Full Rom Training.

lloyd80s

I'd just like to here some thoughts on this-

The first time I got my hands on a gripper (a #1), I'd never heard of a CCS, MMS, TNS or any other set come to think of it. I opened the pack, got the thing in my hands and squeezed it as hard as I could. See for me then the aim of the game was just to see how strong I was on these "tough" grippers. Well it was good for me as I managed to get it closed from what I now know as a TNS, it was the first time I'd tried so it was good times. NEXT-

I get the #2 in the post, I'm now really into closing grippers and I read EVERYTHING I can find on the internet about grippers. I start to read about "sets" and think to myself, if sets are the norm in the gripper world then I'll give them a go. I learn the CCS, MMS, Light sets, deep sets and 20mm sets. Well within a couple of days I'm closing the #2.....yay. NEXT-

I get the #3 in the post, it feels like a solid brick when I try to close it. I think to myself "well deeps sets are going to be then only way on this beast". I use deep sets for about a year on the #3 and eventually I get it closed.

Well since then I've been aiming at the Elite and playing with the #4 but I've completely abandoned the idea TNSing any of my grippers. My standard workouts are all deep-set based, it's all become about just seeing the handles touch and nothing else.

I know many people will say "well just workout using no set", and I know that this is what I and many others could do but I'm just trying to find out how many people doing grippers are doing them for full crush ROM or only in it for that massive grippers close-no matter what the set.

I want to know if anyone else has ended up like this?

The bulk of my gripper training is based on negatives, but when I do a session that involves just closing grippers - I always do CCS or wider. It was recently suggested to me that I should give the MMS a try, so I am planning on incorporating it into my workouts within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to try to do more training with all the different sets in 2009.

I tried NS in the beginning and injured my left hand trying a close a gripper that wasn't in the groove. Since then I do all MMS and open each rep 1/4" - 1/2" otherwise it slips out of the groove.

So Just from the few replies here then It shows that I'm not the only person that's abandoned full rom training.

I must say that the way things are going I think in the next few years anything will be considered a close provinding the handles touch and you do the last part of the close with one hand. Not a bad thing but I guarentee that with more and more guys going for the #4 you'll see sets almost disapear.

With the #4 in particular it's considered a close in most people eyes providing that they see the handles touch on a video. the set in most cases goes out of the window. Having tried to hold my #4 closed many times (and failing) I can see how great a feat it is to get the handles touching so I'm not taking anything away from the feat.

So Just from the few replies here then It shows that I'm not the only person that's abandoned full rom training.

I must say that the way things are going I think in the next few years anything will be considered a close provinding the handles touch and you do the last part of the close with one hand. Not a bad thing but I guarentee that with more and more guys going for the #4 you'll see sets almost disapear.

With the #4 in particular it's considered a close in most people eyes providing that they see the handles touch on a video. the set in most cases goes out of the window. Having tried to hold my #4 closed many times (and failing) I can see how great a feat it is to get the handles touching so I'm not taking anything away from the feat.

I disagree, most people would not consider this a close but an assisted close and hold, just because it's a #4 doesn't change the rules one jot. :rolleyes

I disagree, most people would not consider this a close but an assisted close and hold, just because it's a #4 doesn't change the rules one jot. :rolleyes

What you're saying is true but tell me one video you've seen of a legitimate ccs #4 close? I've never seen one but still loads of people have claimed to close the #4. I'n my opinion they have closed it but from deep sets, but at what point does a set become so deep it's not considered a legit close? If I set it down to 5mm and close it, it's still a close eh?

If I set it down to 5mm and close it, it's still a close eh?

Yes, but only a close from a 5mm set, you couldn't claim any more. Where do people claim MMS or CCS?

I'd have said Steve's was from parallel or slightly wider but even there he claims no more than a close.

It shouldn't be too hard to grasp, you should really only claim what you have achieved, whether it's an assisted close and hold, a parallel choke close.

If you are claiming a 1mm set and close then it's pretty obvious that it's an assisted close and hold and unless the set is there for all to see when claiming a close with a micro setting, then you're pretty sure to get called on your claim if it's for anything more than an assist and hold. :rolleyes

If I set it down to 5mm and close it, it's still a close eh?

Yes, but only a close from a 5mm set, you couldn't claim any more. Where do people claim MMS or CCS?

I'd have said Steve's was from parallel or slightly wider but even there he claims no more than a close.

It shouldn't be too hard to grasp, you should really only claim what you have achieved, whether it's an assisted close and hold, a parallel choke close.

If you are claiming a 1mm set and close then it's pretty obvious that it's an assisted close and hold and unless the set is there for all to see when claiming a close with a micro setting, then you're pretty sure to get called on your claim if it's for anything more than an assist and hold. :rolleyes

Yes, once again I agree. I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make though.

If you gave any of the #4 closers a #1 to close I'm pretty sure that most of them would do it TNS. It'd just feel natural that way. When the toughness of the gripper goes up you see people becoming more focused on getting the handles to touch than bothering about going through the whole ROM they would with a #1.

This is all fine but my original post was making the point that many of us (myself included) have forgotten about the full rom in our training. By only training from deep sets or MMS then you lose some of the strength carry over that you'd get if you were to only close grippers TNS.

ROM on training grippers is something I've given a lot of thought to in the past and I try to incorporate it someway in my training. Until I recently learnt how to set I have been TNS'ing my grippers, but I can see for progress to be made sets are necessary, both in terms of motivation through moving up the grippers and gaining more strength through closing the tougher grippers. It was always my intention to certify with my #3 TNS , but I appreciate I am likely to go for MM0 first. In training my hands I always stuck to the principle of using a full ROM as a carryover from my weight training days because I wanted a strong,healthy hand though any position of the fingers, not just 20mm apart.

IMHO full ROM on gripper closes is not going to make much of a difference. There are two muscles which insert into each finger and close the hand, they both work for all parts of the ROM and are therefore exercised in both deep and shallow sets. With compound exercise like squats, full ROM is important because different muscle groups are dominant in different parts of the lift and imbalances will occur from only doing 1/4 squats and such.

The main reason why I personally do not like TNS is because it puts my hand in an awkward position where I can not exert any considerable force. I have however recently picked up TNS because it is a nice feeling to completly dominate a gripper. MMS is great because of the maximal effort that is required, open handstrength can be trained in other ways such as thickbar.

ROM on training grippers is something I've given a lot of thought to in the past and I try to incorporate it someway in my training. Until I recently learnt how to set I have been TNS'ing my grippers, but I can see for progress to be made sets are necessary, both in terms of motivation through moving up the grippers and gaining more strength through closing the tougher grippers. It was always my intention to certify with my #3 TNS , but I appreciate I am likely to go for MM0 first. In training my hands I always stuck to the principle of using a full ROM as a carryover from my weight training days because I wanted a strong,healthy hand though any position of the fingers, not just 20mm apart.

i think it's requiring the strength endurance to close it from all the way out. i like tns because i'm the exact opposite of the guy above me, i feel i cannot get that explosive start when i try to set it.

I train grippers with a slight set (kind of an eyeballed credit card set). Each time I set a PR with a gripper, I take some time off and work on no-set closes. I feel like no set closes come quickly when the deep set crushing power is there.

This is an interesting thread.

It seems that I rarely set grippers. Although I can, and do when going for a goal gripper, the majority of my gripper work is no - set based. This is the way I have always trained, since picking up my #1

I haven't been training grippers exceedingly long (though I do train them often and have since I started), when I got my CoC #1 I honestly didn't know a whole lot about training grippers so I worked from TNS, because it seemed to be the place to start. Now I probably do about fifty percent of my gripper training from a little bit wider than a MMS with my goal gripper and about fifty percent from TNS with a "working" gripper. I feel like this is the best way for me to make progress and until it stops working I'll probably continue to work TNS

I haven't been training grippers exceedingly long (though I do train them often and have since I started), when I got my CoC #1 I honestly didn't know a whole lot about training grippers so I worked from TNS, because it seemed to be the place to start. Now I probably do about fifty percent of my gripper training from a little bit wider than a MMS with my goal gripper and about fifty percent from TNS with a "working" gripper. I feel like this is the best way for me to make progress and until it stops working I'll probably continue to work TNS

I don't think there can be any doubt that training TNS would give better results than only deep set....although I suppose it depends on what your goal is. A TNS close of a #3 is stronger than a 20mm set close of a #3 though.

Alot of TNS work makes my knuckels sore and slows training. But I try every now and then.

I don't think there can be any doubt that training TNS would give better results than only deep set....although I suppose it depends on what your goal is. A TNS close of a #3 is stronger than a 20mm set close of a #3 though.

I probably have too many goals - I'd like to certify MM0 at some point this year (I've admittedly still got a ways to go), which is why I train partially in that fashion but the top priority on my list is to be as strong as possible - hopefully the TNS work will help in that vain

After some thought. I remember last Dec. Paul Knight called me and I told him I got some grippers for Christmas. So we started training together. I had already grown comfortable with a MMS set before ever hearing of the gripboard. At that time Paul was certain that I was deep setting and cheating myself in training. At that time Paul was a certified COC but had taken a couple years off, and he couldn't quite close the 3 anymore. I could close the 2 a couple of reps at that time.

Well Paul called me one night and told me he found the Gripboard and we were gonna go train with Eric Milfeld. There Eric told Paul that with a propper set he could have a world class grip. When Paul started training with a good set, well you know what happened, his grippers went THROUGH THE ROOF. Everybody is different but. And you too Luke, your grippers have shot up this past year like crazy and youv'e been training MMS set right ?

After some thought. I remember last Dec. Paul Knight called me and I told him I got some grippers for Christmas. So we started training together. I had already grown comfortable with a MMS set before ever hearing of the gripboard. At that time Paul was certain that I was deep setting and cheating myself in training. At that time Paul was a certified COC but had taken a couple years off, and he couldn't quite close the 3 anymore. I could close the 2 a couple of reps at that time.

Well Paul called me one night and told me he found the Gripboard and we were gonna go train with Eric Milfeld. There Eric told Paul that with a propper set he could have a world class grip. When Paul started training with a good set, well you know what happened, his grippers went THROUGH THE ROOF. Everybody is different but. And you too Luke, your grippers have shot up this past year like crazy and youv'e been training MMS set right ?

Correct. I've been doing strictly MMS. I've only been training grip for about a year, and last night I missed a 181lb #3.5 by 1/8".

However, closing bigger grippers via MMS has always increased my TNS and CCS strength. I have never trained for CCS, but I can CCS #3 level grippers.

I think training pinch helps with wider sets, and like you, I do a lot of the open hand strength training.

Me too. I only train MMS. Everything I do is parallel or less, and I wouldn't train for anything wider unless it was a goal I had in mind. I started great

progress when I learned to MMS, as a everything I was doing before that was NS.

Hmmm, where we'd all be without the gripboard :ohmy:D

...his grippers went THROUGH THE ROOF.

Guess so ;)

Correct. I've been doing strictly MMS. I've only been training grip for about a year, and last night I missed a 181lb #3.5 by 1/8".

However, closing bigger grippers via MMS has always increased my TNS and CCS strength. I have never trained for CCS, but I can CCS #3 level grippers.

I think training pinch helps with wider sets, and like you, I do a lot of the open hand strength training.

MMS is primarily what I train, as do most, but every once in awhile I'll go for a TNS or CCS close - it is not necessary to train TNS or CCS because getting stronger at your MMS carries over to both. Its good to familiarize yoursel w/the feel, but to actually "train" it ........ I don't, other than ....... like I said, going for some hard attempts here and there.

I agree w/what you say Luke as far as open hand training - I think for best results on a CCS attempt, train thickbar as it will help you on the sweep more so than physically training CCS closes (IMO)

Further to my previous post and after a gripper workout last night. I was lying in bed assessing how the workout went (yes, I think about grip whilst lying in bed, ok? :D ) I have noticed that the last few mm - the crush is rather weak, but my sweep is really good. To give you and idea, I can sweep a 3.5 to just past parallel, but not quite shut a 2.5.

Anyways, this is exactly as we predicted, and I will have to start training with mash monster sets methinks

That's the point I was making in my post. Once leraning how to set properly, it became apparent I had the sweep but not the crush strength to make the close. So, training with MMS or closer on bigger grippers will develop the crush strength required to NS close the grippers I was stalling out on earlier.

I'd just like to here some thoughts on this-

The first time I got my hands on a gripper (a #1), I'd never heard of a CCS, MMS, TNS or any other set come to think of

Could someone please explain all these acronyms to me(CCS,MMS,TNS) :(

(I'm new to the gripboard and started training with a COC gripper yesterday, I bought the #1 and trainer a few days ago)

I set my gripper yesterday to just wider than parallel - i was using the #1 for my work sets for between 3 and 6 reps- and was closing it from a starting position of just slightly wider than parallel on each rep, what is this set called?

After the workout I worried that I had somehow been "cheating" by not using a full range of motion, but judging from your posts it seems that most people don't do full reps a lot of the time.

If I let the gripper open much wider i found my fingers coming out of position, especially on my left hand which felt a lot more awkward with the gripper than my right.