Pda inch replica handle

Bill Piche

I started to train with this handle ala KTA before getting the Inch. I figured out why the Inch felt so darn sweet in my hands. The PDA inch handle is slicker than Joe's pot belly pig in mud!  The Inch Replica handle is not even close. Much higher friction with the cast iron.  I used to dread that handle because it was so slick, now things have changed!

Wannagrip, do you also own a Rolling Thunder handle, and if so does that also feel slick compared to the Inch replica handle? I am asking because my homemade loadable Inch has a pvc handle.

Wannagrip, do you also own a Rolling Thunder handle, and if so does that also feel slick compared to the Inch replica handle? I am asking because my homemade loadable Inch has a pvc handle.

Yes, I do.  No, it does not feel as slick. The PDA handle is slicker than slick.  The coating on it is nasty smooth.

The Inch replica at the Dinner felt the same way.  Personally, I think that lifting the PDA handle with 172 on it will be closer to the Inch replica than Mobsterone has reported.  He is probably right for his his particular equipment.  Slight changes in thickness and surface can make a big difference.  I think Jim Wylie commented that the Inch replica he tried was easier than he expected.  I sure hope so because I don't have that far to go with the PDA handle and I'd like to get the Inch.

Maybe a little sanding of the PDA Inch handle is justified in order to give it the feel of the Inch replica.

It felt GOOOD let me tell you with all that friction compared to the PDA handle.  I think keeping it slick is the ticket to helping me lift the Inch.  I can get some of the feel by making two hand lifts and releasing one hand and doing a negative. :)

I agree Tom.

I also think after the way it felt that some of the guys obviously stronger than me on here could lift it no sweat with a little specific work.

I am also going to build my one-arm dumbbell row way up there as far as I can as well.

Did I mention this new goal is fun?!  :D

My forearms have new aches in them and when bench pressing today the normal bar felt "funny thin". Weird for sure.

I’ve been training with two dumbbell handles, both are PVC:

Small:   2” PVC, outer diameter    2 + 7/16th “    (2.43”)

Large:   2.5” PVC, outer diameter 2 + 13/16th “  (2.81”)

I felt the same way, at first the slickness of PVC was annoying, but now I even attack the smaller handle without chalk, just to add to the slick factor.   I don’t think I’m at the level to add a lubricant yet, but it’s a thought.  That sound like a reoccurring nightmare for the grip addict, “Inch Replica and Hand-Full of Vaseline”.  Terrifying.

I’ve had great gains with the 2.8” handle, as each time I jump in weight on that handle; the 2.4” handle feels “small”.  More important than the strength gain, is the gain in confidence on the 2.4” handle.  When you get accustomed to pulling a “thick” handle, the Inch-sized handle starts to feel normal and even “small”.  Then, standard bars feel like a toy, and even “too small”.    

My suggestion for training for the inch?  Use a 2.8” PVC handle.  Slathering it with Vaseline is optional.

Peter Thorne used grease on his power rack bar and found he

could deadlift much, much less than with a dry bar.

One of the oldtime strongmen had a 'highly polished' handle

on one of his bells that increased the difficulty to lift it.

Inch, in my view, used a stud-ring stuck into the original 172

handle hole for the ultimate friction.

No word whether he greased the stud ???

I agree with Bender-I use a PVC handle cut to 4 inches on another longer pipe that I add weights to.  I then use screw clamps to hold the handle in place-it is smooth and it rotates like the RT.

I have been doing cleans & presses as well as snatches with it-

no comments on the weight being used :D

Rick Walker :hehe

You're right, the PDA handle is very slick. I lifted 78kg on it OK but there is no way that I could lift another 40lbs.  The plate loading handle that I have used in the past is about the same, and the most I've ever lifted on that is about 83kg.

Tom, if you can lift 172lb on the PDA handle I don't reckon that you're too far away from hoisting an inch replica.

Error on my part.  I don't have a 2.5" PVC pipe, it's a 2" PVC pipe with fittings or connecting pieces that hold two PVC sections together, thus it only being 0.4 inches larger.  

For my handles, I have a 1" PVC pipe core with duct tape and super-adhesive with a steel pipe over it.  Then more duct tape and super-adhesive with the 2" PVC over that.  It's solid, durable, stays centered on the bar, and screws on tight.  Depending on how tightly I turn the weights on, it's allowed to either hang loose and rotate, or is stuck solidly in place.  

I do a similar work out:  Cleans and presses with the 2.8" handle (Bent presses are much harder than they look! )  Pulls and lifts with the 2.4" handle.  

Jim,   I'm not that close, but close enough to be thinking about specialization to lift the Inch.  My best is 155, but I have more control with 150 pounds.  I think I will do something similiar to what Wannagrip is doing.   I do need to know if 172 on the PDA is the same as the replica becuase when I get very close I'm going to buy a replica or at least seek one out.

Tom and Wannagrip,

Ifound that one hand cleans were a really big help,especially the lowering part.This seems to put pressure on the grip more than anything.

It prepares the hand of the initial shock of the lift because of its non rotation.

Chris

Note to All:   Training with a slick thick handle and a lubricant is just plain silly.  Do it for entertainment only.  Use caution.  Heck, just don't try it.

Chris,  I'll give it a try.  I like the idea of a full body movement.  I've also been thinking about doing some continental style lifting with it, just to see how much I can get up.

Cleaning weights with lubricant is silly; deadlifting, especially

when the weight can be allowed to drop upon a support for

one inch or so, is helpful,especially if you do not release your

grip, but allow your fingers to be forced open.

:)

I was deadlifting my dumbbell, and my hand slipped, causing my thumb to snap into my hand at a high rate of speed.  I'm not sure what happened, but it hurt in way that I'll never play with Lube and PVC again.