Want To Try Armwrestling

matthcarl

Hi guys. Lately I've been itching to try some new things related to grp and weight lifting, and I've become fascinated by armwrestling. I am a complete novice, and I've never even seen a real AW table, let alone pulled someone on one. I realize I am late to the scene as an unathletic 27 year-old, but I'd still like to give it a try.

Anyway, unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a FAQ section here for people like me, and I'm interested in any advice you might have...specifically about gym exercises I should be working on as a beginner. I've read all kinds of stuff about developing side/back pressure, but should I worry about that stuff? I'm not tryng to become a pro, just looking for a different experience at this point.

I am looking for people to practice with. Thanks to Bob Brown's link, I've sent an email to a local guy. I am pretty sure there must be some activity around here, because I saw a couple of names from people right here in Saratoga in the New York State championships results.

Anyway, I'm interested in any and all advice, even if it's just "you're going to hurt yourself" :D

Search youtube.com for armwrestling and broken arms. In about 30 minutes, you'll have a healthy appreciation of the dangers, a heart for saftey, and a commitment to make sure your arm is seasoned and up to the task before your go "full boar."

After looking at every broken arm on youtube, I don't care to get into armwrestling.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.............cool..................so quit driving and eating fatty foods becuuse car accidents happen to good drivers and heart attacks and heart disease kill millions.

I don't get this "Seasoned" idea........break arm is a position, even a great and experienced AWer can break their arm.

I personally have seen 2 out of thousands of matches and endless hours at aw practices and trainings, there aren't any sports that don't come with injury, heck even when I was in grip I jacked the nerver up in my hand pretty good from bending..........and grip is a very mello sport.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.............cool..................so quit driving and eating fatty foods becuuse car accidents happen to good drivers and heart attacks and heart disease kill millions.

I don't get this "Seasoned" idea........break arm is a position, even a great and experienced AWer can break their arm.

I personally have seen 2 out of thousands of matches and endless hours at aw practices and trainings, there aren't any sports that don't come with injury, heck even when I was in grip I jacked the nerver up in my hand pretty good from bending..........and grip is a very mello sport.

The seasoned idea is wolff's Law (and Davis' Law to a lesser extent). This is basic exercise science. I imagine there are some stats on this somewhere. . . Nevertheless, if Wolff's Law holds true for AW as it does for every mainstream sport, there will be more injuries per capita among novice (think lunch table) AWers than for intermidiate and advanced AWers who have trainned regularly for years.

I'm not shocked that you haven't seen many injuries at events and practices. They are likely full of trainned AWers rather than novices. I made the point because Davis' Law and Wolff's Law becomes even more important as you age. AW is a sport of unusual forces; 6 months training to addapt to new stresses would be wise.

The seasoned idea is wolff's Law (and Davis' Law to a lesser extent). This is basic exercise science. I imagine there are some stats on this somewhere. . . Nevertheless, if Wolff's Law holds true for AW as it does for every mainstream sport, there will be more injuries per capita among novice (think lunch table) AWers than for intermidiate and advanced AWers who have trainned regularly for years.

I'm not shocked that you haven't seen many injuries at events and practices. They are likely full of trainned AWers rather than novices. I made the point because Davis' Law and Wolff's Law becomes even more important as you age. AW is a sport of unusual forces; 6 months training to addapt to new stresses would be wise.

Bla..are you an armwrestler?

Bob, thanks for the info.

I have to say breaking an arm is the least of my worries. Risk of injury is something that comes with any activity. I lift weights regularly, and despite some horrific squat accidents I've seen on video, I squat every week. I have respect for the dangers, but I refuse to be an alarmist.

^^^^^exactly, thats the right approach.

Actually I have seen both a pro and novice break their arm.......like I said it is a positioln.

I coulod teach kids on a lunch table in 5 mins what to do and what not to do to stay out of break arm position and as long as they coulod pay attention for a couple of minutes and actually understood what I was telling them.............they would be able to jump into the worlds and avoid injury.

At every meet I go to there are lopsided matches where puller A launches off of go with everything they got in one direction, and puller B justy rips them in the other direction................it looks very painful...........and you would think that it would lead to alot of injury, but more often than not if they aren't in bad position they are fine.

I have known more people that have been hurt from lifting weights.

Hi guys. Lately I've been itching to try some new things related to grp and weight lifting, and I've become fascinated by armwrestling. I am a complete novice, and I've never even seen a real AW table, let alone pulled someone on one. I realize I am late to the scene as an unathletic 27 year-old, but I'd still like to give it a try.

Anyway, unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a FAQ section here for people like me, and I'm interested in any advice you might have...specifically about gym exercises I should be working on as a beginner. I've read all kinds of stuff about developing side/back pressure, but should I worry about that stuff? I'm not tryng to become a pro, just looking for a different experience at this point.

I am looking for people to practice with. Thanks to Bob Brown's link, I've sent an email to a local guy. I am pretty sure there must be some activity around here, because I saw a couple of names from people right here in Saratoga in the New York State championships results.

Anyway, I'm interested in any and all advice, even if it's just "you're going to hurt yourself" :D

27 isnt that bad for starting out seeing how alot of the top guys are in their 40s :D I think i was 28 my first time

• 4 weeks later...
Search youtube.com for armwrestling and broken arms. In about 30 minutes, you'll have a healthy appreciation of the dangers, a heart for saftey, and a commitment to make sure your arm is seasoned and up to the task before your go "full boar."

After looking at every broken arm on youtube, I don't care to get into armwrestling.

Over the past 21 years, I have seen many thousands of matches in person. This included a whopping total of three arm breaks. All of whom were novices and none were in a bad position.

The odds of an arm break are relatively low but it is exponentially higher if your bones are not used to the stress load. Think of the enormous stress of Brzenk vs Larratt - yet the odds of them breaking their arms are virtually nonexistent. Think of all the guys and gals who have broken their arms using only 10-40% that kind of force. It's all about conditioning.

Edited by G-Man

I concur G-man. It's like breaking a bricks in karate. A well conditioned hand will prevent your own hand's breakage no matter how hard you chop. Well, it's also how you positin your chopping edge for impact. Proper angle alone will prevent broken hand most case, but still conditioning is still critical if you want to go all out chopping down. I would say 2 years at least for bone conditioning in karate, very much the same for AW. But there're karate pro who broke their hand in chopping bricks too

• 9 months later...

I would like to give armwrestling another try.I just need to

learn the techique,so I can compete again.

There's a thread in here that has a huge list of videos of arm breaks. AW takes a good 2-3 years to really stand out. This sport takes a huge long time to get strong at. However, I can't wait to be 35, because that's ten years of AW under my belt. People look at me like I'm an idiot when ever that subject comes up, but it's because I love the sport. Where are you at? I didn't check. I'm getting a table tomorrow, and I'll post a pick so you can see one for the first time:)

I was in your boat not too long ago, and I've learned a whole lot, and have gotten really strong. If you have any questions, just shoot, bro. There's a good chance you'll fall in love, too. With AW, that is... Haha. :yikes

There's a thread in here that has a huge list of videos of arm breaks. AW takes a good 2-3 years to really stand out. This sport takes a huge long time to get strong at. However, I can't wait to be 35, because that's ten years of AW under my belt. People look at me like I'm an idiot when ever that subject comes up, but it's because I love the sport. Where are you at? I didn't check. I'm getting a table tomorrow, and I'll post a pick so you can see one for the first time:)

I was in your boat not too long ago, and I've learned a whole lot, and have gotten really strong. If you have any questions, just shoot, bro. There's a good chance you'll fall in love, too. With AW, that is... Haha. :yikes

Been doing strenght and conditoning for 21 years.Gave armwrestling a try at the kumite classic.The bad news,

I was to perform at there talent show.The promoter cancel the show.

So I was disappointed ,and gave armwrestling a try,the next day and lost.

I was feeling real crappy.

What's the deal? Everyone who tries real armwrestling the first time loses.

What's the deal? Everyone who tries real armwrestling the first time loses.

That why I would like to learn the techique of armwrestling.

I have a powerful arm.My wrist is very strong.

Well, I need to find someone to train me,in armwrestling.

Edited by Physical Specimen

So where do you live Physical Specimen?

and :rolleyes at the arm break stuff... look at boxing and UFC, then say arm wrestling is dangerous. I've been to about 30 tournament and yes some of the guys were novices... only seen 1 arm break and the guy was a pro (World Champion even).

only seen 1 arm break and the guy was a pro (World Champion even).

Who was it?

So where do you live Physical Specimen?

and :rolleyes at the arm break stuff... look at boxing and UFC, then say arm wrestling is dangerous. I've been to about 30 tournament and yes some of the guys were novices... only seen 1 arm break and the guy was a pro (World Champion even).

Right now! I live in Springfield,Illinois.But soon! I be heading back to Columbus,Ohio.