Blob Question

Jeff Parker

I have a goal of lifting a 50lb blob at the mgc7 (if there is going to be one there) and getting it on video.

I will not be getting one before then but I do have a 42.5 lb blob. I know its different becasuse its not just heavier but the size is larger too, but I would still like to get an idea from blob lifters what kind of added weight do you think would transfer over to the strength needed for a blob lift. I was thinking maybe total weight of 55lbs?

I have not tried to add weight yet, I just got it today, but right now I can full deadlift it with both hands, do a middle and ring finger full deadlift with my right, and a few inches with my left, as well as about a foot in the air with just my index and middle finger right handed.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.

At gripmas I was able to lift a blob for the first time. at the time in my training I was pulling my 45# hex with 10# added for reps during my workouts. I'd say not to worry about it. just keep adding weight and working it and you'll get there.

brent

It depends largely on textures, sizes, exact weights, and slopes, but assuming a standard texture and sloping I'd say 55 would give you a good shot and with 58-60 you'd be nearly guaranteed a lift.

Work on overhand tossing your 42.5 for reps. When I could overhand toss the 42.5 20 times in a row I could overhand toss the 50...which ought to carryover to a full deadlift... maybe... given texture... shape... weight... handsize... mumble.. specific gravity.... mutter... number of filipinos in the room

Work on overhand tossing your 42.5 for reps. When I could overhand toss the 42.5 20 times in a row I could overhand toss the 50...which ought to carryover to a full deadlift... maybe... given texture... shape... weight... handsize... mumble.. specific gravity.... mutter... number of filipinos in the room

Overhand tosses? Is this tossing it back and forth between hands?

just tried adding weight. Got 6 pounds with the right and 2.5 with the left. I have a lot of work to do before May!

weight added to my 42.5 , ive done 42.5 + 8.5 full lift

and the Blob just a bit of air, Im guessing overhand tossing will work great for you

also maye negatives on the BLOB50 once a week as well

Yes, overhand tossing is throwing it back and forth hand to hand catching it each time in a pinch grip. Excellent strength builder. Each time you catch it your hand is in a slightly different position, thereby allowing you to get away from some of the specificity of isometric training.

Edited by Sean Dockery

I would like to add a question to this. Does anyone know what the largest blob lifted with just the thumb and index finger is?

Has anyone done a 50lb blob?

a 50lb blob plus weight?

I have done my 30lb blob I just got from derek this way, but I cannot do the 42.5lb with just index and thumb.

I would like to add a question to this. Does anyone know what the largest blob lifted with just the thumb and index finger is?

Has anyone done a 50lb blob?

a 50lb blob plus weight?

I have done my 30lb blob I just got from derek this way, but I cannot do the 42.5lb with just index and thumb.

I can do my 35 with my middle finger easily, and I have gotten significant air under my 40 the same way (haven't tried on this latest strength jump though, I think I could get it now). Richard Sorin got air under a 50 with just middle http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6YoAhTfmX-Q&...re=channel_page Can't remember if he ever fully did it. Index is much more awkward then middle for me, plus with middle you get the assistance of the index on the top.

yeah, index is a bit awkward because your knuckels are on the top of the blob. I just tried my 42.5 with middle only and it cam up about as much as richards did in the video you linked. I am going to work on that for a full deadlift with the 42.5

Thanks for the 30 by the way Derek, it works great for the tosses that sean reccomended as I cant toss the 42.5 to my left at all.