Coc Starting Your Close

sjeff70

Hello all,

I used to visit here a few years ago and posted under the name sjeff70. There are some amazing things being accomplished since the last time I was here!

I was looking at many of the videos here and noticed that most don't sweep much, if at all, when closing a gripper. I trained this way for a few years until IronMind changed the rules. Now they require a 3 inch (credit card width) starting sweep. Am I correct in assuming that everyone who cheats the close, trains their 3" sweep separately so they can certify?

Paul Knight, in his "Setting the grip" video, while a fantastic instructional video, doesn't show the credit card width sweep and it seems doubtful that he'd be able to do it with the gripper set that high.

Jeff Schanz

Paul Knight, in his "Setting the grip" video, while a fantastic instructional video, doesn't show the credit card width sweep and it seems doubtful that he'd be able to do it with the gripper set that high.

That's because Paul is demonstrating the Mash Monster Set. The MMS requires you to start with the handles no closer than paralell to each other. He's currently climbing the MM ladder like you would walk down the street. Oh, and the credit card set is 2-1/8" wide.

Training heavy MMS has better crossover to CCS and TNS than it does the opposite way round. ;)

Okay. :)

For those interested in eventially certifying on the CoC, I see no advantage in using a different "set" unless you are trying to close other types of grippers.

I train my sweep separate from my close. If some of you wouldn't mind looking at my current philosophy, I'm currently building my reps on the #2 in order to get some work in on the #3:

Warm-up

T 1X1 from Sweep

#1 1X1 from Sweep

Workout

#2 1X1 negative from cheated full close (5 seconds to open)

#2 1X1 from credit card Sweep to close (almost a full close)

I can keep the #2 closed all the way for many reps, it's my sweep that sucks. This workout is done every 5th day. I worked up to these 4 sets over many weeks.

The goal is to build up as many reps as possible with the #2 so I can work on the #3. Right now I can't cheat close the #3 enought to make it worth it. I've been training with these for about 7 years or so and I'm coming back right now after a 1 year lay off. I'm handling more volume now then I ever could by cycling more aggressively by using shorter cycles. Does anyone see anything I need to work on...my gripper vision is short sighted, as I'm not sure how to work on weaknesses.

There is no need to train your set separately, just do enough No Set and CCS closes to be comfortable with the position and hammer your MMS set and choker closes. That's what I do and I can no set grippers very close to my max(and I have small hands).

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

There is no such thing as a "cheat" close. There are different sets for different certs out there. Ironmind uses CCS, MashMonster uses the MMS, and Tetting and RB certs use a TNS.

I've never trained for a CCS or TNS close, but I can close a #3 that way.

The best way to train your crush is a MMS set or even deeper. If you want to work on your sweep, start working on your open hand strength with plate pinching and/or blob lifting.

I always thought setting was cheating.

I was wrong.

At one point I could sweep a 4 almost as far as I could sweep a 3, but I couldn't close either.

Train grippers at 1" or less, and train pinch at 2" or wider, and you won't go far wrong.

you want to get stronger on the sweep, then work thickbar. I find it to be much more effective for strengthening the sweep range of the gripper close than doing actual tns or ccs closes. a minimal amount of work just to get comfortable with the technique is still needed though. if you want to get stronger on the last bit then choker work or MMS closes are the way to go.

- Aaron

you want to get stronger on the sweep, then work thickbar. I find it to be much more effective for strengthening the sweep range of the gripper close than doing actual tns or ccs closes. a minimal amount of work just to get comfortable with the technique is still needed though. if you want to get stronger on the last bit then choker work or MMS closes are the way to go.

- Aaron

Awesome advice Aaron - thats the ticket right there. Train the two seperately - thickbar for sweep + choker/MMS for the final crush = big gripper closes CCS/TNS style

Several of the top MMS guys (Paul K, Mobster, Teemu, Shane L) are also the top CCS/TNS guys (Paul K, Mobster, Teemu, Shane L) and with the exception of Mobster, I'm not aware that any of them work the wide set stuff other than as an afterthought. Martin A also falls into this with his wide sets but since there not really CCS and they're significantly wider than MMS it's hard to group him. As others have mentioned, MMS has a lot more carryover to CCS then vise versa.

In a nutshell: If you want to close the #3 quick throw it in a choker and work your way out to 2 1/8" then when you can hit that consistently start practicing out of the choker with the card.

Several of the top MMS guys (Paul K, Mobster, Teemu, Shane L) are also the top CCS/TNS guys (Paul K, Mobster, Teemu, Shane L) and with the exception of Mobster, I'm not aware that any of them work the wide set stuff other than as an afterthought. Martin A also falls into this with his wide sets but since there not really CCS and they're significantly wider than MMS it's hard to group him. As others have mentioned, MMS has a lot more carryover to CCS then vise versa.

In a nutshell: If you want to close the #3 quick throw it in a choker and work your way out to 2 1/8" then when you can hit that consistently start practicing out of the choker with the card.

My mom always said that I'm special. Now I know why.

:D

This board is awesome, thanks for the help.

Working outward from the close was an idea I had before, but I think I let it go when I had concerns that I'd have to use two different sets. Anyway it's too logical to pass up and work with.

Thick bar work and chokers: nice - will integrate both of them.

Thanks for all comments, I will save and reread many times.

This board is awesome, thanks for the help.

Working outward from the close was an idea I had before, but I think I let it go when I had concerns that I'd have to use two different sets. Anyway it's too logical to pass up and work with.

Thick bar work and chokers: nice - will integrate both of them.

Thanks for all comments, I will save and reread many times.

glad to see you are going to train both - I think you will be pleased w/the results. I would still practice your set like I demonstrate in the vid because I use the same setting technique evn when I go for a CCS - I will set it deep and then open it to the appropriate width to slide the card - doing this gives me max skin stretch to perform the close like in this vid:

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. That was my limitation, thinking I had to set and close the gripper from the sweep. The success I gain I owe to the members of the board.

Hi jad, I didn't notice that was you until now! :cool

Actually I'm quite the opposite. My sweep strength is really good for some reason but in close I lose power. I had been doing holds with the BC400 to strengthen that area.

There is no such thing as a "cheat" close. There are different sets for different certs out there. Ironmind uses CCS, MashMonster uses the MMS, and Tetting and RB certs use a TNS.

The best way to train your crush is a MMS set or even deeper. If you want to work on your sweep, start working on your open hand strength with plate pinching and/or blob lifting.

A TNS cert? What if you can't reach the handles? I bet a lot of ppl can't haha...

Actually I'm quite the opposite. My sweep strength is really good for some reason but in close I lose power. I had been doing holds with the BC400 to strengthen that area.

A TNS cert? What if you can't reach the handles? I bet a lot of ppl can't haha...

The RBs are narrow and the Tetting certs are custom made grippers by Warren suited for the individual so that he can wrap his hand around it.

You'll just have to get stronger.

Custom made? Wow that's pretty cool. Do you get to keep the gripper you certify on? I could sorta use some custom widths :rock

Yeah but you have to pay for it from Warren. The list of certs and details are in the Gripboard Certs section.

That may be half the problem. Even when closed, holds w/ the 400's big handles are still not getting down to the normal close range.

jad ru certified for #3 if its so easy how come everyone here is not certified. seemingly brushing the #3s under the table. it just seems everyone is worried about mm setting but i hardly here anything about CoC when in all acuallity thats the real cert we should be striving for. or does the mash monster guy own this site? ill admit it too (this may get me in trouble) i think mms is cheating to . for example whoopi do if you can choke the living shit out of a pencil neck geek! oh wait ill squeeze that skinny guys hand really hard and hell think im a MM! HA id rather put a bull dog down with one hand any day!!!!!

any way thats really not directed at you its just how i feel as far as grippers go.

It says under jads name that he is a Certified #3 closer, his name is Josh Dale so you can also look on ironminds website. Where did you read that he said it was easy or trying to sweep the #3 anywhere. If you see the MM set as cheating, then if you set the gripper for the credit card cert that would be cheating too. So the only way to not cheat would be a TNS close? I don't really understand where the rest of your post is going.

jad ru certified for #3 if its so easy how come everyone here is not certified. seemingly brushing the #3s under the table. it just seems everyone is worried about mm setting but i hardly here anything about CoC when in all acuallity thats the real cert we should be striving for. or does the mash monster guy own this site? ill admit it too (this may get me in trouble) i think mms is cheating to . for example whoopi do if you can choke the living shit out of a pencil neck geek! oh wait ill squeeze that skinny guys hand really hard and hell think im a MM! HA id rather put a bull dog down with one hand any day!!!!!

any way thats really not directed at you its just how i feel as far as grippers go.

Assuming that's your hand in your avitar I can see why you can't relate to the MMS. I could barely get my fingertips across 5 dimes, same with CCS on a gripper. I do the best with what I was born with, so MMS certing gives me some hope. We all weren't born with your genetics ;)

thanks for the compliment mlstrass your the first one to have a decent reason to work a mms. yea thats my hand too in the pic.

lilmo.you missed my point i think. sorry i did miss jads cert i was using my phone and dont see the whole screen. and of what you said, to me a credit card set might as well be all the way open, i got a good CoC #2 video you should check it out if you want to talk about no setting. ill cert for #3 one of these days but right now i got 3 lil kids and im in nursing school. so i dont have much time for lifting and grip work and all so i stick to the basics. and i really believe that unless you have smaller hands like mlstrass was saying, that i really see no use for a mms. dont be so defensive it just my opinion, i should be entitled that, we both have the same hobby give me a break

rico