Specs For The Mmg7

Bill Piche

The mash monster cert was created by the members here for the members. And, as always, we would like to solicit your input should we have to create the MMG7 gripper.

For reference the MMG5 is at .312 at 1/4". The MMG6 is .312 at 3/16. I think a .312 at 1/8" could be the equivalent to some #4's.

Question: What should the next one be?

While we appreciate inputs from everyone, some of the most important inputs will come from those on the ladder. And, at all levels. I am sure those guys at MMG3 and above will provide some really good input since they have more experience.

Thanks everyone!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MalachiMcMullen

• Magnus

• acorn

• Bill Piche

I'm not much of a gripper guy, but I remember hearing the MM6 was supposed to be about 4.0 level? Or was it, and then the new Gr8 springed monsters came out and the bottom line went up? Either way, there should be a cert for a gripper at or slightly above your average #4. All that being said, if the MM6 was set at 3/16, set the MM7 at 1/16-1/8" with the same spring. No need to go to a bigger spring just yet.

Or even a Pro at 5/16"

I would say Pro at 1/4 mount.

- Aaron

whats the standard mount on a pro? ....... 3/16"?

I would say GE spring mounted @ 1/8" - 1/16" like Zack said

I think what we don't want is another jump from the MM6 to the MM7 like we have from the MM2 to the MM3 or no one will be closing that gripper - at least for a looooooong time IMO

I would say Pro at 1/4 mount.

- Aaron

whats the standard mount on a pro? ....... 3/16"?

I would say GE spring mounted @ 1/8" - 1/16" like Zack said

I think what we don't want is another jump from the MM6 to the MM7 like we have from the MM2 to the MM3 or no one will be closing that gripper - at least for a looooooong time IMO

Standard mount on a pro is flush or 1/16. And I've heard that a Pro at 1/4 is closable.

- Aaron

Pro at 1/4" mount would seem to follow the progression we've done so far...

Well i dont know anything about specs, but just make it hard enough that only 1 person is capable of doing it for a little while :) or else youll just have the few people that will soon do the mm6 be on the mm7

i would vote for a pro at 1/4"

but are the new springs Warren uses different to the ones when these were originally made?

The most reliable jump would be the pro at 1/4" mount. The MM7 IMO should really push the boundaries and ask questions about what is possible, like im sure at the time the MM6 did and does.

Since there are plausible reasons for each, why not have one of each made and see which fits the bill better?

Since there are plausible reasons for each, why not have one of each made and see which fits the bill better?

This isn't a bad idea. And if the GE at 1/8" becomes good then the other could be used as MM8. People keep saying the Pro at 1/4" would "fit the bill" and be "standard" like the other jumps, HOWEVER the jump from a GE to Pro is MUCH MUCH larger then from E to SE or SE to GE so I personally vote that we keep moving the spring down in a GE, this gripper doesn't have to be absurdly uncloseable accept by 1 or 2 people ever, there's always room for more expansion.

Bill have you considered making a MM8 at the same time for further growth? Or are you going to do the grippers one at a time from now on?

Hasn't Teemu closed a narrow Pro and did it even have 1/4" mount or was it normal? Keep in mind the MM grippers are only 2.75" so Teemu's narrow was what...2.5 or 2 5/8"?

This isn't a bad idea. And if the GE at 1/8" becomes good then the other could be used as MM8. People keep saying the Pro at 1/4" would "fit the bill" and be "standard" like the other jumps, HOWEVER the jump from a GE to Pro is MUCH MUCH larger then from E to SE or SE to GE.

Bill have you considered making a MM8 at the same time for further growth? Or are you going to do the grippers one at a time from now on?

I like the sound of that . . . . but if only 1 gripper is to be made then a Pro at 1/4" would be my suggestion. Yeah, it'd theoretically be a bigger jump than from the MM5 to the MM6 . . . . but not an impossible one & it would certainly make things interesting.

Dave

This isn't a bad idea. And if the GE at 1/8" becomes good then the other could be used as MM8. People keep saying the Pro at 1/4" would "fit the bill" and be "standard" like the other jumps, HOWEVER the jump from a GE to Pro is MUCH MUCH larger then from E to SE or SE to GE so I personally vote that we keep moving the spring down in a GE, this gripper doesn't have to be absurdly uncloseable accept by 1 or 2 people ever, there's always room for more expansion.

One at a time. Look at when the MMG6 was closed and when the MMG5's were closed.

Has anyone experimented with a pro at 1/4" or 5/16" mount? I like the idea of using a pro, but only if its possible to close. No sense in making an MM7 that wont be closed for 10 years

Why not?

Teemu's BB Pro vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMxj2bEymeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zd5dUM-HSc...feature=related

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Has anyone experimented with a pro at 1/4" or 5/16" mount? I like the idea of using a pro, but only if its possible to close. No sense in making an MM7 that wont be closed for 10 years

Why not?

Because it's supposed to be challenging not nearly impossible. Imagine if there was no cert steel between the Bastard and KOAB, might throw a few people off the trail without something to shoot for. We can always make more down the line but with relatively small jumps between all of the previous grippers I see no reason to make a humongous one here.

Bill, it was only about 6 months but I see your point as we're getting to even more elite territory with this one.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Why not?

Teemu's BB Pro vids:

The harder the MM7 gripper is, up to a point, the more it's going to accelerate the development of the sport.

I bet Randall considered all sorts of strengths lower than the strength he actually decided on for the #4. "This is unreasonably hard," some people surely said. "Nobody will ever close this". I wonder if the development of the sport would have been slower had he chosen a thinner spring for the #4. It seems plausible.

I suggest that the MM7 push the limits of human potential.

-Rex

Why not?

Teemu's BB Pro vids:

The harder the MM7 gripper is, up to a point, the more it's going to accelerate the development of the sport.

I bet Randall considered all sorts of strengths lower than the strength he actually decided on for the #4. "This is unreasonably hard," some people surely said. "Nobody will ever close this". I wonder if the development of the sport would have been slower had he chosen a thinner spring for the #4. It seems plausible.

I suggest that the MM7 push the limits of human potential.

-Rex

This.

What if such a gripper, a BBPro with a 5/16 mount acting as the MM7, existed when Morton closed the MM6? Do you all think Dave would've been happy being the first in the second rung and quit? My money would go towards him having at the MM7.

The only limits are time and pain.

These can be overcome with the mind.

Make it HARD!

Rex is correct in saying that a MM7 pushing human limits will drive the sport.

Remember, the #4 was not supposed to be closed. Now look.

4 minute mile? No way! This is slow now.

20 foot long jump? No way! Common now.

800 lb. Bench Press? No way! No big deal now.

1000 lb. Dead Lift? Ain't happening! Get the point?

MM7 = No way!!!

Go for it!!!

Mighty Joe

Agreed, and a good thought. However, if it is so hard that guys like Mobster, Chad, Paul, and Teemu are missing it by 3/8", then I think that its a little overkill with pushing the limits. Im not saying to make it just barely harder then the MM6, but it needs to be remembered that even a gripper thats 1 lb harder at that level makes a world of difference (ask Teemu), and when you factor in the bigger coil size of the pro, it just adds another variable that needs to be considered when deciding on the strength of the gripper. Make it hard, but remember that, if need be, there can always be a MM8

True, but what happens when you miss a gripper by 3/8"? You train harder and try again. Getting down to 3/8" proves undeniably that the attemptee has the ability to close the gripper with more training. Yes, 1lb makes a world of difference "at that level", but remember that situation is similar to RED benders just a few years ago. Who would ever think a 5/16 G8 was possible then? Raise the bar, raise the expectations and suddenly the MM6 has 4 names on it's list.

Yea but why make the 7th generation such a huge jump. It'll be the heck of a lot harder if you use a pro regardless of the mount, so why make this one so far out that it wont be closed for who knows how long? Im not saying it shouldnt be a bear, but I think at this level there should be increments that are doable like the rest of the MM grippers. The limits will be pushed no matter what, and whether its the MM7 that does it, or the MM12, it doesnt really matter because the strong will show us that there are really no "limits", and the sport will grow regardless. And for the record, bending and grippers arent comparable IMO. Bending has come pretty far in the past few years with different techniques, wrapping, etc. Yes, a Red was an elite bend (and in my opinion still is considering you dont see alot of Reverse or DU Red bends), but look how many different strength levels of steel there are between a Red and a big grade 8. Theres tons of small jumps you can make just by cutting stock down 1/8" at a time, but the jump between grippers can be huge

I just don't want to see a gripper 5lbs harder, 10lbs seems a good number to me, become the MM7 just so we can give someone a better chance at certifying. It seems pointless and a waste of Bill's money. Why make a brand new cert just so you can say your slightly stronger than the next guy? Why not make it a bit more definitive and, as Rex said, push the limits of what is humanly possible? I'm talking about a 215lb gripper or thereabouts, not a 230lb paperweight.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen