Pa Grip Contest

rico300zx

I was wondering what would be involved in setting up a grip contest in eastern PA. Pottstown actually. Do you run it like a bench press meet? Do you have it at someones house or a gym or a park? I have some cool Ideas. How do you advertise it? What types of prizes are given out? How do i Find out this type of info?

Rico

I was wondering what would be involved in setting up a grip contest in eastern PA. Pottstown actually. Do you run it like a bench press meet? Do you have it at someones house or a gym or a park? I have some cool Ideas. How do you advertise it? What types of prizes are given out? How do i Find out this type of info?

Rico

It shouldn't be nearly as boring as that. :D

Gyms and homes are fine.

Post it on the Gripboard.

Cash is best. Prize packages are okay too.

-Rex

Check with some of the grip contest promoters to see what they do. I have promoted a contest and plan to do so again this year. Some of the guys with a number of comps under their belts are:

John Beatty

Jedd Johnson

Bob Lipinski

Chris Rice(Climber511)

Aaron Corcorran(acorn)

Eric Milfeld

All the names posted above are their screen names on here unless otherwise noted.

You'll need to understand that we're trying to become a sanctioned sport. That being said, there aren't many rules you need to follow. Figure out what the popular grip lifts are right now, if you include things like 2HP and 2" Vbar and/or a freestyle bending event, you'll get more people just because they want another opportunity to do them in competition. You'll need calibrated plates, done at a post office or on a scale of equal accuracy, if you want records to be set. Just so you know, there are a few guys near PA in the top ten of the 2HP and some trying to increase their comp pulls. If you were to offer them another opportunity to set the record, contest time and their training/commitments permitting, you'd get some big names of grip to come out.

It's hardly necessary, but all the contest promoters around right now also offer food during or after their contest.

It almost doesn't matter where you hold it. I held mine in my 4200sq ft garage, and others hold theirs in their gyms or backyards. The US Grip Champs are held in a proper commercial gym. No need to get too fancy, unless your looking for an odd selling point. Just don't hold it where crocodiles could eat the competitors or where they could get shot. Those would be downers.

Prizes, while I don't think anyone expects anything amazing from a grip comp prize-wise, something unique is always cool. Since it would be a first time contest and you'd be a first time grip promoter, just aim to have a 1st-3rd place prize. Anything else would be up to your discretion.

Don't set the entry fee too high, do what you have to and then figure out your costs. Then set the price accordingly. I don't know a promoter that has made money putting on a contest yet. I didn't and I had practically everything on hand before getting started!!!

There is a budding organization right now, US Handstrength, that holds a US Grip Championships every year. Also known as the GGC(Global Grip Challenge) put on by the Diesel Crew. It requires qualification in at least 3 lifts or a podium(1st-3rd) finish in another contest to enter. PA is ripe with guys who want to get those qualifying lifts out of the way. The qualifying lifts are as follows:

1" Vbar: 290lbs

2" Vbar: 200lbs

2HP: 170lbs

#3 close in competition(Set does not matter and Choker closes are also allowed)

2" DO Axle Deadlift: 290lbs (I'm not sure if 1.9" bars are allowed or not)

Reverse bend a G5

There are also "wild card" lifts that instantly qualify you.

Closing a #4 with any set in competition

Break the US 2HP record

Break the US LGC Vbar record

Check with the sponsors at the top of this site for prize packages or sponsorship. Tell them your putting on a grip comp and would like some support. They are at the top of this forum for a reason ;)

Good luck man and I think I might even attend if it comes to be!!!

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Hey, even if it's just in your back yard it'll be fun. I'd like to see more Northeast contests myself (especially one I don't have to qualify for :whistel ). If you do decide to put something on, I'll do my best to make it.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm in South Jersey, just about 50 miles from you - if you decide you're going to try and get something together I'll do my best to participate and try and provide any assistance I can, just let me know as things develop

Hey, even if it's just in your back yard it'll be fun. I'd like to see more Northeast contests myself (especially one I don't have to qualify for :whistel ). If you do decide to put something on, I'll do my best to make it.

I would also like to compete. It would be great to see some smaller contests set up in the northeast. Maybe to serve as qualifiers for some of the bigger events. Let me know what you get going and I will for sure show up to compete.

If you want to talk some time please feel free to give me a call. 607-857-6997.

Zach, great information bro.

hey guys thanks for the tips really means alot! I am going to try something soon i hope :)

hey guys thanks for the tips really means alot! I am going to try something soon i hope :)

Just a thought, check out the times of the other grip comps, just so you don't have 2 grip comps a short distance apart going on on the same day. There aren't enough competitors :laugh

The next comp I know of in the Northeast is the Michigan grip championships over in Three Rivers, MI in May. My contest is in late July.

Pic a date that works for you and if you're flexible, ask in the contest section if it works for everyone else.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Since when is Michigan in the Northeast???

When I said "Northeast" I'm thinking within a day's drive of me :D There's a whole other freaking country west of me before Michigan!

Since when is Michigan in the Northeast???

When I said "Northeast" I'm thinking within a day's drive of me :D There's a whole other freaking country west of me before Michigan!

Haha, Midwest, w/e. PA is within driving distance of me, and MI is within driving distance of those in PA. I figured it was relevant :)

If you are gonna hold a contest in PA, definitely get a hold of Jedd.

Check my sig, there is a website with lots of rules and records. Any questions give me a PM.

Hey bob you got a decent web site, maby ill be on it some day , I'm interested n the 2 handed pinch lift it look to be up my alley

Zach thanks for all the info. Ill need it

Rico.

• 2 weeks later...

While it's great to get trophies and the like you can still hold contests without sponsorship, prizes etc. Providing the equipment and rules are as per agreed standards any lifts can be added to records list if they qualify. You'll also enjoy yourself. Add some food, music and usual horsing around and it ends up being a good day.

It might be helpful for you to attend a grip comp before putting your own as well. I know it helped me plan and execute my first one after making it to a couple of big ones before that.

- Aaron

Aaron,

I'm married w/ 3 kids I'm only allowed to go out to cut the grass. Traveling multiple states away would not work out. Now if the grip contest was near the beach........then I could call it a fimily vacation. Any way if there was something close to philladelphia or reading then I would definately go and see how things arew ran

The only comp in PA is the GGC and you have to qualify to compete there. You could still go and check things out and meet the top grip guys in the US. Guaranteed you'll learn a lot and I agree with Aaron that you should probably check out another comp before running your own. GGC is run in late August usually in Eastern PA (can't remember exactly where)

Even if you just want to take a shot at hosting an informal gathering and get experience that way, I'll try to come for it...I'm not concerned about prizes or anything, or even whether or not it'll count for the GGC qualifying (if there are four of us, I'm not likely to place in the top 3!).

Edited by The Writer

Aaron,

I'm married w/ 3 kids I'm only allowed to go out to cut the grass. Traveling multiple states away would not work out. Now if the grip contest was near the beach........then I could call it a fimily vacation. Any way if there was something close to philladelphia or reading then I would definately go and see how things arew ran

Rico - I'm in the same boat bro, only I'm one kid behind you. Long distance travel is not always realistic option. I've actually been trying to find a PL meet in Nashville this summer so I could group the meet in with a Vaca. (my brother and his family live in Nashville and are always looking for us to come down.

I'm serious about pitching in on a grip comp as much as possible, I've even been looking into locations by me in case you didn't have anything lined up. If you wanna give it a go, I'll do what I can - if you think it's too much for you, then I'm game to try and do a co-promotion. As you start to figure things out post 'em here or PM me.

Jeff