Warning: Be Careful With Those Heavy Negative Pull-ups

G-Man

Since I plan to compete in a local tournament in a few weeks, training was changed a bit to be more arm wrestling oriented.

I enjoy putting Grip Sleeves on a pull-up bar to do many sets of pull-ups. I have dropped weight to about 243 (down about 20-pounds from a year ago) and did the following:

Medium Grip Thick Bar Pull-Up

BW x 8

BW x 8

45 x 5

Medium Grip Thick Bar Pull-Up Forced Rep Negatives

135 x 5 seconds

135 x 5 seconds

90 x 15 seconds

90 x 15 seconds

On the final set with 90, I tried to hang after my arms were totally extended - BIG MISTAKE.

I felt a pop in my left bicep.

After icing it down, there appears to be no bruising even several hours later, so it appears it was a minor pull in opposed to an actual tear - CLOSE CALL. Just to play it safe, I will lay off training left for at least another month.

The rest of the training session was right arm only.

From memory:

Thick Bar One Armed Machine Hammer Curls

60 x 15

90 x 8

120 x 2

120 x 5

100 x 12

70 x 15

70 x 10*

70 x 10*

60 x 12

*Indicates a 10+ second hold at top of movement at end of set

Although everything feels fine now, lesson has been learned: DO NOT hang from pull-up bar after doing heavy weighted pull-up negatives.

Edited by G-Man

Since I plan to compete in a local tournament in a few weeks, training was changed a bit to be more arm wrestling oriented.

I enjoy putting Grip Sleeves on a pull-up bar to do many sets of pull-ups. I have dropped weight to about 243 (down about 20-pounds from a year ago) and did the following:

Medium Grip Thick Bar Pull-Up

BW x 8

BW x 8

45 x 5

Medium Grip Thick Bar Pull-Up Forced Rep Negatives

135 x 5 seconds

135 x 5 seconds

90 x 15 seconds

90 x 15 seconds

On the final set with 90, I tried to hang after my arms were totally extended - BIG MISTAKE.

I felt a pop in my left bicep.

After icing it down, there appears to be no bruising even several hours later, so it appears it was a minor pull in opposed to an actual tear - CLOSE CALL. Just to play it safe, I will lay off training left for at least another month.

The rest of the training session was right arm only.

From memory:

Thick Bar One Armed Machine Hammer Curls

60 x 15

90 x 8

120 x 2

120 x 5

100 x 12

70 x 15

70 x 10*

70 x 10*

60 x 12

*Indicates a 10+ second hold at top of movement at end of set

Although everything feels fine now, lesson has been learned: DO NOT hang from pull-up bar after doing heavy weighted pull-up negatives.

How long do you rest in between your sets of one arm machine hammer curls?

I am not sure but would guess three to five minutes. It look about 90-minutes to complete the above. The 120 x 5 and 100 x 12 were both very tough, considering it was after those heavy sets of pull-up negatives.

That's sort of toprolling session. On Friday, I'll do the hooking routine, which would include heavy one-armed machine curls and arm wrestling cable pulls (using preacher bench facing cable cross over cable trying to simulate the arm wrestling "pin" while mixing up various angles and positions). This is done with both the Grip Sleeve handle for the heavy sets and a Rolling Thunder handle when finishing up with lighter weight.

As of late, I've been using a stopwatch to see how long I can "pin" the stack of plates - 30-seconds to a minute at a time. I've also been practicing the long holds until the arm gives out and then increasing the resistance to slam the weight stack down. The intent of this is to give you a sudden burst of strength to finish if you get stuck in a long match.

I don't want to experience a repeat of this (see last match) ...

...EVER! :D

As of late, I've also been icing the arm down between sets - really helps with keeping the swelling down and seems to speed recovery.

Edited by G-Man

I am not sure but would guess three to five minutes. It look about 90-minutes to complete the above. The 120 x 5 and 100 x 12 were both very tough, considering it was after those heavy sets of pull-up negatives.

That's sort of toprolling session. On Friday, I'll do the hooking routine, which would include heavy one-armed machine curls and arm wrestling cable pulls (using preacher bench facing cable cross over cable trying to simulate the arm wrestling "pin" while mixing up various angles and positions). This is done with both the Grip Sleeve handle for the heavy sets and a Rolling Thunder handle when finishing up with lighter weight.

As of late, I've been using a stopwatch to see how long I can "pin" the stack of plates - 30-seconds to a minute at a time. I've also been practicing the long holds until the arm gives out and then increasing the resistance to slam the weight stack down. The intent of this is to give you a sudden burst of strength to finish if you get stuck in a long match.

As of late, I've also been icing the arm down between sets - really helps with keeping the swelling down and seems to speed recovery.

you seem to be the only guy in the video that gave him trouble.

I dont know much about armwrestling but how come everyones grip slipped agianst Pete Milano? He would then get in the straps and dominate them.

you seem to be the only guy in the video that gave him trouble.

I dont know much about armwrestling but how come everyones grip slipped agianst Pete Milano? He would then get in the straps and dominate them.

When 2 big guys try to toproll at the same time, there is almost always a slip grip.

I will say pete is a very dangerous strap puller.

He is also alot smarter and stronger than most know

• 3 weeks later...

I feel sorry for the guy in the clip. You looked bored while holding him and put him down easy.

That was Ray Patton, brother of Dave Patton, who was kind enough to have me over last night. In the back is Dave and Junior Hostler.

I'll probably take that down once I start competing again and get some good competition clips.

Ahaaa, I recognize that basement. That was Dave Patton's house. You must me Garett stepsis. This is craig. It would be great to meet you if you can make it down to practice next week.

Man i would spend a lot of money for them GRIP SLEEVES !!

Didn't find anything like that in germany -.-

and the website doen't answer me if they ship also to Germany....