1045 is about perfect for me right now, and it's real cheap. I think

I will try having my forefingers right on the bar, it seems like it would be more comfortable and give better leverage. I also realized I started the coil at the end and I wonder if I should start in the middle.

I would say it is better to start in the middle, but make sure you grip in as close as possible if you are trying to make the coils tight to get the most in a certain length section. Have you got any pics of the coil?

Also with pistol grip I do tend to rest my index on the bar. I dunno if everyone does it this way and I don't really plan it out but it seems to end up there on tough bends.

No, I don't have any pics. I could put some up but I'd have to figure out how. The coils look all out of whack, though. For the second coil I grabbed out real far on the bar which made it real easy but made a huge coil, so that makes sense if you grab closer the coil is smaller. I also have the problem of the coils getting out of the same "plane" as the others. Man, the braced stuff is fun. I actually got interested in it by looking at your scrolls, Tim, which are awesome. I've been interested in the unbraced stuff for awhile, I started last summer then stopped until this winter, but I just started the braced stuff and I really like it. My goal is to make some scrolls. I've always been interested in steel and sculpture and strength and the scrolls combine all three. I used to work construction and I'd look at the rebar and think, you could make something cool looking out of that, but I didn't know how.

I'll try to post a pic.

Thanks a lot for the input.

Thank you for the complements. It's always cool to get some more scrollers started on here.

Have you read Erik's article before?

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=13676

Allot of the little stuff like where you grab it and how it bends and the direction and plane of the coils will start to make sense the more you do it. It all has to do with where you are applying the force and it what direction. If you go slow and pay attention to those 2 things the way it bends will make sense.

Im not really into all this grip thing.. I just hold the pads the way that is natural for me.