Aw Comp 05/09

andyfreeland

Hello all, I have a couple questions for the tourney experienced arm wrestlers of the board. I am going to compete in a tourney in May and would like to know:

1. I am currently 6' 215 lbs, 15% body fat. I have great discipline with diet and have enough time to get to whatever weight I need to. What would be an ideal/eaiser weight class? Or just a good weight class for beginners?

2. I have good overall strength and can beat 90% of people across a bar room table but have little experience on a real table. I will be getting one soon and would like to know what would be the most important excercizes to start conditioning my arm for a tourney?

3. Any general tips from experienced arm wrestlers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hello all, I have a couple questions for the tourney experienced arm wrestlers of the board. I am going to compete in a tourney in May and would like to know:

1. I am currently 6' 215 lbs, 15% body fat. I have great discipline with diet and have enough time to get to whatever weight I need to. What would be an ideal/eaiser weight class? Or just a good weight class for beginners? I'm assuming you'll pull novice and they usually have some type of cut off like 199+ so obviously if you can get under that cattle call weight you'd be in better shape. As far as open/pro class, they're are no easy classes. It just depends on who shows up that day.

2. I have good overall strength and can beat 90% of people across a bar room table but have little experience on a real table. I will be getting one soon and would like to know what would be the most important excercizes to start conditioning my arm for a tourney?

pull everyone you can on your new table, that's the best way

Stay out of the break-arm position and watch some videos, especially of the break arm position, if you don't know what it is. www.northeastboard.com is a great message board for AWs and most of the best pullers in the world are there. Engin Terzi also has a site; I believe it's enginterzi.net and there are treasure trove of instructional videos on there as well but you do have to sign up(it's free).Thanks in advance,

Andy

1. I am currently 6' 215 lbs, 15% body fat. I have great discipline with diet and have enough time to get to whatever weight I need to. What would be an ideal/eaiser weight class? Or just a good weight class for beginners? I'm assuming you'll pull novice and they usually have some type of cut off like 199+ so obviously if you can get under that cattle call weight you'd be in better shape. As far as open/pro class, they're are no easy classes. It just depends on who shows up that day.

pull everyone you can on your new table, that's the best way

Stay out of the break-arm position and watch some videos, especially of the break arm position, if you don't know what it is. www.northeastboard.com is a great message board for AWs and most of the best pullers in the world are there. Engin Terzi also has a site; I believe it's enginterzi.net and there are treasure trove of instructional videos on there as well but you do have to sign up(it's free).Thanks in advance,

Andy

Thank you sir. My bodyweight tends to be structured to what goal I have at the time. I am 215 now only because I am working on straight up muscle gain. I can diet down to any weight down to 180 (in good shape at any weight). What I am thinking is that at 180-185 I will be a lot more powerful than guys that live at that weight. What I don't know is if it's like wrestling, where the most competition is. Basicly I am a natural 200 lb guy. I can gain to 225 or diet to 180. Any thoughts?

Thanks Bob, I have looked into this website. I spent a lot of time contacting people in my area. They only practice once every two months in Sac. and the one and only time I was notified of practice is was in Modesto (80 miles away) 2 hours before the practice started. I would love to practice live and I am still trying. In the mean time I have posted this.

Edited by AFreeland

I was going to post the same like as Bob did. Train with real armwrestlers to get better. There are lots of great armwrestlers in southern california (Allen Fisher, Vazgen Soghoyan, Jake Smith, John Woolsey, Harold Ryden, Bruce Way, and others) but that's quite ways from you.

at the novice level I would not worry about dieting I would just learn and pull.

The weight becomes an issue when you move higher up the ranks and the pullers are seasoned and the weight equates to table strength.

In the novice classes the guys are supposed to be relatively new and won't know how to apply that power and size, plus there is still a good chance that you lose weight to tie up with the best guy in the room who hangs at lower classes.

I say pull what you weigh and learn then when you get the feel of where you stack you will be able to decide the class best suited for you.

I would hate for you to be discouraged like many newcomers so I'll tell you straight up, saying you will be more powerful at 185 than men who live there is gonna lead to a startling realization when you see 150lbers that will take you for a ride................................good pros of course...............but even at novice some people , even small people have natural gifted strength for the sport so don't let weight be the deciding factor. I pulled my very first tournament in the open class with no training and never even seen a table in person. The class was about 20 or so and there were some very respected pros there. Everyone could tell I was a stonecold rookie by my table saavy and set up.......so naturally I let them double cap over my thumb start my wrist back....yadda,yadda,yadda.............they took me lightly.....................and I smoked everyone and took first ............I was 195lbs..............and with the exception of bill sinks, rob sasso, and john ruggierio.........all seasoned and big guys............I ate everyone there after the tournament in all the classes.

Honestly, If you can train with that group of guys you are on your way, they are all incredible pullers and all around really cool people

1. I am currently 6' 215 lbs, 15% body fat. I have great discipline with diet and have enough time to get to whatever weight I need to. What would be an ideal/eaiser weight class? Or just a good weight class for beginners?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hello Andy,

A few suggestions that may help you get started:

1) Try to find someone with experience to learn proper set-up,

form, technique, etc.

2) Get your hand STRONG with various exercises such as thick bar training,

pinching block weights, fingertip pullups on flat surface and many more.

3) Allow plenty of time between practice sessions for your tendons to heal.

I'd say to start, pull twice a month until your tendons adapt.

4) Don't train heavy weights after a pulling session. Wait at least 3 days.

Use light weights for recovery from the pulling session.

5) Take some chewable asprin 30 minutes before you pull. Asprin thins the blood

and reduces pain and swelling. It also prevents arm pump too quick. I learned this from

Cleve Dean years ago. Thanks Cleve!

6) Ice your arm after each pulling session. Place your elbow in a large salad bowl full

of ice water for 10 minutes. Your arm should be numb.

7) I can't emphasis enough how important a STRONG hand is. Work the fingers

hard.

8) Up your intake of protein and vitamin C. Drink plenty of water daily.

9) If you can't find someone to pull with, get some innertubes, LifeLine tubes, jump stretch

bands, etc. and practice the motions with the bands/tubes.

10) Train smart, don't give up too soon. One good bout with tendonitis can deter a newcomer

quickly. Tendons take time to strengthen. Be patient and determined. Staying injury free is

key to progress in this sport.

I hope this helps you in some way. I wish you well in the sport. :)

Mighty Joe

Edited by Mighty Joe

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hello Andy,

A few suggestions that may help you get started:

1) Try to find someone with experience to learn proper set-up,

form, technique, etc.

2) Get your hand STRONG with various exercises such as thick bar training,

pinching block weights, fingertip pullups on flat surface and many more.

3) Allow plenty of time between practice sessions for your tendons to heal.

I'd say to start, pull twice a month until your tendons adapt.

4) Don't train heavy weights after a pulling session. Wait at least 3 days.

Use light weights for recovery from the pulling session.

5) Take some chewable asprin 30 minutes before you pull. Asprin thins the blood

and reduces pain and swelling. It also prevents arm pump too quick. I learned this from

Cleve Dean years ago. Thanks Cleve!

6) Ice your arm after each pulling session. Place your elbow in a large salad bowl full

of ice water for 10 minutes. Your arm should be numb.

7) I can't emphasis enough how important a STRONG hand is. Work the fingers

hard.

8) Up your intake of protein and vitamin C. Drink plenty of water daily.

9) If you can't find someone to pull with, get some innertubes, LifeLine tubes, jump stretch

bands, etc. and practice the motions with the bands/tubes.

10) Train smart, don't give up too soon. One good bout with tendonitis can deter a newcomer

quickly. Tendons take time to strengthen. Be patient and determined. Staying injury free is

key to progress in this sport.

I hope this helps you in some way. I wish you well in the sport. :)

Mighty Joe

Great Info Joe! Thanks