Question About 5&6 Dime Lifts

Adam Moyers

I finally got 6 CAP 10lb plates today at a Dick's Sporting goods. Is it acceptable to file the sharp edges just enough so it doesn't cut my thumb? I don't want to make this feat easier by any means, I want to earn it by being strong enough to do it. 4 dimes came up EASY both left and right. When I tried 5 the edge cut the skin close to the base of my thumb. If anyone has tips on how to keep the plates from cutting the skin on the thumb I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Go ahead and file the edges down a bit. It's a grip feat, not a pain tolerance/skin toughness feat. Your skin will eventually toughen up in that area with repeated usage, but pinch training, especially wide pinch training, always takes a tole on the thumb webbing.

I have some tens that have very sharp edges and some that are slightly rounded. I would not think rounding them slightly would be a problem, it accomplishes the same thing as having plates that are a little rounded, but since Jedd is the records guy, I would wait on him for a definitive answer.

Thanks for the replies, I will wait on Jedd before I do anything to the plates.

If you can't modify them - go buy two for the outside that are rounded already (many are) - sharp is stupid - you can't train hard with big holes in your thumbs. I would take the angle grinder to two plates to train with - if it turns out you aren't allowed to cert that way - simply put those two inside for the cert process and take the pain for the cert itself.

I say go ahead and grind them down a bit. I mean, we're talking about a couple of ounces coming off the plates.

Why cut your thumb up, ya know?

Now if you go and grind the sh*t out of your plates so they only weigh 9 lbs apiece, then that is ridiculous. Seasoning of the plates, texturing due to regular use, is going to give you more advantage for plate pinching than rounding an inch long area off the plates so you don't cut yourself.

But before this turns into a slippery slope, keep it within reason. Grind just enough so you have a safe area to pinch on and not too much more. Find out how they fit together well and grind the top of the outside plates. Keep the rest of them normal.

That's how I see it.

Thanks for the clarification Jedd. I just rounded the spot where my thumb and fingers went on the outside plates. The video is processing on youtube now, will post it in another thread when it gets done.

You don't even do the entire plate. Just do it to one platein the area your thumb's on. I've got some Weiders with some sharp edges. Haven't done anything about it yet. Thumbs always end up bleeding at the end of 2hp.

Edited by Magnus

You don't even do the entire plate. Just do it to one platein the area your thumb's on. I've got some Weiders with some sharp edges. Haven't done anything about it yet. Thumbs always end up bleeding at the end of 2hp.

Right just do like an inch and there you go.

My 6 dimes are rediculously sharp. They cuts slices in my blob callous within 2-3 attempts and if I'm off that callous 1-2 pulls is all I get before getting cut. I just tape my thumbs for training. It makes it harder but when I take the tape off to see where I'm at, it feels like I've got some extra juice.

Just a bit of information for anyone who might care. I once tried grinding off 1 oz on a 10# plate to bring it to exactly 10#. I quit after 20 minutes with the angle grinder with no significant change in the weight of the plate. So don't think you're going to grind your way into any advantage by a little smoothing out on the edges of your plates. The advantage will come with being able to train longer and harder with less pain - and that just might help your results.

Just a bit of information for anyone who might care. I once tried grinding off 1 oz on a 10# plate to bring it to exactly 10#. I quit after 20 minutes with the angle grinder with no significant change in the weight of the plate. So don't think you're going to grind your way into any advantage by a little smoothing out on the edges of your plates. The advantage will come with being able to train longer and harder with less pain - and that just might help your results.

Would have to agree with Chris and Jedd on this. On a width lift like 5 or 6 10's it quickly becomes a slippery slope but given there is no minimum width, I think it's fine, just use some common sense. Of course, I'm sure the pisspants purists will crybabying it up over this one. The other option is just bang the $hit out of the edges to blunt them but do it all over and then claim they got that way from being "used" for years in a gym :D

Thanks for the replies, I only rounded a small spot on the outside plates. It's been over 3 hours and youtube is still processing the video. It only took like 15 minutes for my last video. I don't know what the deal is.

It's slow sometimes, no problem.